Baby suffocated at Neihu daycare

this might not have happened if the parents were quiet.

游淑慧進一步要求,希望社會局研議未來以行政命令要求合法的托嬰中心需加裝監視器、雲端監視系統;陳雪慧承諾,會與法治單位研究如何制定規定,將窮盡一切方法要求業者

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20190416003534-263202?chdtv

1 Like

Has the name been mentioned? I didn’t notice it in the thread, and now that the government is clearly involved I don’t think there’s any reason for privacy or whatever.
I wonder if it was just that day care center that was doing it, or if it’s common practice in that chain.

WeCare.

What. The. Fuck.

I don’t even know what to say about that. They must have had this suffocation technique in their training orientation for new care workers. The whole backwards bunch of them should be locked up.

9 Likes

WeCantBreathe

Any comment from “this is not a systematic problem” @morran01 ?

1 Like

What if I have a son, though? Does this still apply?

I would argue that this is actually worse than the drugging kids to sleep scandal in that Chinese kindergarten a couple of years ago. At least if you are drugged you are still alive at the end of it…

What is incredible is this groupthink mentality whereby they all decided that suffocating babies to the point of unconsciousness wasn’t wrong. You’d think that at least one person would question the procedure. Maybe that person got fired.

6 Likes

This is one of the reasons I don’t have kids. If it was my baby that was suffocated by those imbeciles, I’d probably be spending the rest of my life in prison for murder.

3 Likes

It’s like Nazi Germany as a microcosm.

“Do not ask about the chimney smoke smells coming from the Jewish camp.” = “Do not ask about our sleeping techniques.”

The name was never a secret: WeCare Baby. In Mandarin it’s the “我們的” chain - which looks a lot like the reporters are hiding the name but they’re not.

Thanks to @SuiGeneris for posting the update to this thread.

Again, I hope this tragedy marks a turning point in the way Taiwan’s daycares are run and the children are treated.

3 Likes

I fear it will only be a short term shock and then everyone will be lulled back into their day to day grind, too busy to really care. The owners will hide in shame for a year and then reappear under a new name and new location. Probably retaining many of the same staff. It’s just the way it is.

Makes me sick.

2 Likes

A year? Give them a week… while they find a suitable location.

If the parents start chasing them and denounce them where they are, they will receive pressure from other parents -where will we leave our kids?!- and probably a visit or two from men in black. Hope they stick to it though. After losing your child, what else is there to lose?

1 Like

Should be forced to change their name to WeChoke Baby.

This case has already been in the news much longer than I expected it would. The incident occurred on April 1 and with Taiwan’s news cycle being what it is I expected it to vanish within a day or two.

I wish some lawmakers keep pushing social welfare department for better management.

Yep. In th eprinted version it is at the last page of the main body, a very small piece with a black and white blurry picture.

It si hard to imagine being one of the carers, being so mechanical as to receive such an order, which seems against every instict. yet they comply, out of duty, out of habit, out of fear of being fired. Maybe even hatred for the job and the kids, as they do not make enough money to take care of their own.

I really would like to make an Internet search to see who came up with the idea for thsi technique. Was it some famous doctor? Probably. Someone in authority has been peddling this crap.

1 Like

Probably the same one who came up with the idea that if you furiously slap your arms and legs the “inner heat” will go out and you’ll suddenly feel better

1 Like

A quick search did not come up with much…

https://childrensmd.org/browse-by-age-group/newborn-infants/weighted-blankets-tragic-mistake/