Average World Gym price?

That’s what I meant. Because most people in world gym think running in a treadmill is the greatest thing so if you are a newbie in weight lifting they don’t even care to look you down. But in some the small gyms looks like the people are already body builders or the such. This is just an impression, I haven’t been inside to ask, but I have been to the door and took a peak everytime I passed by. They are taking turns in the machine with spotters and nice belts etc and the guys are huge and definitely not posers. So that would scare the average Joe and I also don’t think they would like to have a small guy unloading al their weights everyday. It also looks like, to me, that it is more of a friends circle, as if everyone is friends with the owner and friends with all members. I am probably wrong, but that this is the impression it gives from outside it is.

I use the public gym across from NTU hospital. Not bad and not too dirty. But, just last year I walked into the dressing room and right in the middle of the floor there was a turd. At first I thought someone had spat out some beetlenut, but when I took a closer look it was a piece of shit. Then one of the other people there sort of laughed and said, “poopoo”. Of course no one bothered to inform the staff. They just walked around it. I told the staff and they seemed horrified. They did take care of it right away thankfully.

2 Likes

It’s really weird. I was in Carrefour just yesterday and came across a poo in the middle of an aisle. I wonder who’s doing it?

Actually, come to think of it, I remember years ago finding one in the elevator of my apartment building. Very odd.

2 Likes

I have never seen a turd or poopoo in public in Taiwan.

Met some big pieces of shit though.

3 Likes

I live in Taoyuan, so I experience both.

2 Likes

You are 100% wrong and just expressing normal gym fears. It’s the club style World Gym places where you get the Instagram models and attitude. Go to a smaller non chain gym and you will get mostly friendliness and help. Also nobody gives a fuck what someone else is doing in a gym.

People become friends with the gym owner because a place is friendly

Running on a treadmill isn’t that great of a workout though if that’s what you are doing everytime. I mean it’s not efficient or that effective doing static cardio on a machine. Jogging is one of the least efficient exercises in general. If you want to less weight or “get healthy” there are more effective ways

1 Like

I have seen a turd in the shower of the Daan activity center. Granted, it was behind the shower curtain but was obviously from an adult.

Public gyms are the woooorrrstt! Biggest amount of idiots, bad gym behavior and just weirdness

I have had a completely different experience than you described. Just saying. Zero ma-fan. It seems to be a popular opinion to rag on World Gym whether people have actually had a bad experience there or not.

Ever since I was with California Gym… and had to haggle for a rate that my friend got, though I’d been a member for much longer… They wouldn’t give me the rate (after being a loyal member for several years)…

I don’t remember the negs now… it was a while ago. But it was a lesson in how to lose a good customer on their part. They practically already had the deal I wanted, but wouldn’t negotiate on the final first month/last month. Finally, after an hour of bargaining, I cancelled my account and walked out.

A week later, my friend called me and asked me I’d like to ‘take over’ an account or some such shit, I think he was asked by the staff… (no evidence). I just refused. I didn’t think the gym had any sincerity in their dealings… so I would never EVER negotiate with a gym like that ever again. It turned out that I was right, later.

My own failing was I had no actual leverage to persuade them, just the threat of a lost account. It wasn’t enough to get the deal my friend got. I just didn’t have any relevant guanxi at the time.

For years afterwards, I would get these ugly California DMs with the latest invites in my mailbox. There were, I believe, a few complaints to consumer standards about their shenanigans.

It is one reason that, when we run our business, we only offer 1 price and 1 discount to all of our customers. EVER. And if you’re not qualified for the discount, you can’t have it even if you ask for it.

While some of our customers believe in haggling, we don’t have time to haggle… we’d rather focus on what we’re being paid to do. So we let hagglers walk every time. And those hagglers who accede to our terms don’t usually stay. The haggling hides other issues that are more important. Overall, for our market position, haggling is a waste of time for everyone involved. But we’re not in the gym business.

2 Likes

OH GROSS, A TURD?!
NASTY!
How could somebody do that in a change room? They call it a health club
and people do that?! If I get a membership in a gym I would rather ride my
scooter and go home to shower.

I will no longer join a gym where the first people you see when entering are,

salespeople.

1 Like

Same.

After horrible experiences with gyms getting prices that magically dropped as I tried to leave, I personally decided to just do mountain hiking for my exercise. Free, is good exercise, and no slimy salespeople.

3 Likes

I agree gyms are overrated. Carrying beer kegs is a pretty good workout too!

1 Like

Can you do this though?

1 Like

World Gym Express recently opened and what is Express anyway?

Is that some place where you pay the same but get less?

Says $588 but I highly suspect with enrollment or whatever fees in the end you’re still paying getting screwed the same.

I wonder who goes to the World Gym next to the night market?

Express usually means they have some fewer facilities (such as no sauna or jacuzzi), and often is in a smaller space overall.

Someone made this fairly detailed analysis of Wordgym’s prices. What it shows is that in fact, their prices are pretty standardised across their network and price differences between members are usually down to differences in what type of contract they’ve signed up for (e.g. whether it’s a single gym, or can use multiple locations, the length of contract etc):

I’d say that WG would be better off if they just provide a printed, clear price list for prospective customers explaining how it works, rather than leaving people feeling they’ve been pressured or bamboozled by aggressive salespeople, when in fact they end up signing up at a standard rate.

2 Likes

I like my world gym membership. Just get over the welcoming asshole tax then 1088 per month. Mine is a huge facility with bags to punch and kick and almost never any wait time. I also go to a dollar a minute place closer to my office which has more eye candy and convenience. My contract is almost up and from what I was told it turns into a month to month. It’s on the wife’s CC as it’s cheaper that way. I only have a debit card.

2 Likes

Are there any world gym or other chains with adaptive motion trainers, like precor open stride instead of that matrix elliptical crap?
After knee surgery I need an open stride trainer to get back into running quickest… threadmill or actual running I cannot yet do and need a better way to get there than just cycling and cheap ellipticals.

I just renewed my membership for 3 years and the price went down to $988 a month. Can’t beat that. I’d be hard-pressed to find that kind of relative price in Canada or the US for example.

2 Likes