Baba Kebaba - Mediterranean Cuisine (Closed)

precooked reheated falafel = not authentic

Huh? You must have been dining in different mid-eastern restaurants to me, then. Precooked falafels are the norm in most places I’ve eaten at all over the world, including the mid-east.

sorry. i am of mid-eastern descent. maybe some different experiences perhaps or expectations then?

I won’t comment on the way anyone else does their falafel, but I can assure you that ours is neither precooked or reheated. (even though as sandman pointed out, it’s quite normal)

Ours are premade and shaped but not precooked.

You can watch us cook them (for the first time) when you order them if you wish.

Hope to see you in there. :slight_smile:

Bump.
Just a reminder, we have 40nt Heineken all day today, and for all the other Sundays in March.
Also today and the remaining Sundays in March, order any pita pocket or set meal, get a free Heineken!

I went saturday, and found the food and service good and attentive.

The mint tea was a bit different from the Moroccan mint tea I learned to like during a stay in that country, however still good.

We had (starters): Humus, Dolmas, the spicy tomato paste, and falafels.

Main course was Kufta, lamb shish kebab, then 2 other kebabs for the kids, 1 had saffron rice, and the rest had cous cous.

I would happily go again.

Thanks for the kind words, Mr He. :notworthy:
We’re glad you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Also, Shisha/Hookah Pipes are now available for anyone who wants to try them.

Welcome, I will certainly go there again.

Where’s Pucheng St? This 20-year denizen of Taipei went looking for this place on Monday but couldn’t find it. I know, I’m an idiot.
Shit, even the mad Dane was able to find it!

Pucheng is the next street after Shida Rd if you’re traveling up Roosevelt heading west. It runs parallel with Shida on its west side.

Sandman (and anyone else who might need further directions)

The easiest way to find this place is to go to the original Watsons at Shida (the one which is near The Underworld), cross the main rd (Shida) and walk through the little bit of the park. There are a couple of lanes running up, you want the one right in front of you (not the one next to the wall of the Uni). You will will see Out of India and Evans burgers signs in the lane, Babakebaba is just past Out of India.
Time from Watsons: about 1 min.
I think, that the little red pub with a balcony is at the end of the lane, can someone confirm, as that is a pretty good landmark if so.
Cheers
Kitkat

Holy Cow, all these directions are making my head spin.
It’s NOT that difficult to find.
Shimokitazawa, it’s in an alley, not far from the Roxy pub, not on the Grandma Nittys side.
Once again, the address is 1F., No.24, Lane 13, Pucheng St. (just off of Shida)
Here’s an English map:

Hope to see you there soon!

Mmmm… Based on Chewy and Mr. He’s feedback, I can’t wait to try this place out.

Regarding that map you posted this afternoon, Baba Kebaba, the red and black dot there (which I assume indicates where the restaurant is) makes it look like the place is located right on the wall of the university, directly on Shida Road. But everyone else seems to be saying it’s in an alley to the south and to the west of where that dot is…

Are you sure that red and black dot is in the right place on the map?

Hobbes, kitkat gave the best directions above.
Head down Shi-Da road from Heping.
Stay on the right.
When you see Watsons(the 1st one), we are in the alley directly across the street from it.
We are beside Out Of India, across from Evan’s.
1F., No.24, Lane 13, Pucheng St. (just off of Shi-Da)
Hope you can find it. :slight_smile:

Just an update: Our Sunday beer promotion is over now, but beer is still cheap at only 80nt.
Also, we have added an extra day for the belly dancing show.
The shows will now be Fri, Sat and Sun nights. :slight_smile:

I just found an article at this link.
Here are the photos they posted:

We’re now running a Lunch Special.
Cheap! Cheap!

I had dinner here a few weeks ago, and it was packed! Service was good, though, and so was the food. Very reasonably priced. I can’t remember what I had exactly, but it was one of the mutton combos, and I enjoyed it. I’ll definitely drop by for one of those lunch specials - it looks like it’s great value for the money!

Thanks for your kind recommendation, Maoman.
We’ve gotten past many of the initial growing pains, and are doing quite well as the word spreads.
We’ve also been featured in quite a few English and Chinese publications lately.
This is a link to a feature in this month’s Taiwan Fun.
If any of you Forumosans have been there, we’d love to hear your feedback! :slight_smile:

Shish Kebab Combo.

Lunch Special.

[quote]Avi Fadida, an Israel native who immigrated to New Zealand, has been making Middle Eastern-style cuisine for over 30 years. He is not only an expert in making these authentic dishes, but also operates his own factory, which makes pita bread and imports exotic spices. After a lot of encouragement from an old friend, Avi opened up a restaurant here in Taipei, so that he could share his authentic Middle Eastern dishes with Taiwan.

Some of the staple menu items in Mid-Eastern cooking include barbecued kebabs and, of course, family-style rice and pita dishes. To keep the food authentic, the restaurant sends their chefs to Avi’s restaurant in New Zealand, where they can learn from the right sources. A lot of the spices and ingredients used in making the dishes at Babakebaba are also supplied by Avi’s factory, which also helps ensure authenticity. Tagine Spicy Chicken (lamb or beef NT$250/a la carte, NT$350/set) is a new Moroccan dish that’s made with a unique “Tagine Sauce” and cooked in a traditional Moroccan pot for about an hour before being seasoned and topped with mint sauce. Its multi-layered flavors go perfectly with the juicy chicken, and the slightly sweet and spicy flavors tantalize your palate.

Apart from the top-quality cuisine, the restaurant’s decor is also stunning. Though it only accommodates about 40 people, the whole place looks like an Arabian palace with Turkish carpets, traditional pottery, and sheer, gold curtains separating each private dining area. The line-up of hookahs on the counter is also impressive; they make for a nice after-dinner activity. Of course, Mid-Eastern tunes filter in through the loudspeakers and, on weekend nights, you can expect to see belly dancers perform right in front of you.[/quote]

Went this weekend with my wife. We both found the place excellent from the food to the decor to the ambience. The soup appetizer was delicious as was the tomato and cucumber salad. The service was efficient as our order arrived in ten to fifteen minutes despite there already being 10-12 people there and another couple or two who arrived just after us.

We split a lamb falafel and a combo kabob. Both were outstanding. As is the value of this little gem of a restaurant. I think our bill was just under $500 or so. Baba Kebaba is a great addition to the Shida area and a place I will definitely be visiting again.