Bad experience with traffic department, and discriminatory policy against APRC holders

Ah … I think you misunderstand me. I’m talking about the DVLA. I just applied online to renew my license (with a c/o address in the UK). Obviously, I can’t advise you to do the same :whistle:. I’m just pointing out that the DVLA know it’s stupid to deny British citizens a license renewal, but they have to parrot the letter of the law (presumably written by someone who didn’t really think it through) even though they don’t agree with it and (in practice) won’t follow it.

Added to the info above, I got a translation done on my driving license for Japan at the Banciao DMV about 3 years ago. I’d be interested in whether this is an overzealous desk clerk, or an actual change in policy?

Pretty much par for the course in BaDe rd., rather foreigner unfriendly most of the time. I’d try Banchiao, don’t ask if they can do it just go in as if you have no past history with it and ask for one, even better if you can bring a fellow foreigner along who actually has one and show them theirs if they say it can’t be done.

5 Likes

would love to fix the spelling mistakes in my posts, but have no idea how to edit it.

Use the pencil icon under at bottom.

1 Like

Isn’t he/she not allowed to edit yet, as a new member?

2 Likes

Uhh, yes @jimipresley, thanks

How about now @DF100

2 Likes

Yell louder.

I got my my japanese translation just fine in 2016 and lived and.drove in Japan without issue. Using my taiwanese drivers license. There should be no issue, and if there is make one! Thats total bullshit, andd likely the office person is having a hormonal imbalance and pushig his or her weight. F them, take it higher up.

Also second trying somewhere else. North taiwan officials tend to be dicks much more often than the south.

1 Like

What did you put for “how long have you lived there?”

Can’t remember. Probably just made something up.

Everyone knows an APRC is not a recognized/accepted ID in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Ya, cause we all know it wasnt the highest tier of government issueing them in the first place…if their good enough to pay taxes with, …nevermind.

Wonder if the issue was caused by that black death of a curse we have with our ID numbers having a second letter in the beginning and computer systems here being .designed by by nephews in highschool. And the clerk being a retard and not figuring out another way. Such as using a pen. Just spitballing

4 Likes

Maybe it’s some sort of reciprocal thing.

I don’t know why they even give them out when every business and government agency demands a passport along with it. They don’t seem to trust the legitimately of their own ID

7 Likes

Go to the Banqiao office with a humble attitude and see if you can get this done.

Then sick @Marco on the Bade Road office. :smirk_cat:

Guy

3 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You. Got. Me.

Guy

Option 2

Official Japanese Translation

①Only translations obtained from the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or from the respective countries’ embassies/consulates in Japan are acknowledged as official. Official translation`s expiry date is the same with your local driver’s license, make sure that your car rental date is within the validity period of your license. Please note that regardless of your license validity period, you are only allowed to drive 1 year starting from the date you landed in Japan.

If you use JAF for the translation you can do it all by mail but it takes one to two weeks and requires a Japan address. Otherwise in person it would take two days - at least per-COVID.

I’m not sure if you understood I mean they say you should be a Taiwanese citizen to get a translation.

I want to say thank you to everyone again. I have had 4 major incidents in Taiwan of discrimination, and each one had a big negative on my moral in Taiwan. Those 4 incidents were (1, with the tax office, 1 with ctbc bank securities, 1 with china airlines pilot application, and now with the Taiwan Traffic Dept) each incident left me feeling powerless and hopeless. The work around were either extremely expensive and inconvenient, or dead ends.

The incident in the Traffic department rolled out over 2 days. On the second day I did loose my tempter and had a screaming match with the staff. The fact they had blocked me from going up higher and left me to scream at junior staff, and not given and inch had meant that had really won. What could I do but walk out with nothing.

I did not sleep that night I was so mad. But to write this post the next day and get your guys constructive feedback has really lifted my mood so thank you.\

Yes, there seem to be 2 options left for me, try and get a small town Traffic dept in south taiwan to issue the translation, or to try and get a Japanese postal address and follow the process in Japan. So I still have hope.

BUT - If there is anyone who is looking for a fight and will help me to fight this injustice with the traffic department in Taiwan again ARC/ARPC holders, I am wanting to do it.

I have submitted the complain to the Taffic dept in English via the links shared above - but if anyone had experience of effectively fighting against APRC discrimination in Taiwan - lets do it. Like i mentioned, If have already been unfairly discriminated against 4 times in Taiwan… lets fix this

7 Likes