Bad experience at Gjun

Oh boy flashbacks of another hiring process I had with a large Taiwanese company.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Don’t let schools delay when they start paying you. A lot of the large schools will try this. When you arrive you should get paid. They want to train you then demand office hours at the very least through the training period.
If you get a choice of paid right away or paid after training take the former despite any promise the latter may make in terms of a future career , promotions etc.
Actions speak louder than words. They pay , you teach. They don’t you don’t start. There is too much BS given to vulnerable teachers that come from abroad to teach and sometimes it’s even their first time abroad.

Your contract starts = you get paid. Ditto.

5 Likes

Lots of schools do that here. My favorite was one that I applied to in the early spring, sent a follow up email about a week later, zero acknowledgement that I had sent any resume or that they had received anything. Then, at the end of September, they were “excited” to offer me an interview. Very simple math: they had a teacher and the teacher quit a week or two into the school year. Wonder why…

5 Likes

Gjun told me exactly that, could I come in suddenly for Saturday. So I figured someone quit suddenly

2 Likes

Never sign contracts that try to fine you for being late. They can of course deduct the time that you were not in class which is fair. They cannot however say deduct 15 NTD if you are late etc.

If you’re consistently late they can warn you with a written warning then fire you , I think after 2 or 3 written warnings.
Contracts must abide by labor law. They often with try to get around this by saying you are a part time contractor. If they do that then they will not pay for NHI , and ask you to sign a form that you pay through a teacher’s union. It’s really a very immoral industry (On the whole).
There are exceptions though and good “guys” still exist. I’d suggest anyone with problems first try to sort it with the employer politely and firmly and then if that doesn’t work use the CLA.

*15kNTD
(for some reason I cannot edit posts on my phone anymore)

3 Likes

My understanding is that the training for teaching with Gjun is only a couple of hours to familiarise you with the online platform. But it’s all strung out in such a way to keep you hungry and prepare for the ‘sign this’ moment. They figure you’ll be keen to start by then and not read the small print. Further, Gjun pays on the 15th in arrears, meaning they are withholding salary in case you do a runner…People do work for them…By the way, employers do not read resumes here. It is infuriating. Makes you realise they just want a foreigner. ANY foreigner.

4 Likes

Sure. A common ploy is to advertise for six months hence. As if a TEFL job were a proper teaching job. I mean it’s ludicrous. Foreigners who want a job here want one now because they need residency. That’s the typical scenario anyway. A long time ago I figured if an employer were serious they’s get back to me in 48 hours because they needed someone ‘NOW’. Recently, I got offered a part-time gig before New Year and started on 19th. Never waited so long to start a job before, Lol.

1 Like

They just get a pool of potentials.
It’s very low behaiour.
I bet this is even worse for SE Asian factory workers.
As for teaching I think the key is that in your contract they must specify exactly when you start and when you get paid. It is normal for Taiwanese workers to get paid on the 5th. Getting paid on the 15th is a big red flag.

2 Likes

I worked for Gjun part time quite a few years ago. Yes they have many shystery practices such as paying on the 15th and also keeping you part-time under 14 hours but continually promising you will get more, knowing full well themselves that they will never give you more as then they would have to contribute NIH premiums and possibly lao bao.
Fortunately I found another flexible daytime gig at the time so working some evenings in Gjun still suited me.
I don’t think they gave me any training whatsoever. They still paid more than global village.

Anyway never depend on an operation such as Gjun for all your income they will leave you swimming to barely keep your head above water.

4 Likes

Public schools pay 15th

Yeah, what is the issue with paying on the 15th?

I will say I miss the American system where you get paid twice a month (1st and 15th)

I get paid on the 15th. I didn’t realise why that was an issue. I’m interested as to why.

I work PT for GJUN Online. Interview process was step by step but didnt find any issues with that. Needed a new PC to meet tech specs, but used that as another reason to get a nice new gaming PC. Always pays correctly and ontime, no complaints from company and excellent feedback from students.

It took a couple months to get a fully booked schedule, now they are giving me a full schedule and would like to give me more, but IM OK with the current workload, so said its enough for now. YMMV

3 Likes

Gjun used to be mostly in class as far as I remember. Have they moved to online mostly now? I know GVO was also moving to online as well, and not pushing in class as they used to

1 Like

Not sure. Im only doing the online gig.

1 Like

What is YMMV?

Did they have the fine for being late ?
And also they should supply the computers, if you take that to work everyday and drop it or it gets damaged at work will they pay for a replacement ?
Your new PC probably cost you one month salary I dont think most people teaching English part time at Cram schools are in your position of wealth

Your Mileage May Vary.

2 Likes

Ok thanks, genuine question what does it mean. Something like your experience may be different ?

1 Like