B12 prescription?

Wow. I knew some women are unable to breastfeed for one reason or another, and some think (conventional) formula is superior for one reason or another, but I’ve never heard of breastfeeding being deemed “cruelty to humans” until now.

I’m not sure “real milk” includes breast milk there. I’d assume they had some reasons for not breastfeeding. There could be some health based reason for not wanting to breast feed I guess, but can’t imagine an argument on any moral grounds. Then again, I don’t really have a reason to believe that a soy-based infant formula would be necessarily any worse than a cow-milk based one.

One would hope it’d be B12 supplemented, but that’d have to be verified.

Cows milk has about 5 micrograms per litre.

Human milk is normally an order of magnitude less, but has much higher levels in the first week after pregnancy.

It’ll be especially unreliable as a source if the mother is a vegan, and herself B12 deficient.

So… Did anyone end up finding a doctor who will do B12 injections in Taipei? I’m too wussy to DIY it.

Thanks.

You’re going to go to the doctor every week to get it?

It’s not that bad, get a 27g 3/4in needle. Unless you’re fat, you should be able to IM it easy.

There are many places that will inject it for you, costs between 500 and 1000NT$ a shot. Its popular with the many nitrous oxide sniffers in Taiwan.

That’s ridiculous. It’s like 50-100nt a vial and like 10NT for a needle and syringe.

Why inject?

The only reason I can think of is if you are unable to absorb dietary B12, (which would eventually result in dangerous deficiency) and even then you will absorb a few % of a large oral dose.

Just get the capsules.

If you can get them prescribed it’ll likely be cheaper but you might need evidence of a clinical need (blood test) for that.

It’s more bio available for one but for most people a oral supplement should be enough. But some people with anemia can’t absorb B12 very well orally and some people with intestine issues also can’t absorb B12 very well through digestion. I take a B12 and multi vitamin cocktail when I’m working out intensely

Just for your reference…iHerb has some sublingual B-12.

Which is the least effective route of administration so far considered, except perhaps the toothpaste mentioned above.

What next? Shampoo? Mascara?

Just EAT IT, FFS!

Hey there - searching for ampules of cyanocobalamin. Have taken this from the states for some nerve issues but just ran out. I found the methyl version from Japan in many pharmacies but for some reason this version doesn’t seem to help me at all.

Have tried pills and tablets and don’t seem to help at all though I haven’t fully explored sublingual drops if anyone knows where to get those.

Also would love to hear any locations where people have gotten these injections?

You can get B12 amps from the pharmacy in Taiwan.

ive found many of these

but cant find these

I’ve been able to order it from a pharmacy. Check the pharmacies next to hospitals, they’re competitive being next to 10 other pharmacies. They’ll order it for you.

ah sweet. any one you recommend?

I haven’t always found that to be the case, funnily enough. Some of the pharmacies near TMUH, for example, seem pretty erratic in their pricing (including one last week that wanted to charge ~NT$420 for something that’s less than NT$200 in other places).

Shanghai Union Dispensary near Ximen tends to be pretty reasonably priced for most stuff, I’ve found.

I buy it online shipped from Merica.

Prices of medicine go up and down in Taiwan if you buy out of pocket. I’ve experienced it many times.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m Taiwanese, but I’ve always been able to walk into a pharmacy and get whatever I wanted. They just order it for me.

The ones behind Cathy general hospital are usually pretty accommodating.