Awesome Food in Taipei?

Awesome food in Taipei? I thought Taiwanese food was supposed to suck? :ponder:

Thanks for the suggestions. New places to try! Especially Roux…

This thread is great. Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

@Gain - There is a huge difference being saying Taiwanese food sucks, and all food in Taiwan ( or in this case Taipei), sucks.

I’m not crazy about Taiwanese dishes, but some are ok. I love certain things at the night market, but wouldn’t eat them all the time, and they are not for the most part good for you.

That being said, I lived in Taipei for about 8 years, and one of the things I enjoyed most was the great selection of different types of good restaurants. But the issue with restaurants in Taiwan is that they change FAST. Either they change owners, move, close, etc. . So you need to pay attention and be on your A-game,.while always being on the lookout for good restaurants that you hear about from friends or blogs, etc…

That is the reason for this thread. We are going to be visiting from Feb 28 - March 6 of next year ( after Singapore and Penang) and my wife and I both want to eat some good food, as well as visit with some old friends … And just to see how the 'Wan has and hasn’t changed in almost 10 years. We are really excited and are greatly looking forward to it. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for a zhejiang afternoon tea type of thing, like with the cold chicken, fried mini breads, xiaolongbao, that kind of thing? Down around the green line?

The other thing Id like to find is a good thai food place.

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=蘇杭餐廳&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=25012910,121502426,5127&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwjF7eOSj6HbAhUEkpQKHewhBEwQtgMIPA&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:5991040054639936223;mv:!1m3!1d1892.3106723783105!2d121.52190437276818!3d25.028620329462115!3m2!1i1500!2i804!4f13.1

1 Like

i couldn’t get excited about japanese curry after i found out the cooking method is just melting down a block of it. some restaurants are expensive to boot (tokyo curry wtf) although the breaded pork tonkatsu is awesome. katsudon is great too. theres a new chain doing that thats opened recently.

1 Like

Nobody makes their own? That sucks - I love my curries. I still don’t mind it though. And I do love it with a good pork cutlet.

Cool thanks! I will check that out.

Every neighbourhood will have its own go to Xiaolongbao place. I often get xiaolongbao at Chinese breakfast places along with dou Jiang, Dan Bing, all that stuff.

Sorry couldnt answer your actual question lol but I like those places too, can be a bit hard to find but I know a few around Xindian and Gongguan and Yongkang st. The quality and price vary tremendously.

This traditional noodle and dumpling waisheng style place in Gongguan is very very good and hard to find in Taipei these days ! You know the ones that give you a pot of oolong tea with your meal…
Classics like mu shu noodles are excellent.
It is also inexpensive.
It gets busy at weekends!

維綸麵食館
No. 279號, Section 3, Tingzhou Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100
02 2368 2634

https://goo.gl/maps/YWaVbZpQjFt

Ironically I had eaten there years ago and completely forgotten about it and just tried it last month on the weekdays when we could get seats for the family. One or two people is no problem.

1 Like

Nice thanks for the recommendation! I’ll definitely check out the shop in Gongguan sounds
good! They have xiaolongbao in the breakfast shop near where I live but the quality is off.

My youngest and her classmates went here recently, she said it was pretty good

https://goo.gl/maps/f29TQTWNF2z

Not, apparently, for the faint of heart

1 Like

I’ve had it (in the Sogo location) and it’s actually pretty damn good. It’s also a heart attack.

Not a bad way to save a few bucks because you definitely need to share it with someone…or two other people…maybe three.

Check out these places, no pork cutlet, but I believe they make their own curry.

Yeah, she said two guys got that one to share and they couldn’t finish it.

Looks like the result of a tonkatsu taking a vacation to Maui and getting a loco moco pregnant…

These are a few places I really enjoy.

Toh A (I highly recommend)

Addiction aquatic

A cut steakhouse

Il mercato in tianmu
imageimage

鬼金棒 Ramen

Taverna De Medici

!

好記但仔麵 (My favorite Taiwanese restaurant)

Mitusi cuisine M

Yellow lemon is pretty interesting, good for dates. Everything you see I pretty much edible

Le Blanc

Good steak and lobster and drinks.

IMG_1731

Maru Taipei
https://m.facebook.com/MARUTaipei/

Listed in the Michelin guide. The sushi chefs pick the food they give you.

Samwan gardens Korean restaurant is my favorite and most authentic Korean place in Taipei that I tried. Great Korean BBQ and traditional dishes and side dishes with great kimchi.

2 Likes

I want to be like you @Andrew0409. I mean, I also want to have loads of money.

1 Like

An epic post from Andrew! Thanks for posting!

Guy

1 Like

La dolce Vita .

Unfortunately pretty useless for us plebs
1 Like

@Brianjones check out 好記但仔麵. It’s pretty well known and it’s by far my favorite local Taiwanese place in Taipei.

Do they allow the poor to come in?

Just drop my name if they give you trouble.

1 Like