Bad Translations

We are talking about a people that for 400 years have been told by different colonizers that the languages they grew up with are inferior and had to hide their identity by losing their native tounges and cultures just to survive. There are very few people that actually have a connection with Mandarin like that of many British people have with English or Japanese people with Japanese. There is no pride in the linguistic hisotry with Mandarin, Taigi, Hakka, or even any of the Aboriginal languages. At this point the only purpose language serves in Taiwan is to gain social prestige and academic/career advancement. Any language that doesn’t provide these benefits is unimportant, and a waste of time. That’s exactly how the local’s attitude to English developed.

1 Like

I’m very confused

“違停” is a transliteration of “waiting”.

And means “illegally parking” in Mandarin.

1 Like

I see. So those are just pics mocking her bad English translations?

That I have no clue about! I assumed it was just having a laugh about a funny way of writing a locally fairly common mixed-language speech pattern.

1 Like

That’s what I understood from this message and screenshot, which TBH I don’t get either xD

(that one)

1 Like

Dear customer howdy in my downstairs laundromat

7 Likes

I think that’s a Confucius quote:

“Ases wash bake clothes finish becomes time”

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

Jin quick I say! Chop chop!

3 Likes

Or maybe from the lesser known sage, Confuse-us. They left out either an r or an s in “ases”

1 Like

Groove, check. Actual family of high-ranking officer, check–hao, hao, deng yi xia, hao bu hao–dosage, yes, we’re well needing that at this point, check… wait, throw what at coin?

“Weak wash”

Honesty in advertising you don’t see that often here. :+1:

2 Likes