Baby expenses and benefits for non-Taiwanese parents 2021

Hello all
I was reading this article:

https://www.foreignersintaiwan.com/blog-370963385326684/having-a-baby-in-taiwan

and it is from the perspective of 1 parent being Taiwanese. For parents who are both non-Taiwanese, do any of these apply?

1. “epidural, which is not covered by NHI” - is this still true?

2. “4 person room - free, covered by NHI (健保房 Jiànbǎo fáng)” - is this across any hospital, or some specific one?

3. “Currently in Taiwan, citizens receive 2500 NT per month per birth until the child is five years old, and in Taipei and New Taipei they also receive a lump sum stipend of 20000 NT. These rates are set to increase soon.” - I’m assuming this won’t apply to both parents being non-citizens, but just checking in case something has changed.

4. “Also, for Taipei City residents that have been registered in the city for two or more years, they can receive a discount on hospital fees for their newborn children (ask about it at the household registration office, they give you a blue sticker to put on the NHI card).” - again, I’m assuming this too won’t be applicable since it says to goto the household registration office. - just checking.

5. “Yes, as soon as your foreign baby is born they can be added to your NHI plan.” - is this true?

thank you!

“epidural, which is not covered by NHI” - is this still true?

Yes, true. but, it is not so expensive, comparing to US.

“4 person room - free, covered by NHI (健保房 Jiànbǎo fáng)” - is this across any hospital, or some specific one?

for NHI contracting hospitals (most), it is true.

3 & 4

your assumptions are right.

“Yes, as soon as your foreign baby is born they can be added to your NHI plan.” - is this true?

yes.

I can only answer 3 of these questions.

Epidural is not covered by NHI, it costs between 7,000 and 10,000 ntd.

Questions 3 & 4, these benefits do not cover foreign parents. One parent must be Taiwanese and with household registration.

Thank you.