Bad Electrics

I recently moved into a real nice apartment to discover that I have some electrical problems. This all occured last night. First my computer got fried. I thought may be its just a computer problem and went to Nova to get the power supply fixed. Problem solved until I took it home and turned it back on. Same thing happened except worse. Smoke billowing everywhere and I swear I saw a bit of a flame. All the lights went out and then turned back on after the computer broke. I immediately told the landlord of this and he came by to look at the fuse/breaker box. He agreed with me and said “There seems to be a problem.”

This morning I notice that my fridge doesn’t work. I try another outlet and nothing. So now my computer and my fridge are busted. I will take the computer to Nova to see what’s up, the fridge I will try to reapir also.

Has anyone had an experience with this sort of problem?
Did your landlord reimburse you for your damages?

I would assume that this is his problem and that he would have to because it is his apartment. Although who the hell knows.

Just to let you know I do not consume massive amounts of electricity, most of the lights were off, and the air conditioner was not turned on.

Thanks for any advice
stare

[quote=“stare”] I recently moved into a real nice apartment to discover that I have some electrical problems. This all occured last night. First my computer got fried. I thought may be its just a computer problem and went to Nova to get the power supply fixed. Problem solved until I took it home and turned it back on. Same thing happened except worse. Smoke billowing everywhere and I swear I saw a bit of a flame. All the lights went out and then turned back on after the computer broke. I immediately told the landlord of this and he came by to look at the fuse/breaker box. He agreed with me and said “There seems to be a problem.”

This morning I notice that my fridge doesn’t work. I try another outlet and nothing. So now my computer and my fridge are busted. I will take the computer to Nova to see what’s up, the fridge I will try to repair also.

Has anyone had an experience with this sort of problem?
Did your landlord reimburse you for your damages?

I would assume that this is his problem and that he would have to because it is his apartment. Although who the hell knows.

Just to let you know I do not consume massive amounts of electricity, most of the lights were off, and the air conditioner was not turned on.

Thanks for any advice
stare[/quote]

Join the club: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=42510

Your problem could be anything, but if your electrics were bad enough to fry a computer power supply you would have seen a much better show than just a dead computer. I suspect there is some fault with either your power supply or the cable. Since electricians in Taiwan never split off circuits properly the lighting and sockets rings will probably be coming off the one circuit so any short on the sockets will knock out the lights too.

Have you tried swapping out the cable(s) before anything else? If your fridge is completely dead (the light doesn’t even come on when you open the door) then that’s a good sign and means you probably just have a dead fuse that a competent repair engineer could swap out. If the light comes on but you have no noise from the compressor then the most likely culprit is the motor capacitor which again is easily swapped out (but don’t try and do that yourself).

sorry if this was a double post but search was disabled at the time of my posting. Thank you for the link.

stare

I wouldn’t say it’s a double post anyway. You were asking about what the landlord should do too.

[quote=“stare”]sorry if this was a double post but search was disabled at the time of my posting. Thank you for the link.

stare[/quote]

Wasn’t a double post at all - just letting you know that we SHARE YOUR PAIN!

To protect comptuers, computer magazines suggest that one disconnect
the power line from wall when the pc is not in use.
Add ‘surge protector’ or operate the pc on batteries.