Baked Beans

So, Welcome at Kuting used to have a good stock of odds and ends, including baked beans. They have now moved everything around given ‘the foreigners’ their own little shelf - stocked with complete and utter shite, at hugely inflated prices. But no baked beans.

So, where can I find them now? Please…don’t tell me I have to go to all the way to City Super or Jasons for a tin of friggin beans.

[quote=“BlackAdder”]So, Welcome at Guting used to have a good stock of odds and ends, including baked beans. They have now moved everything around given ‘the foreigners’ their own little shelf - stocked with complete and utter shite, at hugely inflated prices. But no baked beans.

So, where can I find them now? Please…don’t tell me I have to go to all the way to City Super or Jasons for a tin of friggin beans.[/quote]I think you might have to. The Wellcome near me has run out of baked beans too. Maybe it’s a company decision not to sell them any more. :cry:

Marks and Spencers had awesome baked beans. Alas, they have they have gone the way of other Carrafour competitors. Jasons has a variety, but they’re !@#$%^ expensive. You can buy a 1kg block of Gruyere for the same price. Nonetheless, that has never stopped me. Make sure you stock up when you go. Buy a case.

Baked beans are ridiculously easy to make and damned cheap too. Go online and search. You may end up using regular bacon for the pork because it’s hard to get the thick sliced stuff here. I like liquid smoke (had to get this from the states but bacon works good) and some regular morning market fat back for mine. I use the red beans found about everywhere and some of the locally produced brown sugar. Make a big pot and freeze some in ziplocks for later. Nothing like a nice bowl of baked beans on a cold winter eve. Oh ya, and some cornbread with honey butter!

[quote=“Enigma”]You may end up using regular bacon for the pork…
…Oh ya, and some cornbread…[/quote]
The pork?!? Cornbread!?! I just don’t understand American culture, I suppose! Here are baked beans as I know them:

The kind you were talking about sound interesting. Maybe I’ll try to make them sometime. They won’t be Heinz, but I’m sure they’ll be good in their own way.

1 Like

Over scrambled eggs, with fresh herbs added? Maybe down south, joesax…

[quote=“Buttercup”]Over scrambled eggs, with fresh herbs added? Maybe down south, joesax…[/quote]Well, it was the first picture of real Heinz beans I found. I’m not fussy though. Any bean will do!

‘Open the tin…
Peel off the laaabel (ah-ahhhh!)’

Good start. The inspiration of the great poet has deserted me tonight and that of the double-barreled lord makes a poor substitute.
Here’s the best I can do to follow up:

[quote=“Buttercup”]‘Open the tin…
Peel off the laaabel (ah-ahhhh!)’[/quote]…put them on the table
Haute cuisine for you.
Some people say,
There’s beans with pork in.
That’s crazy talkin’;
Any bean will do.

Beanius!

Matsusei tends to have HP beans for about NT$60 or 65 a can. They also have fairly affordable kidney beans, although I found organic ones really cheap in Carrefour recently.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Enigma”]You may end up using regular bacon for the pork…
…Oh ya, and some cornbread…[/quote]
The pork?!? Cornbread!?! I just don’t understand American culture, I suppose! Here are baked beans as I know them:

The kind you were talking about sound interesting. Maybe I’ll try to make them sometime. They won’t be Heinz, but I’m sure they’ll be good in their own way.[/quote]

Yes the American innovations of food. Big already, doesn’t matter let’s make it for two people! Not enough fat, add bacon. Not sweet enough, add in 5 spoons of fructose so it’s not called add sugar. Not salty enough, throw in another couple of spoons. Voila! (I am joking guys but it’s hard to deny).

Let’s get some terminolgy straight. The pic above is of what us Yanks call “pork and beans”. Baked beans are not the same. Baked beans mean that you have mixed the appropriate ingredients, including beans (again, I like the red ones) with pork and boiled them. After the beans are soft, you add copious amounts of brown sugar and liquid smoke, leaving enough liquid to make them a bit fluid. Now pop them covered in the oven for an hour. My kids like marshellos added to the top after it comes out of the oven. I don’t, but to each their own.
Pork and beans are different animal.

[quote=“Enigma”]
Pork and beans are different animal.[/quote]

Nope, bean is vegetariun.

Nope! Beans is gas.

Jumping Jack Flash!

Only if you you do something really strange, such as hold a lighter next to your ass ass as you let go. I have no personal experience about this but have some really strange stories.
Certainly a “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”

[quote=“Enigma”]Let’s get some terminolgy straight. The pic above is of what us Yanks call “pork and beans”. Baked beans are not the same. Baked beans mean that you have mixed the appropriate ingredients, including beans (again, I like the red ones) with pork and boiled them. After the beans are soft, you add copious amounts of brown sugar and liquid smoke, leaving enough liquid to make them a bit fluid. Now pop them covered in the oven for an hour. My kids like marshellos added to the top after it comes out of the oven. I don’t, but to each their own.
Pork and beans are different animal.[/quote]
Why would you Yanks call the beans in my pic pork 'n beans if they’ve never been near a pig or a part thereof? Is this something like what you call “Football” which is a game where your foot never touches the ball?

I’ve seen Campbell’s baked beans, which have a disc of lard in them, no kidding! :noway:
Those things Enigma’s talking about are what we call Boston baked beans, I think.

[quote=“sandman”]I’ve seen Campbell’s baked beans, which have a disc of lard in them, no kidding! :noway: [/quote]Oh well, what can you expect from the land of deep-fried pies?

[quote=“sandman”]Those things Enigma’s talking about are what we call Boston baked beans, I think.[/quote]Never heard of 'em. Are you sure you’re not getting confused with “Boston beans”, which is another name for the haricot bean itself?

I think the kinds of beans Wellcome used to have were these “pork and beans” things, actually. The beans on the label had little cubes of pork fat in amongst them, though luckily the ones in the can had no visible lard.