Backslapping ending all debate in Forumosa TP

Forumosa TP has become a bit boring as I’ve been seeing plenty of ‘backslapping’ or ‘tag-teaming’ here on Forumosa which drowns out all debates. Its as if someone called all their internet friends to start this which pretty much kills any reason for even bothering to post.

There are countless examples in which poster A1, A2, A3, A4 would post one after another, collectively bashing B1, B2, C3 sometimes cycling through before any different opinions (B1, B2, C1, etc) could post.

Any solution to this problem?

My solution would be to not worry too much about any such behaviour. Make your point and, if you make your point well, it won’t matter who gets the supposed last word in a thread. Someone who argues their position well in fewer posts will convince more readers than someone who posts to excess or gets “backslapping” support from cronies. Happy Posting.

My solution would be to not worry too much about any such behaviour. Make your point and, if you make your point well, it won’t matter who gets the supposed last word in a thread. Someone who argues their position well in fewer posts will convince more readers than someone who posts to excess or gets “backslapping” support from cronies. Happy Posting.[/quote]

The point of the ‘backslapping’ obviously isn’t to convince anyone, that mostly won’t happen. Its to make it tiresome to post. I have noticed that the TP forum here misses many of the latest news as of late. Maybe this is an aftereffect?

Judging from the quality of some of the posts on Forumosa, I think backs are not the only thing posters are “slapping”! :laughing:
Shrimpcrackers, i know what you mean - the politics forums do seems to be divided into two sides or “teams”.

Just make sure you always get the last word. That’s what I do.

Are you looking at the times of the actual posts, or just the sequence of same?
The TP Forum has defintely slowed down as of late. However, I assume this is due to the ebb & flow nature of the quantity, if not the quality, of discourse in this forum. The amount of posts seems to correspond with the amount of political news on this isle. When something noteworthy happens, there’s a flurry of posts, and when things die down a bit (like it is now) it gets a little slow. Also, it’s summer, so everyone is in low maintenance mode. :sleepy:

[quote]There are countless examples in which poster A1, A2, A3, A4 would post one after another, collectively bashing B1, B2, C3 sometimes cycling through before any different opinions (B1, B2, C1, etc) could post.

Any solution to this problem?[/quote]
Learn to speed type at breathneck speeds. Some of the fiends on Forumosa have developed extra digits, such is the fast rack of their evolution. They type standing up you see… :wink:

My solution would be to not worry too much about any such behaviour. Make your point and, if you make your point well, it won’t matter who gets the supposed last word in a thread. Someone who argues their position well in fewer posts will convince more readers than someone who posts to excess or gets “backslapping” support from cronies. Happy Posting.[/quote]

The point of the ‘backslapping’ obviously isn’t to convince anyone, that mostly won’t happen. Its to make it tiresome to post. I have noticed that the TP forum here misses many of the latest news as of late. Maybe this is an aftereffect?[/quote]

TP posters do tend to come from two camps. They tend to lend support to posts and posters that agree with their camp’s POV and collectively criticize the opposing view. It’s rather like a microcosm of Taiwan society.

Your problem with this forum seems to be that posters from the opposing viewpoint weigh in collectively, disagreeing in a series of posts before anyone from the other side can counter. I don’t see alot that I can do about this phenomenon. Disagreement, even collective double-team disagreement, is not something that can be moderated successfully out of a politics forum. Mods only intervene when rules are broken. If you think that specific posts or the behaviour of a group of posters is violating the rules, please hit the squeal button or pm the moderators directly. We’ll have a closer look. You can also use the ignore button to avoid having to read the posts of members who are annoying you.

Also, TP is what it’s contributors make of it. If we are missing some of the latest news, it’s up to you to give us the benefit of your edification.

Edit: I moved this to the feedback forum.

Just make sure you always get the last word. That’s what I do.

Just make sure you always get the last word. That’s what I do. :raspberry:

OK, you win.

I agree with you. You’re such a great guy (Toasty slaps you on the back).

Thanks.

Would someone care to explain to me the appeal of debating politics? I would rather pick up sawdust particles one-by-one than debate politics. Does anyone actually thing they’re getting anywhere by arguing politics? Has anyone actually come over to your side and said “Okay, I agree. I’ll change my party affiliation”?

I don’t get it. Perhaps, as Fred Smith likes to point out, I’m just an intellectual lightweight.

[quote=“Tomas”]Would someone care to explain to me the appeal of debating politics? I would rather pick up sawdust particles one-by-one than debate politics. Does anyone actually thing they’re getting anywhere by arguing politics? Has anyone actually come over to your side and said “Okay, I agree. I’ll change my party affiliation”?

I don’t get it. Perhaps, as Fred Smith likes to point out, I’m just an intellectual lightweight.[/quote]

They do it because at the end of a hard day arguing about politics, they have a good enough reason to have a group hug in the nude. No, it’s true.

It’s no different than arguing anything else online. I think most of them do it for fun. It’s all good.

Keep in mind that politics has an impact on our lives and some people take it very seriously. With good reasons sometimes. I think it’s understandable, to an extent anyways since this is not the real world…I think it’s called cyberworld or something like that.

My name is bobepine. I love dogs, but I hate Bush. :wink:

you can be an idiot and have an opinion on politics, which most posters in IP are, except me. I never opine on politics. :laughing:

Its fun.

It helps to exercize the mind, thus hopefully will delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease (sort of like doing crossword puzzles).

That’s OK, Tomas. Everyone does their own thing. Me, I have almost zero interest in automobiles.

Yes. Maybe not far. But you never really end up in exactly the same place where you started, despite appearances otherwise.

Yes. Well, maybe not affiliation. But, I’ve had people tell me they look at the issues differently and are more sympathetic with a side they previously disliked.