All About Avocados

There are hundreds of types of avocados. What type are Taiwan avocados?

Wow. That’s a good price!

I go to the Hsinchu Costco and I’ve always been able to find good NZ avocados that are within a couple days of being ripe. They are expensive, though.

Easy homemade guacamole:
3 small-to-medium avocados, peeled and halved.
6 cloves garlic, or to taste (I like garlic)
1/2 lemon or 1/2 lime
1/2 cup or 1/8 liter Costco red salsa

Mince the garlic over the 6 avocado halves.
Squeeze half-lemon or half-lime onto avocado garlic pile (through a fork, or otherwise collect the seeds).
Mash together with a fork. Don’t be afraid to leave some small lumps of avocado.
Fold in the salsa.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Will keep for a couple days in the fridge in an airtight container. The salsa has enough salt, no need to add more (for me). Good stuff!

2 Likes

I think there are quite a few different types here, but I don’t know what they are. Just a few days ago someone gave us some very small ones that I had never seen before. Unfortunately they seem too ripe to eat now.

Eh Costco sells already made guacamole in individual servings. Very useful and healthy for a busy lifestyle.

I always wonder what ingredients have been added like a preservative or even something to enhance the flavor and healthy-ness of store bought guacamole.

That one seems safe ish.

Oh man, homemade guacamole, tamales, elotes…this California boy is sorely missing all that deliciousness :yum:

Bali Avocados

Yum!

Aiiiiiiiiiyaaaaaaahhhhh!
I made a coarse guacamole with lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper and a small scotch bonnet pepper.:japanese_ogre:

I make a large batch of beef filling and keep it in the freezer for lunches.

Awesome, but my mouth is on :fire:

4 Likes

Seems healthy, no chemical preserves.

2 Likes

Never liked vinegar in guacamole.

Seriously guys, you don’t have time to make your own guacamole?

1 Like

Those small portions look appealing. Often if I want a little guacamole, I don’t make it, because I’ve got to use a whole avocado and that’s going to be too much guacamole.

Maybe others have succeeded in making a half-avocado last for the next day, but I’ve never managed it (or at least not without needing to shave off a thin layer of unappealing slimy stuff).

The local ones seem to fare better in the fridge after being cut open. A little lemon juice can help the exposed side stay green, but the Taiwan ones never seem to need it. And those huge ones can last a week.

I have more of a problem waiting for the avacados to ripen.

You’ve got to get that right moment.

2 Likes

Yes, its easy to use for single serving. My housemate, she prefers the fresh cut on not guacamole which is not common in Taiwan, so it’s normal only for me. In California I buy the same brand, and I see in Melbourne/Sydney supermarkets (not sure its the same company, but from Mexico like this one).

Stick them in an oven at a low heat for 10 minutes or so.

I was thinking about that but figured it might just make it harder lol