.avi/.mpg files on X Box?

Hey I thought these would play on my X Box, but they don’t!
What gives?

[quote=“the chief”]Hey I thought these would play on my X Box, but they don’t!
What gives?[/quote]

What kind of XBox (1 or 360) ?

If XBox 1.x you need to run a homebrew mediaplayer. I use XboxMediaCenter (XBMC). But first you need to have a modchip installed to run homebrew software. Once everything is in place, it works just great.

As ratlung said, XBMC or XBMP on an XBOX will do this fine, once its chipped etc. If its not chipped there are plenty of people in TW who will do it for about $30 USD or so depending on the chip that goes in it.

OK, so far so good, and thanks a million.
(sorry yeah, it’s v.1, not 360)
I’m flipped already, that is, I can run burned games and there’s a switch, I assume it’s the same flip.
Now, is there anywhere I can score an executable of XBMC?
So far I’ve only located source code, which is a ways outside my pay grade.
I assume once I have the file, I can run it off of a disc?
The Box isn’t really hooked up to anything except my TV.
Or am I screwed?

[quote=“the chief”]OK, so far so good, and thanks a million.
(sorry yeah, it’s v.1, not 360)
I’m flipped already, that is, I can run burned games and there’s a switch, I assume it’s the same flip.
Now, is there anywhere I can score an executable of XBMC?
So far I’ve only located source code, which is a ways outside my pay grade.
I assume once I have the file, I can run it off of a disc?
The Box isn’t really hooked up to anything except my TV.
Or am I screwed?[/quote]

Once you downloaded XBMC binaries, you might want to install it on your HDD. This has the advantage that you can use it as an alternative dashboard. Meaning, when the modchip is enabled, it starts XBMC, when disabled, you get the M$ dashboard. Another advantage is when running it from HDD, you can also use XBMC to watch DVD movies. It also can be used as an internet radio, and many other things. Just playing around with all the options will cost you a whole evening.