Average Hours and Average Pay

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“shanem2778”]I want to work more than 25 hours … give me 30 40 50.… I am always working I enjoy it…The only thing I really need time for is the gym… 5-6 horus a week… I would be happy working the rest… at least I would be making money…

$1000 US a month is what I want to save…1.5 years = 18K 2.5 years = 30k… nice piece of change… to help with law school…

You are going to law school also… right?

If I am spending too much… then it is time for a Blockbuster night. :wink:[/quote]

These hours you’e describing…have you ever taught English before? You may be in for a rude awakening when you get here. For one thing, there is a glut of teachers. I know one person, and he owns his school, who works 40 hours a week. Secondly, 30 or 40 or 50 teaching hours will put your sanity to the test if you’re a newbie with no teaching experience. Your will to work hard is admirable, but reality can be a kick in the teeth.

Don’t get me wrong, it CAN be done. Teaching, private classes and some editting on the side. Hell I’ve done it too; however, I was doing it after having taught for a couple of years.

You need to pick a [color=red]location [/color]firstly that can give you the kind of hours you want and allow the private classes to supplement your income. It’s easy to avoid the nightlife. Just don’t go to bars and clubs. But what about friends? I hope you’re not another one of those noobs that says acts as though he or she is transferring to a new school and “I don’t need any friends, Mom. I’m going to work!”

Not meaning to pop your balloon, just trying to let some air out of it. :slight_smile:

peace
jds[/quote]

[color=blue]I hear ya, JD! :notworthy: Could you give any guidance regarding selecting a suitable location?[/color]

Well my bubble has just been popped… I just been informed that I will not be able to get a legal job until I have my diploma in hand. I graduate in December and will not receive my actual diploma until April…

Looks like my plans will have to change…No Taiwan… I will need to sign an apartment contract for a year if I stay later than January here in the US…

SUCKS!!!

Well, well, well! Shanem 2778 if you really want to save money for law school, I am sure you can save more in Houston by driving a garbage truck for the city than you can teaching English here in Taiwan. That is, if you are willing to live in Houston as you will here in Taiwan. Get you a little room up on Telephone Road for openers.

That being said, these are the nuts and bolts to save money in Taiwan:

#1 Pay your rent. Can’t sleep on the street.
#2 Feed yourself. This means cooking for yourself with maybe a once a week splurge of 500-600NT for a “big night out”.
#3 budget about 2000NT a month for decent clothes. After a few months you will be surprised how much less you need.
#4 Set aside 1000NT a month for kiss off money. See how generous I am?
#5 bank or wire the rest home. Period. Period.

Oh, #6, stay out of the pubs. The only thing you will get there is the loss of your money and dignity. You want to save money?
Why piss your money down the drain and make another guy rich in the process?

If you want to travel in Asia and ride the elephants, wait until you have your JD and then you can buy all the toys you want.

You did ask how to SAVE money in Taiwan. If you are smart enough to get into law school, you will be smart enough to save money while you are here and still take away a lifetime’s worth of memories and valuable experiences.

Good luck!

[quote=“Persephone”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“shanem2778”]I want to work more than 25 hours … give me 30 40 50.… I am always working I enjoy it…The only thing I really need time for is the gym… 5-6 horus a week… I would be happy working the rest… at least I would be making money…

$1000 US a month is what I want to save…1.5 years = 18K 2.5 years = 30k… nice piece of change… to help with law school…

If I am spending too much… then it is time for a Blockbuster night. :wink:[/quote]

These hours you’e describing…have you ever taught English before? You may be in for a rude awakening when you get here. For one thing, there is a glut of teachers. I know one person, and he owns his school, who works 40 hours a week. Secondly, 30 or 40 or 50 teaching hours will put your sanity to the test if you’re a newbie with no teaching experience. Your will to work hard is admirable, but reality can be a kick in the teeth.

Don’t get me wrong, it CAN be done. Teaching, private classes and some editting on the side. Hell I’ve done it too; however, I was doing it after having taught for a couple of years.

You need to pick a [color=red]location [/color]firstly that can give you the kind of hours you want and allow the private classes to supplement your income. It’s easy to avoid the nightlife. Just don’t go to bars and clubs. But what about friends? I hope you’re not another one of those noobs that says acts as though he or she is transferring to a new school and “I don’t need any friends, Mom. I’m going to work!”

Not meaning to pop your balloon, just trying to let some air out of it. :slight_smile:

peace
jds[/quote]

[color=blue]I hear ya, JD! :notworthy: Could you give any guidance regarding selecting a suitable location?[/color][/quote]

A few years ago, out a well placed sense of loyalty, I worked 42 hours a week for two months until a new teacher arrived. Believe you me, that many hours (mine were in two different locations) will drive you friggin’ batty! Yeah, the accountant went out of her mind when she was calculating my pay.

