Baba Kevin's Barbecue

Hi Everybody, I’m Baba Kevin! Great to read all your comments and feedback, and rest assured I’m always trying to up my game.

The Xinyi store was a franchise experiment that we started last September but terminated May 1, 2018. The short of it is that I’m very serious about quality, both food and service. These qualities are not easy to uphold in a franchise arrangement, and in Taiwan it’s even a bigger challenge. From an economics perspective, some said I was crazy to withdraw from that project, but the message is simple–when you see the Baba Kevin brand, it’s legit and guaranteed. I won’t compromise or trade $ for peace of mind.

But don’t worry Xinyi people, food delivery service is coming soon! And even better news coming for the people of Xinzhu + Zhubei! Follow us on social media (any of them) for updates.

Cheers!

Baba Kevin

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us know Baba Kevin. One suggestion: maybe update your main website? Right now I believe it doesn’t even mention that you also have a restaurant. At least add that you have a restaurant and say there’s more information at the Facebook link; ideally add information on that website itself, for oddities like myself who strongly dislike using Facebook.

(Yeah, I know it’s common now for restaurants to only have a Facebook page, but man I hate that trend.)

1 Like

Okay, I’m going soon. Grew up in Kansas City and the pictures are just killing me. My dad’s former business partner (also from KC- crazy how things work out like that) is also living in Taiwan now. I think we need to make a visit soon.

Wait, what?! Baba Kevin is nearby Hsinchu?

1 Like

Thanks lostinasia! Sh!t, I just realized that’s not a name. Ok, new website is on the way. Still a few weeks. Will have all the info, maps, pics, menu, booking, multilingual, etc. It’s a nice one.

2 Likes

You excited?

For actual American barbecue possibly nearby? I can look out our back bedroom window and see much of Zhubei laid out just north of where we live. Does a bear shit in the woods? :yum:

Where are you in Zhubei?

It doesn’t really matter, but out of curiosity is this Texas, KC, or North Carolina barbecue?

Was there a couple days ago. Here is my take on it:

Price: just about right. Cheaper than Ed’s Diner.

Menu: good variety

Location: easy to get to by car and plenty of nearby parking.

Atmosphere: friendly staff. Kevin was there and a pleasure to talk with. You can tell quite obviously he has his whole heart in this restaurant. Good music playing. Bench seats were comfortable.

Cleanliness: Not bad, not great, could be better. The wall by our table had sauce splattered on it.

Food: Meat was moist and flavorful, not dried out. Sauce was good. Portions are modest but not too small. You will feel full. Was very dissapointed with the mac n cheese. It really tasted and looked like boxed Kraft mac n cheese. I think they could do better with this. The cornbread was also dissapointing. Tiny and very dry. No butter or honey butter to go with it. We had a brownie for dessert and it was too sweet for us, but the texture was spot on.

I want to go back to try other menu items, but will avoid the mac n cheese and corn bread.

Hey bojack,

Location will be decided this month. So far we’ve seen Zhubei, Xinzhu Costco area, and Xinzhu Guanxin Rd. It’s a tough call, but the Costco area looks really nice. Might take a year for that area to develop, but I’m thinkin’ a nice bar and BBQ would be a good fit. Thoughts?

And as far as flavor profiles, brisket and short ribs are Texas, hands down. Ribs are my own but more STL than Memphis, served with my Texas Yellow BBQ sauce inspired by a great joint in Texas called Salt Lick’s (not to be confused with the Salt Lick’s here in Hualien, Taiwan). Pulled pork is more North Carolina but a bit on the sweeter side vs mustard. Lamb is Kentucky, is there anything else? Think Moonlite Bar-B-Q. Hot links are all pork, but the flavor profile is more Louisiana than Texas. And we can go on from there when you come in. You’ll be happy, I guarantee it.

1 Like

Thx for the feedback, SuiGeneris. And you’ll be happy to know I’ve already been playing with a baked macn cheese. Real cheese is hard to source and not cheap. Expect a change soon, but due to cost it won’t be a side dish anymore. Mac’n cheese might even get it’s own menu, so hopefully something for everyone. Hope to see you again, and don’t forget that if you have something that you don’t care for just let us know and we’ll switch it out for something else.

3 Likes

As well as having awesome food, Baba is family friendly. Kevin has a cool basement play area for us Dads (and Moms) who need to entertain the kids while we eat. A really good set-up with lots of distractions. One small suggestion would be to maybe hook up a dehumidifier, @88K as it was a bit damp down there.

3 Likes

Hi @88K Kevin, thanks for the meal today and the offer of free beer :).

Awesome restaurant and close to work.

1 Like

There was mention of easy parking right in the area. Can somebody elaborate on this? @88K?

I’m seeing this when I look at maps (Irent自助租車):

No. 14, Lane 115, Section 2, Minsheng East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 10491

Is this the one?

New website up! Sorry, Forumosa didn’t notify me of all these replies. Ouch!

1 Like

Well, they just started construction next to use and we lost 3 parking lots, but there are still two lots on Minsheng E. Rd. less than a block away, plus street parking and MRT.

2 Likes

That’s no excuse :yum:we shall all expect at least a 50% discount next time we go :wink:

3 Likes

Finally had Baba Kevin’s. We went to get some turkey for Thanksgiving, but while there, we of course had to try the ribs. Very good all around and we’ll be going again. The candied jalapeños and the mini pumpkin pies were excellent. The parking in the area is not good so I definitely recommend taking the mrt.

6 Likes

Did Baba Kevin’s change location?

When I went there last year, I don’t remember it being at No. 5, Alley 8, Lane 303, Section 3, Nanjing East Road, Taipei City.

1 Like

Yup! They upgraded. The new place is sooo nice.

1 Like

Oh, cool. I’m in that area often. Also, parking or public transport will be much easier (parking especially) when I go with my family. And it does look nicer. I wasn’t impressed with the interior set up at the last location.