Awful Democrats: Their VERY OWN Thread

Along with Manchin, McCoy named 10 other senators he described as “crucial” to ExxonMobil’s efforts. Five are Republicans—John Barrasso, John Cornyn, Steve Daines, Shelley Moore Capito and Marco Rubio. Five are Democrats—Chris Coons, Maggie Hassan, Mark Kelly, Kyrsten Sinema and Jon Tester.

You mean he wasn’t that rock-ribbed example of steely integritude we were assured he was? He is actually a bought-and-paid for creature who Exxonmobil uses to torpedo any meaningful action on climate change? Say it ain’t so, Joe! (Actually, he can’t say that, because it is so.)

I think I would withhold judgement on that one.

Nom nom nom

Sen. Joe Manchin is ruling out borrowing money to finance a party-line infrastructure package as Senate Democrats deliberate the range of tax increases that would be needed to pay for President Joe Biden’s agenda.

'I think everything should be paid for now," he told reporters. “I think we’ve put enough free money out.”

Manchin later told reporters on Tuesday he would only back an infrastructure package that was fully financed by tax revenue, adding, “How much debt can y’all handle?” He wants to do this with tax increases, though he favors less aggressive measures than Biden put forward such as a smaller corporate tax bump.

“I think we’ve incurred over 28 and a half trillion dollars of debt and I’d like to start paying for it,” he told reporters, referring to the national debt that the US government has accumulated over several decades.

In today’s news, Joe Manchin, man of integritude, expresses reservations about climate change legislation:

“I’m concerned also about maintaining the energy independence the United States of America has,” he told reporters Wednesday after talking with President Joe Biden at a lunch. “And with that you cannot be moving towards eliminating fossil, you should be innovating and using more technology, and we should be leading the rest of the world in the technology that you can use all of the above energy sources, and I told him that I was concerned about some of the language I’ve seen that moves away from fossil.”

Also in the news, Manchins flies down to Texas to accept bribe, er, ‘fund-raising’, from Texas oil bidness:

“We invite you to join us for a special evening supporting our friend, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin,” according to the invitation’s cover letter, which went on to call Manchin “a longtime friend since his days as Governor of West Virginia.”
Manchin is the chair of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, the most powerful perch on Capitol Hill when it comes to oil and gas policy. He will be up for reelection in 2024.

Among the hosts are oil billionaires like Jeff Hildebrand, who cofounded the energy company Hilcorp, and Richard Kinder, a cofounder of Kinder Morgan, an energy infrastructure company. Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry appointed Hildebrand to the University of Texas Board of Regents for a six-year term beginning in 2013.
The fundraiser will take place late Friday afternoon in the River Oaks area of Houston, one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Texas. An invitation obtained by The Texas Tribune encouraged donors to contribute $5,800 to Manchin’s reelection campaign and $5,000 to his leadership PAC. Organizers anticipate more than 150 people to attend, according to a source familiar with the event.

Symbol of rectitude:

Manchin earns hundreds of thousands of dollars each year through coal sales to power plants that supply Edison Electric Institute member companies. His family company, Enersystems, is a contractor of American Bituminous Power Partners (AmBit), a coal power plant located near Grant Town, W.V. that provides energy to Monogahela Power Company, according to documents from the West Virginia Public Services Commission (PSC). Also known as Mon Power, the electric company is a subsidiary of energy giant FirstEnergy and an EEI member.

Manchin founded the coal brokerage Enersystems in 1988 and helped run the company, handing control to his son Joseph upon being elected West Virginia secretary of state in 2000 and reportedly moving his holdings into a blind trust between 2005 and 2010. In Manchin’s most recent financial disclosure, covering the fiscal year 2020, he reports that his non-public shares of Enersystems, a “contract services and material provider for utility plants,” are worth between $1 million and $5 million, and sent him an income of $492,000. His total income from the company since joining the Senate is more than $4.5 million.

Well NOT dumping fossil fuels because we need them despite what the greenies say is not exactly being anti climate change.

PLease feel free to shine some of that highly ethical and impartial light you wield on Nancy Pelosi and her very very wealthy stock trading hubby. I mean, if a couple hundred grand upsets you.