But, believe me again, baby. It ain’t worth it. Learn the difference between working hard and working smart. Your boss is working smart and you are working hard. Got it?

If I can save 900-1000 USD a month I will be happy… if it takes 25 or 30 hours…

Keep yer nose in yer shirt pocket, and it will get done. Other than that…

I’ve been teaching here for a few months now, and the cost of living is much less than the US. Your money goes alot further, and public transportation gets me everywhere I want to go. However, going out on the weekend costs just as much as it does in the US. (Chicago)

It is very possible to save 1k USD/mo. It’s as simple as staying out of pubs/clubs. One thing you have to be aware of with the teaching hours here is that you are only paid for the time you are in front of the class teaching. There is alot of time that needs to go into preparing, and getting ready for the next class. 20 hours/week is more than you think. I would “ease” into teaching, and not sign a contract that has you working heavy hours right off the bat, because you will get burned out quickly. You can always add more hours later.

I didn’t have a job lined up before I came here. There is alot of turnover by foreign teachers, so that translates into positions opening up all the time. I didn’t have a copy of my diploma yet either. It took about 6 weeks, and I had it faxed over. I didn’t need the original. I’m glad I decided to come to Taiwan. I’m happy with my situation.

I’m studying for the Chartered Financial Analyst program and trying to save some money. So far so good.

If you put more thought into your posts, people will take you more seriously.

Remember that 25 teaching hours translates into 40+ actual working hours.

Rambling Rube, where I come from minimum wage is still less than 6 dollars in the U.S. and that’s what most working jobs will pay most people. Yeah, I could work in an aluminum or chicken factory for 10 dollars an hour, or work for 18 dollars an hour teaching English in Taiwan, where the cost of living is lower. People mention working for 20 dollars an hour waiting tables in big cities like Houston or California or NYC, but those are also places where a shoebox apartment will set you back 1000 dollars a month…so you’re better off in Taiwan, where I pay a princely sum of $148.89 (according xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi ) for my two-bedroom apartment.

One thing that people forget when they talk about the cost of living in the U.S. is that prices and wages vary wildly from state to state, city to city.

[quote=“Ramblin Rube”][quote=“Persephone”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“shanem2778”]I want to work more than 25 hours … give me 30 40 50.… I am always working I enjoy it…The only thing I really need time for is the gym… 5-6 horus a week… I would be happy working the rest… at least I would be making money…

peace
jds[/quote]

[color=blue]I hear ya, JD! :notworthy: Could you give any guidance regarding selecting a suitable location?[/color][/quote]

A few years ago, out a well placed sense of loyalty, I worked 42 hours a week for two months until a new teacher arrived. Believe you me, that many hours (mine were in two different locations) will drive you friggin’ batty! Yeah, the accountant went out of her mind when she was calculating my pay.

But, believe me again, baby. It ain’t worth it. Learn the difference between working hard and working smart. Your boss is working smart and you are working hard. Got it?[/quote]

No doubt. A lot of hours takes a lot of time out of your day. This summer I had 3 extra hours a day for a month. I was at the school from 9 to 9/10. It isn’t worth it. I found that I needed to drink and spend it to get rid of the stress. But that’s just me.

In Taiwan, more hours means a lot more hours out of your day travelling from one place to the other. Doubt you’ll find anything over 25 hours/wk at one school. Usually more hours would come from kindergarten. Privates are a pain in the butt because they always cancel. Privates suck donkey.

25 hours/wk at 600. You’d be lucky to find that. Maybe Hess (if you really want to work there). I think they pay 560.

Also there’s the “What am I doing teaching these kids” factor after more than half a year. It’s weird.

[quote=“shanem2778”]I am not woried about the GF issue… the money that is… I am not comming to Taiwan for a GF… I am comming for money, culture, language, and the experiance of a lifetime…

I always find a way to get a GF where ever I go… for little money… I can spot a Gold Digger a mile away. …[/quote]

You are “cumming” or “coming” for money, culture, language etc.?
Nothing like just firing off an email and asking folks to do all of your homework for you. Ahh that’s right . . . you’re going into the law profession, to be a lawyer . . . right . . . . that explains it.

Later Sheister

Well, if you’re comming to teach English, and for the experiance, you should fit in well with some of the foreigners already teaching in Taiwan.

I find nothing wrong with someone doing his homework before he ships out to a foreign country to work and live. Asking a bunch of questions to people who have stayed in Taiwan for years seems a good thing to do IMHO.

It may behoove the OP to ask more questions about location, rental prices, chain schools etc.

peace
jds