Avocado on Pizza

Nah, he should be serving the avacado on freshly baked olive ciabatta with charcoal barbequed chicken and sun-dried tomatoes.

Er, actually it doesn’t sound bad. Substitute the ciabatta for olive-drizzled pizza bread - is it a goer ?

Haas: check.
Not cooked: check.
Applied to my pizza by a professional (important!): check.
I will happily eat nearly anything that’s not hominy corn: check. :exclamation:

Sure, sounds great. :bravo:

PS:

[quote=“rooftop”]Aside from the high-fat, chloesterol angle, sounds good to me.

Heart-Attack Special, bring it on![/quote]

Avocado contains nary a molecule of cholesterol; no vegetable does.

Actually Avocado and Coconuts contain high levels of HDL (High density lipoprotein; good cholesterol)

However, Pizza in general have high levels of LDL (Low density lipoprotein; bad cholesterol)

Have a diet soda with an avocado pizza and we can see how good and evil negate each other to become a zero calorie meal.

Pizza the ultimate expression of life.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Actually Avocado and Coconuts contain high levels of HDL (High density lipoprotein; good cholesterol)

However, Pizza in general have high levels of LDL (Low density lipoprotein; bad cholesterol)

Have a diet soda with an avocado pizza and we can see how good and evil negate each other to become a zero calorie meal.

Pizza the ultimate expression of life.[/quote]

Mods, feel free to flounder this post. It is relevant only to ac_dropout’s last post, not to the question of whether avocados taste good or bad on pizza.

You’re incorrect, ac. No vegetable or fruit contains any cholesterol.

HDL is not the same molecule as cholesterol; neither is LDL.

That’s a cholesterol molecule; formally it’s a steroid. Cholesterol is insoluble in blood and depends on a carrier lipoprotein before its final dispensation within the body. HDLs are thought to deposit excess cholesterol in the liver (all animals produce sufficient cholesterol within their own metabolisms and require no additional cholesterol, which is, btw, a necessary precursor to several other body chemicals). LDLs will carry cholesterol around indefinitely within the blood until finally depositing them in, significantly, the brain or heart.

Here’s a picture:

See where the little cholesterol thingamabob fits into its carrier lipoprotein?

The mechanism by which HDLs in avocados lower blood cholesterol is thought to be activitated via another naturally-occuring plant fat: beta-sitosterol. It’s thought that beta-sitosterol prevents a cholesterol molecule from attaching itself to an LDL in the small intestine.

The point is that avocados reduce exogenous cholesterol by (1) increasing levels of HDLs in the blood so that the ratio HDL/LDL is increased, and (2) preventing LDLs from attaching to and thus carrying cholesterol about and dumping it in places it doesn’t belong.

That said, avocados are farking fruits, not vegetables. :blush:

Damn straight. Squid’s not going on top of it, it’s going into Squid.

Well I tried the avo on pizza last night and it was really good.

brian

One of my favorite pizza’s - avo, olives, mushrooms and artichokes - mmmmmm!

There are some substances that are alleged to be edible. An avocado is such a substance. You don’t need to have the organic chemistry detailed for you to know that the taste is so pungently vile, that even the vapor from this noxious fruit is to be avoided at all costs.
People who actually put this substance in their mouths and proceed to chew it and swallow it are akin to those who are into eating scat. Bent as a nine-bob note.
The color is as if something had gone off about four weeks ago in the back of a frat house refrigerator and the texture looks like a six-month-old baby’s diarrhea. Rotting flesh smells almost as bad.
The idea of putting avocado on a pizza is like asking if you’d like to have human feces on a pizza. The question is absurd.
Avocado is the king, queen and bastard son and daughter of totally repulsive alleged foods.
What next? Pizza with zucchini on top? Vegemite? Coughed-up cat-fur balls?

That’s just your opinion man.

Pizza … only 3 styles. New York, New Jersey and Chicago. What California says is pizza, and puts on it is not pizza. It is food garnishes on a flat baked bread. Avocado is such a topping. Can be tasty, but it is not pizza. No. :noway:

bobbe:

What? When I state an opinion I am speaking for everyone. Even the people who earlier thought they liked avocado on pizza changed their mind after reading what you so irreverently call my “opinion.”
Whatever I say is fact; whatever you think is the “opinion.”
Avocados also have been scientifically proven to cause cancer when put on the top of a pizza.
Fallbrook, California should be nuked off the face of the earth. Do you realize that a single mature tree can produce more than 400 avocados a year? It’s like a tree that produces little bomblets of toxic waste.

That’s just your opinion man.

Hmm… NT$299 for five avocados. Damn, I can get two HUGE avocados at the 24-hour fruitstand down the road for NT$30 and they are ripe and beautiful. When I mean HUGE, I am talkin’ almost 1 ging each. Anyway, I will have to try avocados on pizza. I made tortilla soup last night, cheese covered avocados with a tangy broth topped with hot sizzling tortilla chips fresh out of the oven, heaven.[/i]

It does sound wonderful. Not to stray too far off-topic, but may I ask where you got the tortilla chips?

I have also seen huge avocados available for low prices down at the corner fruit stand–much better than I used to see in some Wellcomes.

Off topic…non-flavored chips for dipping can be had at the HOLA in the basement of the B&Q in Shihlin.

Didn’t have time to reply earlier, but Alleycat whipped me up the tomato and mozzarella appetizer with avocados. Awesome! It got a big thumbs up from everyone at the table. Hope this gets added to the menu as a regular. :bravo: