Baby in box on scooter - my vid made it on the news

Why ban it? There is enough regulations they are breaking allready and baning passengers would just make one more no one care about.
It would be alot bether if they just started to enforce the sleeping law of no passenger AND cargo at the same time.
Back home your not allowed to bring passengers on 50cc witch is a good think, they don’t have enough power to flow with the trafick when you bring a second person on it.

I thought there was a law already about the minimum age of a child allowed on a scooter.
Or was it something stupid like “under 5’s don’t need helmets”.

Well all em laws are too complex for joe mahjong to mind. Just make it so NO passengers or cargo or nuthing. Pure and simple. Rider ONLY. NO dogs, no cats, no pidgeons, no orangutangs (I saw a guy with his orangutan no kidding), no children, no girlfriends, no boyfriends, no nothing. NO back seat.

In other words a sleeping law that no one car about?
On law only used by the police when there red envelope from the mafia was not thick enough.

Did she ‘clip’ her helmet …

In a box??? WOW added protection. Taiwan is getting up to specs. :unamused:

kinda true, kid was in a box only cuz she wanted to snooze. Probably only taiwanese kids could snooze in a box on a scoot in heavy traffic

yea i know that law will never pass, but imagine it would be overall less deaths on scoots. At least no kids or beasts dying on scoots if they never were on it.

scoots are just dangerous and taiwan seems unable to rid itself of them.

its a plague in taiwan.

I agree that scooters are dangerous and stupid, but I think the problem is police officers need to start just doing their fucking jobs and crack down on traffic violations that already exist, rather than try to pass new legislation. I also think one passenger is OK as long as there’s a helmet involved. Two passengers is not really OK, but sometimes a Mom has to pick up two kids at school and she can’t afford a car, so what’s her other option? That’s the sad thing. There’s no alternative to the shitty situation now. And people in Taiwan actually LIKE these abominations. Public transportation for sure is Taiwan’s future. Still, a lot of problems could be solved if irresponsible driving was punished whenever it was seen, and police officers were more present on the roads.

AFAIK it is already illegal to carry kids in the footwell (boxed or unboxed). The problem is that the police don’t know that, and they don’t care. Serious accidents in Taiwan are assessed by a tribunal to determine who is at fault, but even if the assessors decide that one was behaving like an utter fuckwit, prosecution is rare unless the victim sues privately. Also, I’m pretty sure there is no generic “driving without due care and attention” law, possibly because Taiwanese law has no concept equivalent to the UK’s “reasonable person” (the meaning of “due care” requires interpretation by a “reasonable person”), so they have to codify each and every possible variant of fuckwittery. The police don’t have enough mental MIPS to deal with all that, especially since learning to apply sensible judgement is not a large component of Chinese education.

Well said.
It happens because it’s the only option. Owning a car is a luxury. I’d hate to see what would happen if all the scooters in taiwan were replaced with cars. The horror…

Well said.
It happens because it’s the only option. Owning a car is a luxury. I’d hate to see what would happen if all the scooters in taiwan were replaced with cars. The horror…[/quote]

Yes, the only option, I have heard that many times too…
They also have the option to stop at red lights, to look before pulling out of laneways or doing U turns, not to ride on the wrong side of the roads and to provide their children with decent helmets, or any helmet in many cases (well for babies carried in harness on the back or chest, not too sure there).

They could also have the option to walk many places. I have given up taking my boy to school on my bike, it has just become too ridiculous recently so now we walk the 1.5km to school. Still got to walk with him though as at one intersection there aren’t any crossing guards and too many idiots cut through the intersection or turn right on the red light.

Are you sure that was not a Taiwanese made helmet? :smiley:

Doing their jobs? Right … in Europe (Germany, Belgium, Holland at least) police does watch anything out of the ordinary, give fines for anything any day, in Taiwan the police chief has to specify what to look for that day … they are only capable of doing what’s told … no more, no less!

The thing you see in any working environment in Taiwan … do what the boss tells you, no more, no less … don’t think, don’t take initiative :doh:

kinda true, kid was in a box only cuz she wanted to snooze. Probably only taiwanese kids could snooze in a box on a scoot in heavy traffic

yea I know that law will never pass, but imagine it would be overall less deaths on scoots. At least no kids or beasts dying on scoots if they never were on it.

scoots are just dangerous and taiwan seems unable to rid itself of them.

its a plague in Taiwan.[/quote]
You have a point in terms of scooters and motorcycles being dangerous. However, Taiwan isn’t the US and it never will be. It’s a small overcrowded island, and if anything, cars are a bloody plague on the roads here. Morons driving without any passengers, double parking, turning right on a red light by pushing and honking scooters out of the way in the block clearly marked in Chinese as space for scooters only, stopping in the aforementioned block etc etc etc.
Also, apart from spatial issues, cars just aren’t practical here, nor financially viable for the vast majority of people.

Scooters aren’t necessarily the evil you make them out to be. They seem to work just fine in other congested areas outside of Taiwan. The problem here is enforcement of the law. The right hand lane should also be a dedicated scooter lane, cars be f*cked. Traffic laws and speeding should be strictly enforced with fines, license suspensions and possible jail time. Policemen who don’t do their job should be fired and replaced with ones who do. :2cents:

As to the OP, that old bat should get prison time. If that was my child and my MiL, that would be the last time she ever sees that child and she’d be out on her arse with no more help (financially or otherwise) from me.

[quote=“Marty”]I thought there was a law already about the minimum age of a child allowed on a scooter.
Or was it something stupid like “under 5’s don’t need helmets”.[/quote]The law says that everyone needs a helmet. “Policemen” say people with small heads don’t need a helmet. They wouldn’t give me an age, or a size.

Do kids need helmets when their parents are driving through Taroko Gorge and letting them stand up with their heads sticking out the sun-roof? Saw that today, was driving behind them up the gorge. Cruising at 40km/h, they were.

Jie-Jie’s head was just poking out. Ge-Ge, being taller, had his head fully out and his neck was at sun-roof level.

It’s f***kin insane for starters, the risk of having to make an emergency stop. Then you got to factor the chance of falling rocks into the equation. :loco: :loco: :loco:

CAnt get the Taiwanese to stop taking kids on scoots without draconian measures. I still say the only way and easiest to police is NObody on scoots cept rider. Impractical yeah. But life saving.

[quote=“tommy525”]CAnt get the Taiwanese to stop taking kids on scoots without draconian measures. I still say the only way and easiest to police is NObody on scoots cept rider. Impractical yeah. But life saving.[/quote]Who’s going to enforce it?

And how else are parents and grandparents going to transport kids to school? Cars for everyone?

What about young people?

It’s not only impractical, it’s illogical and no solution at all. :2cents:

Forcing people to take public transport to take their kids to/from school. Forcing better public transport systems in place because of the increased demand. It can work. Chicken and egg situ.

The police can enforce such a law if it was forceful enough. Heck send in the HellsAngels if you have to.

It will stop children being killed riding on scoots to/from school.

NO passengers. NO pigs, No raccoons, NO large cargo (only exception for the gas guy and he can only carry 2 canisters at once).

The scoot should become a hobby ride. Public transport THE main transport mode.