Dems finally have to put one of their own down.

Thompson first achieved notoriety in August 2020 when he called for anti-police protesters to burn down the town of Hugo. Shortly after that incident, Alpha News unearthed and reported on his criminal record, which shows he has a history of domestic assault accusations. Despite this, the Minnesota DFL, Gov. Tim Walz and U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar upheld their endorsements of then-candidate Thompson.

Now, after it has become clear that the left-wing lawmaker doesn’t have a Minnesota driver’s license and may not live in the district he represents, the mainstream media and Minnesota Democrats have acknowledged what Alpha News reported 11 months ago.

Fox 9 published an article Friday that reports on how one of Thompson’s alleged victims accused him of exposing himself and demanding she “kiss the tip” of his penis during an argument while children and relatives were present in 2010. In a similar 2009 incident involving a different woman, he apparently exposed himself and told his then-girlfriend and two young children, “I’m the man, you can all suck my dick.”

The representative has also been accused of beating a girlfriend in a supermarket parking lot in 2003 while the woman’s five-year-old child was present. The girlfriend told police that her and her child were homeless at the time. This is the same woman Thompson is accused of strangling, leaving bruises on her throat, about a year later, Alpha News reported last week.

“I’ll choke you until you can’t breathe anymore,” he allegedly told his victim during the 2004 incident in Eagan, Minnesota.

Thompson pleaded guilty to lesser charges in all of the cases.

Top DFL legislators, Gov. Walz, Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, and the chairman of the DFL Party all urged Thompson to step down Saturday.

“Minnesotans deserve representatives who uphold the highest moral character and share our values. Following the deeply disturbing reports of domestic violence against multiple women, Rep. Thompson can no longer effectively be that leader and should immediately resign,” Walz said in a statement.

Dems do this quite often. Remember Al Franken?

What’s up with Matt Gaetz? Come on righties put your money where you mouth is.

He’s on tour.

I think he has a thread. I haven’t read anything about him since he tried to duck under Tucker’s skirts.

Still not a senator.

that and my ron-de-santis thread are both getting no love, sad

He stepped back on his own. He was a senator. He easily could have stayed.

Everyone steps back on their own. The other way is much more difficult and basically never happens. The difference being the Right doesn’t care. They’ll still vote for Gaetz.

Don’t go in looking for clicks. I think more about the crickets on the Cuomo thread. Guy’s actions kill 15K New Yorkers and he covers it up and then gets accused of sexual harassment and nada peep…

but it’s OK, not everyone on every side is here for woke and serious thought. I’m not…but sometimes I yam.

About a relatively powerless Rep from Florida? I care as much as decorum calls for. :sweat_smile:
Feel free to bring it up in the appropriate thread if you wish. I doubt you’ll find any Gaetz backers though.

There’s enough supporters to go to rallies with MGT. He’s a spokesperson for the Right unfortunately. The very person that should be shunned by the Right is instead being elevated by it. Says a lot about principle in the current state of right wing politics.

2 Likes

Yeah, anyway…back on topic.

Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan, the metropolitan leftist from whose hymnbook Governor Walz has been singing since his election. Flanagan wrote:
As a mom, advocate for children, and survivor and child witness of domestic violence, I know the deeply traumatic impact of the actions outlined in reports against Representative Thompson. Someone who has allegedly demonstrated this violent pattern of behavior, especially in the presence of children, is unfit to serve in elected office. Representative Thompson must resign.

Governor Tim Walz called for Thompson’s resignation. House DFL leadership also abandoned Thompson in a joint statement:
As leaders of the Minnesota House of Representatives we take allegations of misconduct of staff and members very seriously. The recent reports concerning Representative John Thompson’s actions are deeply troubling…We are calling on Representative Thompson to resign immediately.

Democrats stuck with Thompson right though his election to the legislature last November and beyond. They only abandoned him after Tom Lyden’s FOX 9 report this weekend on the old charges of Thompson’s sexual misconduct. These were supposedly too much for the DFL. How could they have known?