[b]I am Chinese. Can I teach English too? Advice![/b]

Hi all,

I know, my topic is kinda out of the blue, but, I really want to know. So, help me out, please.

I have a BA in Management studies with honors from University of Central Florida(USA). But, I am not white/caucasian. I’ve stayed in the USA for like five years. Right now, I am back in my country working in the manufacturing field. My nationality is Singaporean. I was a privtate tutor of literature and now work with people from Mainland China.
I would like to be an English teacher in Taiwan. Can somebody tell me if it is possible.

Oh yeah, if it is possible, can you tell me how I should go about it.

Thanks A Million.

Mano :astonished: :help: :help: :help:

Hey Mano,

I won’t say it is impossible but it won’t be easy. Most ESL schools want someone from the West. You might be able to get some work at a regular cram school (a place that prepares jr. high/high school students for their tests). But there are plenty of locals to teach in that environment.

With the influx of so many foreigners from the West and with the market forces the way they are, I would recommend not giving up your gig to come to try to teach here. I would make the same recommendation to folks from NA and Europe also.

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
With the influx of so many foreigners from the West and with the market forces the way they are, I would recommend not giving up your gig to come to try to teach here. I would make the same recommendation to folks from NA and Europe also.[/quote]

Are you saying that there aren’t too many jobs around at the moment?
Are other gigs better than Taiwan?

What passeport do you hold? If it’s a Singapore passeport, you’ll have an even harder time because you will not be able to get a work permit/ARC as a teacher.

Good luck,
CK

Damn! That sucks!I really love Taiwan.Singapore isn’t that great you know. Everyone is so hyped about it. Once you get here or if you have visited, you will know what I mean. I really need an avenue to channel all my energy, which I thought Taiwan could provide. But, I guess not. Anyway, thanks for the truth and continue to have a blast in Taiwan.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

[quote=“Bassman”]

Are you saying that there aren’t too many jobs around at the moment?
Are other gigs better than Taiwan?[/quote]

I just saw this morning that there are a few ads for looking for tachers in Kaohsiung…so we might be seeing some movement on the job situation down here.

[quote=“Bassman”]

Are other gigs better than Taiwan?[/quote]

Bassman, if you are running a school like you are and have a piece of the action then you can’t go wrong.

Sorry, :offtopic:. I’m just curious as to what you see as negatives for Singapore. I’m enjoying Taipei, but I’ve thought that if I were to live long term in Asia, Singapore would be the place to be (for my personal preferences). I have visited, but only for a week or so at a time. The only drawback to Singapore I see is the weather, since I do like, you know, seasons :slight_smile: So I’d like to get an idea of why Taipei (or Taiwan) is attractive in comparison!

Sorry, :offtopic:. I’m just curious as to what you see as negatives for Singapore. I’m enjoying Taipei, but I’ve thought that if I were to live long term in Asia, Singapore would be the place to be (for my personal preferences). I have visited, but only for a week or so at a time. The only drawback to Singapore I see is the weather, since I do like, you know, seasons :slight_smile: So I’d like to get an idea of why Taipei (or Taiwan) is attractive in comparison![/quote]
Two words: nanny state.

Hi,

Here lies a fact I cannot change,
I would like a game to begin with.
With brights of hope I ardently endure,
Distantning signs I cannot percieve.
Make my worth and change my mane,
I am only but a hunter’s game.
Kant

lotus on a mud plain