Average Hours and Average Pay

What is the average hours per week and pay?

I see many jobs that are offered for min 25 hrs a week at 600NT…

I do not care how many hours aslong as I get 25 per week at 600NT … this will help me reach my goals… Law school in the US is very expensive… I just found out that I have to sign a form stateing that I will not work my first year… :help: … How do you expect me to live… financial aid jsut not enough…

So just like many of you guys… i am comming to save money… and learn about the culture before I move on to the next chapter of my life… the 30’s 9-5 professional with a house wife and 2.5 kids… :help: :help: :help: do you get the hint…

just joking looking foreeard to getting married and kids when I finish law school…

anyways… I need to save money…

Here is some backround info… I am seeking advice from people that are doing now what I plan do in a couple of months…I am always thankful for advice…

I plan on living with a roomate…

I do not drink alchool (I know I need help)…just water and milk…

I spend $5 usd a day on food now… (Oatmeal, Milk, Honey, oliove oil, and egg whites)… many many times a day… (I do not think food should cost that much)

I plan on using public transportation… ( I use it here in Houston TX)

I have plenty of clothes… more than you need …( do not think I will be buying that much…)

I know I will need a cell… (how much are those…) I will be e-mailing my family not talking…

I want to study Chinese at one of the Univeristyes… How Much… and can I do that while I work… most info said I could not study at a Univerisity and work at the same time… maybe I am wrong…

I do not PARTY (clubs and bars not other things*** never***) that much really… I like to go out and see the sights… and at night watch a movie… and a few times a month go to a club (2-3 times)… but agian I will drink water…

Girlfrinds :s … this is where the real problem is … I here about guys on here spedning all of their money on their GF… :loco: … I jsut cant do that … I do have a long term goal in mind…but do not want to be a monk while I am in Taiwan… but if came down to meeting my savings goal and a GF…

I choose my savigns goals… I need that money for law school… and I can always pick back up where I left off in the States when I come back… jsut would feel sorry for the first GF after a 1.5 - 2.5 year dry spell… :astonished:

anyways…

From those of you who are experianced teachers… I have giving a good amoutn of info… so…

How much can one save with my life style on average.?

Also … If a job wants me to work 30, 35, 40+ and pay me I have no problem with that… or two jobs…

I am comming to make a much as I can… but give as much in return in quality work…

Thanks

Go to Korea. That’s where the real money is. If you don’t drink, you could have money baths. If you smoke, you can light your cigarettes with a hundred dollar bills.

Oatmeal? What the hell is that?

Without trying to sound nasty, I think you should get a better grasp of written English. Your grammar needs to improve if you are considering English teaching, just being honest kemo sabe!
Best of luck, it can be a great life here.
Cheers,
Dazz

Oatmeal will do that to you.

…then thats forgiveable!! hehe

[quote]Without trying to sound nasty, I think you should get a better grasp of written English. Your grammar needs to improve if you are considering English teaching, just being honest kemo sabe!
[/quote]

WOW… Hold up… I am an honor student at good American university. My grammar may seem poor because I am doing this post after I have been up studying for the last 24 hours. I did not think I needed to review my work. I am tired and was just trying to ask a question. Next time at least answer the question that I asked if you are going to give a lesson on proper written English grammar.

[quote]you smoke, you can light your cigarettes with a hundred dollar bills.
[/quote]

I do not smoke.

How much are you saving in Korea… in USD per month… If you are working in Korea why are you post on this site?

I would really prefer a Chinese speaking country. Money is my main goal but I also want to learn Chinese. However, if I can save a considerable amount more then I might change my mind.

its cool brother… just observing what i saw…no offense intended at all

I am grumpy when I have not had any sleep…

Saving $1000US a month is a reasonable goal. You would need to work more than 25 hours a week, but not much more. My first year I worked for Hess and taught kindergarten in the morning and language school in the afternoon-- 5 or 7 hours a day. I could easily save $1000 and still live decently.

The girlfriend issue… well, that’s up to you how much you want to spend. There are certainly some low maintenance girls out here, but might be easier to land a high maintenance one. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you find you’re blowing more money than you’d like it may just be that it’s exactly what you want.

I want to work more than 25 hours … give me 30 40 50… I am always working I enjoy it…The only thing I really need time for is the gym… 5-6 horus a week… I would be happy working the rest… at least I would be making money…

$1000 US a month is what I want to save…1.5 years = 18K 2.5 years = 30k… nice piece of change… to help with law school…

You are going to law school also… right?

If I am spending too much… then it is time for a Blockbuster night. :wink:

I am not woried about the GF issue… the money that is… I am not comming to Taiwan for a GF… I am comming for money, culture, language, and the experiance of a lifetime…

I always find a way to get a GF where ever I go… for little money… I can spot a Gold Digger a mile away. …

You want to work more than 25 hours a week, maybe 30 or 40, in order to save as much money as possible, at least $1,000 per week? You also want to study Chinese, work out at the gym and have a girlfriend?

