Average life span of cleats for road bike

So after a few rides and a few kilometers I noticed that my cleats are not quite the same than when I installed them on my shoes.

So I decided to substitute them and bought some cheap Exustar or something like that. Like a year ago.

And last weekend I finally found the time and energy for doing the operation. I kid you not, it wasn’t easy to take them out off my shoes… even a bolt was fucked up to the point that the allen wrench wouldn’t fit.

IMG_20180707_145503
It doesn’t look that bad… right?

IMG_20180707_145446
I’d say that the red part was bigger before!

IMG_20180707_150224
That’s the bolt that wouldn’t come out. The road had deformed it a bit.

IMG_20180707_150512
I didn’t even bother to try to take that shim out.

IMG_20180707_162152
I sell this one very cheap: 50 NT. I accept offers.

So… how many km did I put on them? hard to tell because I’ve been using them longer than I’ve been using Strava, but if we forget about those kilometers (maybe 500km? 800km?), we can say that these cleats have been serving me for 7050 kilometers. Not bad!

New cleats:

The problem now is that the sole is a bit lose, and I’m afraid that one of these times that I try to unclip my shoes from the pedals the shoe and the sole are going to say bye to each other…

My cleats’ lifespan isnt time dependent directly but more a function of how much I walk on them (commuting etc) haha.

Probably a testiment to how little time I’m actually on the bike.

That actually makes sense. I guess I’ve walked a lot with them too… and fell several times because of them!

Now that I have new cleats I remember how slippery these little bastards can be.

I remember when I first started riding. I went up Xiwan Road and it was too much for me. I stopped and instead of resting until I could go again, I walked about 100m until I regained strength. I wouldn’t do that now to save my cleats and also because I’ve become stubborn as hell on the mountains. Still pretty weak, but definitely much better than when I first started.

I think I’ve always done all the climbs ON the bike. But I still do stops and walk… and fall haha.

1 Like

Oh boy, good luck not slipping when walking into 7 or FamilyMart.

I believe Exustar sells ones with slip and without slip resistance too!

Mine are clearly the ones with extra slipperiness.

They are made specifically for those that are repressed.