Avoid turkey legs from RT Mart

just back from the hospital. this isn’t a once-off - had the same thing about a week ago, but was unsure of the cause. pretty sure after this latest bout.

hurling, crapping, and rolling up in a ball.

i’ve not experienced anything like this from Carrefour turkey legs. we’ve just moved to chung li, so i’m learning about RT Mart.

as an update - felt horrible all day long. managed to sleep a fair amount throughout the day.

6 spoonfuls of congee was all that i managed to keep down.

BTW, the reason i put this where i did is so that people would see it and hopefully not get sick. while it is a food issue, not sure that so many people visit this particular forum.

I buy chicken wings for the dog from RTMart. He gets them raw and several times I’ve had to throw them away because they’ve smelled off. I won’t buy fresh meat from them for human consumption.

Thanks for the warning; RT turkey legs are now off my list.

I know how you feel xtrain, and glad you’re feeling better. I once got home late from work – maybe 8:30 or 9 pm – and all the restaurants in my neighborhood were shut down already except one bien dang place that was closing up, so I bought their last biendang, which had been sitting out for hours. It was coming out both ends all night and the next morning, as my wife drove us down to Chiayi for our regular visit with the inlaws. By the time we got there I was exhausted. A few hours nap didn’t help, so they took me to the hospital to replenish my fluids with an IV, which finally brought me back to life. Never again will I eat a late night bien dang that’s been sitting there for hours.

The mixed duck, chicken and sausage biandang I bought at the RTMart by the Minquan bridge gave me cramps and the runs. That was 2 weeks ago. I’m starting to see a pattern here.

talking to buddy today, he got ill eating the sushi from RT Mart.

i may go have a chat with them tomorrow and see what they say.

I always had good luck with the meat and sashimi from the Taichung RT Mart.

I’m a vegetarian. :smiley:

Not to cast aspersions before May is out, but “luck” really shouldn’t be part of the equation when discussing supermarket food, IMO.

i have in the past been poisoned by vegie burgers too, and felafel rolls, and rice pilau, so you’re not safe, SD!

i have also had to return off cuts of meat to RT mart (bade fuhsing area). something about their whole attitude to meat and fish is, well, downright fishy. they’d never pass safety inspections if i was in charge. Hrrumph.

I simply absorb energy from the Sun.

Going on the road with it soon too.

Avoid any bien dang especially those from buffet-type places. You never know who has had a coughing fit in close proximity to the spread! What the heck, avoid them altogether!

Would be good to know which RT-Marts you are buying at, or doesn’t it matter, because the suppliers and/or the quality control is the same? I was always under the impression that RT-Marts are cleaner than Carrefours…

Now that will make a guy hurl.

I had crazy big turkey wings from Carrefour/Tesco a while back. Pretty dried out, but didn’t get sick.

Let’s get real with this. Most are saying that they bought pre-cooked food that had been sitting all day in a market. As I understand it, they got home and ate the food without further preperation.
Right?
Come on. Nobody would eat this shit after it sat all day with folks wondering by, sneezing, coughing, eating Bin Lang, pondering, handling and otherwise polluting your dinner. Now you buy it, take it home and wonder why the hell you got sick.
RT Mart food that is precooked is just like any other food in any other country. Cook the shit. Damn! Come on.
Edit

Rotten Torso mart.

BroonAmoebicDysentary

[quote=“Enigma”]Let’s get real with this. Most are saying that they bought pre-cooked food that had been sitting all day in a market. As I understand it, they got home and ate the food without further preperation.
Right?
Come on. Nobody would eat this shit after it sat all day with folks wondering by, sneezing, coughing, eating Bin Lang, pondering, handling and otherwise polluting your dinner. Now you buy it, take it home and wonder why the hell you got sick.
RT Mart food that is precooked is just like any other food in any other country. Cook the shit. Damn! Come on.
Edit[/quote]

wow. talk about assumptions. i don’t believe i mentioned anything similar to your suppositions in my OP, but anyways.

my point was to mention that twice within a month i had eaten turkey wings from RT mart and gotten sick doing so. this had never happened in the nine years that i had bought/eaten turkey wings from carrefour (of whom i’m no great fan). this led me to believe that something about the (chung li?) RT mart turkey wings is/was off. you are more than welcome to pop by there and try one to see if they have improved, but i’m unlikely to try them anymore.

didn’t see the reply in question until broon’s rancid remarks … :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d think you’d have to witness them pulling it out of the freezer or whatever and witness the chopping yourself. Hard to tell by looking at it. Or smell it first.

In Korea, the pubs serve turkey leg and it’s the same color as ham and tastes like it, too. They even serve it with mustard to dip. Same goddamn thing as ham, as far as I’m concerned. It’s pretty tasty. My boss gave me a hard time when I first got here telling me it was dog. My only “beef” is that they cut it up too small. Christ, you could bring in a loaf of bread and make yourself a sandwich. That goes for a lot of Korean food though.

How are you stacked up for steak in Taiwan? I never bought it there at the supermaket. Only chopped beef for stir fries. I get them to cut me a thick rib eye steak here. Korean beef is pretty good and a bit on the expensive side.

Eating steak in a restaurant is a no-go for me. Better at home. The steaks they have on display are ridiculously thin. A couple of the butchers there (except one that keeps bugging me to be his friend) always point to the display ones. Pisses me off. “Hello? New concept? A thick steak I can cut into and enjoy. Knock, knock. Anyone home?” Trying to tell me that one thing is more delicious than the other. :unamused:

They cost me about 1000 NT. About 2 inches thick and hovering around or damn close to the 2 pound mark.