"Back of the Bus" for unmarried longtime Taichung Alien Permanent Residents

Outside of this thread, I don’t hear much of that. But I don’t hear any of it from poorly paid (foreign) blue collar workers, even though it’s something that would affect them more.

It’s one of those inch/mile things. :2cents:

I hear it a lot on FB foreigner groups. Especially for the stimulus checks. Many people saying it was racism. It got pretty ugly.

Ok so you get the bus rule changed and the OP saves his change but I still don’t have a passport.
Why bother with this small issue as it won’t translate to larger change. Also getting the change creates a negative image of cheap outsiders complaining. Not what I believe, but some will see that…(my sister in law) :joy:

what’s wrong with this.

Why does the issue arise in the first place?

Long term foreign residents aren’t true outsiders.
If you accept constant discrimination then you accept permanent outsider status.
Don’t give a shit what your sister in law thinks.
Taiwanese are always the first to complain about even 1 NTD difference.

11 Likes

Is this where you draw your line? Bus fare?

Well I do, because she can vote, and we can’t. So perhaps you should too

It’s not about drawing the line anywhere. It’s about standing up for yourself/ourselves.
The default position of many governments is just to not change anything…The idea that foreign permanent resident who are married are ‘better’ than foreign permanent resident that aren’t… it’s madness.
Completely bonkers.

And of course the Taichung govt now discriminating against all foreign residents is a step backwards.
We DO pay taxes land they DO go to the local government !

1 Like

I’ve already talked about this at length in other threads.

Stop complaining about every small issue. It gives the perception of pettiness. Focus on the big issue, you’ll win more friends.

I’m being realistic. Pick your battles.
But people like my sister in law don’t give a shit about your bus fare and she’s going to continue to vote KMT unless you convince her why she should care about citizenship.

I couldn’t disagree more.

Free public transport is a big issue . Resident foreign taxpayers should have a right to enjoy like all local city residents …I myself was often harassed by Taichung tax office and why should I pay taxes if they discriminate against me ?
They still want my taxes right ?

5 Likes

my line is not bus fare. official regulations.
The issue is authorities set discriminatory rules.

6 Likes

1 Like

Are you the type of foreigner say yassir assir…Sorry sir?

Take away my free public transport…yassir.

That doesn’t work !

Again they want my taxes but not go give previous existing benefits, for what reason exactly ?

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: From the Back of the Bus

I wonder if the new Taichung bus fare rules conflict with Article 62 of the Immigration Act?

Sure, you fellows might think this is all fun and games. However that I would like to remind you that even during the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_bus_boycott they didn’t have two different fares for two different kinds of people.

4 Likes

If your big issue means dual citizenship, it will solve your probrems, but won’t solve the problem of systematic (imo) unfair treatments against foreign residents.

3 Likes

The behaviour you accept is the behaviour you validate.

Some of the arguments presented for not fighting this issue are very poorly thought out. It’s the thousand cuts that foreigners suffer that makes each of our lives worse. Wether blue or white collar workers.

Also, I think it’s important to understand where some of these arguments come from and the issues that arise form them.

The biggest place these arguments come from I think is people like to feel special and unique. As a foreigner we all look special and unique some of us get addicted to feeling this.

The biggest issue is the suffering that foreigners endure. Work rights, visa rights, living standards rights, integration rights. Each time these decisions are made one or more of these rights is reduced.

We need to think about long term relationships with Taiwan. Not what is in it for us right now.

As a blonde hair fair skinned blue eyes tall fit male I don’t suffer badly. But I see others who do not have my features suffer each day.

We need to be compassionate and considerate of others.

We need to stick up for each other.

13 Likes

Okay, Brian & E, I think you’ve both made your points and can agree to disagree. :peace_symbol: :slightly_smiling_face: :rainbow:

2 Likes

I can’t imagine it is illegal. A friend can get multiple cards, a friend can loan them to a friend?
Unless the card specifically says non transferable.

I would think it’s none of their business who uses it.

Edit… just checked, seems they.limit 1 card to 1 person and you need to go to the hukou office to register.
Guess us Taichungians need to write in if we want to express our displeasure. I’ll write in tomorrow but we need to get critical mass of complaints or else they will just tell us to get lost.

You can’t seriously be comparing this to your situation in Taiwan.

2 Likes

If that is true … just wow

I guess I (Taichung APRC holder) then on purpose won’t swipe my card. Would be interesting what might happen then, would the police come and arresting me and the local government making this an official case then ?
That reminds me strongly back to dark days in South Africa …

3 Likes