You’ve got too much on your plate. You need to pick your priorities: language, money or fun. You can’t do all of them. Maybe 2, but not all three. I know because I’ve been here 6 years and still can’t carry on much of a conversation in Chinese because, regrettably, I’ve been too busy to study, except for 3 months of lessons when I first arrived.

As for not working during the first year of law school, that’s a good rule. You may think you’re a good student now, but law school will kick your butt. At least that was true in my case. I earned an MA before law school, but there was no comparison between the two programs. The MA was like a day at the beach. In law school everyone is extremely bright, studies very hard, the competition is intense, and teachers push you harder than you’ve ever been pushed. It would be foolish to get a job the first year. But, it may not be so bad financially if you apply for state schools (many of them are very good and the tuition is cheaper), apply for all available grants and scholarships, and of course save as much as possible in advance.

[quote=“shanem2778”]I want to work more than 25 hours … give me 30 40 50.… I am always working I enjoy it…The only thing I really need time for is the gym… 5-6 horus a week… I would be happy working the rest… at least I would be making money…

$1000 US a month is what I want to save…1.5 years = 18K 2.5 years = 30k… nice piece of change… to help with law school…

You are going to law school also… right?

If I am spending too much… then it is time for a Blockbuster night. :wink:[/quote]

These hours you’e describing…have you ever taught English before? You may be in for a rude awakening when you get here. For one thing, there is a glut of teachers. I know one person, and he owns his school, who works 40 hours a week. Secondly, 30 or 40 or 50 teaching hours will put your sanity to the test if you’re a newbie with no teaching experience. Your will to work hard is admirable, but reality can be a kick in the teeth.

Don’t get me wrong, it CAN be done. Teaching, private classes and some editting on the side. Hell I’ve done it too; however, I was doing it after having taught for a couple of years.

You need to pick a location firstly that can give you the kind of hours you want and allow the private classes to supplement your income. It’s easy to avoid the nightlife. Just don’t go to bars and clubs. But what about friends? I hope you’re not another one of those noobs that says acts as though he or she is transferring to a new school and “I don’t need any friends, Mom. I’m going to work!”

Not meaning to pop your balloon, just trying to let some air out of it. :slight_smile:

peace
jds

I have found that it is better to plan to save a % of your salary as opposed to a set amount of dollars.

I figured that saving around 75% of your earnings is a reasonable goal if you’re not a’drinking and a’whoring.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I have found that it is better to plan to save a % of your salary as opposed to a set amount of dollars.

I figured that saving around 75% of your earnings is a reasonable goal if you’re not a’drinking and a’whoring.[/quote]

Who told you? :smiley:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Durins Bane”]I have found that it is better to plan to save a % of your salary as opposed to a set amount of dollars.

I figured that saving around 75% of your earnings is a reasonable goal if you’re not a’drinking and a’whoring.[/quote]

Who told you? :smiley:[/quote]

All thos guys who were out a’drinking and a’whoring while I was at home studying the Bible. :wink:

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Durins Bane”]I have found that it is better to plan to save a % of your salary as opposed to a set amount of dollars.

All thos guys who were out a’drinking and a’whoring while I was at home studying the Bible. :wink:[/quote]

Hope you’re staying out of the dirty parts of the Old Testament.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Durins Bane”]I have found that it is better to plan to save a % of your salary as opposed to a set amount of dollars.

All thos guys who were out a’drinking and a’whoring while I was at home studying the Bible. :wink:[/quote]

Hope you’re staying out of the dirty parts of the Old Testament.[/quote]

I didn’t see anything dirty. All I read was a bunch of guys running around “knowing” a bunch of chicks. :s

I gotta ask… What’s in it for your students? Other than lining your pockets?

[quote=“shanem2778”]What is the average hours per week and pay?

I see many jobs that are offered for min 25 hrs a week at 600NT… [/quote]

you mean, you can earn 600NT per hour? That’s not fair!! :noway:

I am a professional Japanese teacher, but they only offered me 350NT per hour! I had to decline their offer as they made me feel miserable, but that’s the average wage Japanese teachers get in Taipei.

When I was working in Singapore, they offered me SGD3000 per month for 18 teaching hours per week. (1SGD = 0.589753 USD as of today)

Maybe you could try searching job in Singapore as well. Singapore Govn’t announced that the local employer must offer MIN of SGD2500 per month to a foreign employee plus one month bonus.

78% of the population are Chinese, so you can practice your Chinese as well. However, since everyone speaks English, they may reply you in English even if you speak to them in Chinise. :laughing:

Also, have you tried searching Tokyo market? I used to get JPY4500 per hour with my lousy English. ( 1JPY = 0.008592 USD: 1USD = 116.3881 JPY) I was teaching English to Japanese high school students for the preparation of Univ. entrance exam.

Oh, but we don’t speak Chinese.

Anyway, Good luck on your job hunting!