Bagels and Flavored Cream Cheese

It appears to me that there aren’t (m)any bagel smothered with flavored (jalapeno, garlic etc) cream cheese shops in Taipei. I really enjoyed those in the US and wanted to ask WCIF the best flavored cream cheeses and bagels here, so I can put those two together myself…

Bo’Bagel in Xinyi does it.

1 Like

Best bagels these days are probably Costco: cheese, blueberry, regular flavor … maybe another that I’m forgetting. Note I’m not saying they’re great. They’re Costco. But they’re OK.

There’s also a small chain called Good Cho: plenty of flavors, but to me they seem very localized.

Cream cheese: very limited variety. Plain is pretty easy to find. Occasionally you’ll see garlic flavor. That’s about it.

EDIT: Thanks @marco for the Bo’ Bagel recommendation. I don’t think I’d heard of them.

2 Likes

Carrefour has herb and garlic flavored cream cheese. It’s really good.

4 Likes

True bagels are boiled then baked or steamed… anything else is not a bagel but an enriched dinner roll with a hole in it…
Qsquare has a ny bagel (not sure exact name) store but i have never eaten at any bagel store in tw.
Many western foods for me a huge disappointment especially with inflated hype $$$$$
Yes im a bagel snob… i worked at one of the best bagels shops in the world, they converted their oven to a steamer so the are not jawbreakers(nyc style)
The best they have is a cheddar bagel (tillamook :cheese: sliced thin…) and cause its steamed the cheese melts without getting black … good luck with your search!

1 Like

Montreal bagels are slightly better. Same process but smaller. I used to love right by one of the bakeries with the wood oven. I agree with you. Even the Costco bagels are just dense bread.

Whoa, do they? Looking at some pictures, they look good. Have to go

I though NYC was more or less the only bagels until I went to Montreal! Went to St-Viateur, amazing. We were chomping down on the sidewalk, lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately this place doesn’t have “normal” savory cream cheese flavors… I’m not adventurous enough to try a Nutella and Red Bean Bagel…

They do seem to have good reviews and good bagels at least, so will check that out!

1 Like

Costco has the best priced bagels and you can buy cream cheese there as well.

NY Bagels is super overpriced and basically the same as Costco bagels in my opinion.

1 Like

Sign me up

1 Like

Is this picture from Bo’ Bagel?! That’s a lot more flavors than they list on their facebook page.

1 Like

Yes. I took the picture.

The cream cheese flavours are considered ‘cream cheese’

The other spreads are not included in that category.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!!!

Red beans and butter was always my favorite spread in NY.

How are the bagels? Denser than a Costco bagel or roughly the same?

Me? I’ve never bought a Costco bagel.

I don’t have any frame of reference.

1 Like

I find that Bo Bagels’ bagels are a bit denser. The crust has a bit more chewiness to it. Size wise they’re a bit smaller, but the schmear’s decent.

2 Likes

Yeah, the parsing in the Facebook menu isn’t clear, but does make sense after I see your pictures.

You didn’t happen to notice if you can package different cream cheeses to go, did you?

Yet another in the long list of places that makes me both despair and be happy about living in Danshui … damn, if I lived in central Taipei, I’d spend a fortune in restaurants.

1 Like

Danshui doesn’t stop me. I ain’t Taiwanese complainin’ about the 711 across the street being too far.

1 Like

I find I need two reasons to head into town. Just for a meal isn’t quite motivation enough for all the MRT time. Meal + groceries, or + a drink, or + a movie, or + flower market … something else. A pity this place isn’t close to a riverside bike path; bagel and cream cheese would be a great mid-ride small lunch or dinner. (Hello Falafel King, which is perfect for that!)