Baked Beans

Boston baked beans are Boston beans slow-cooked in a crockpot with sugar and stuff. I’ve had them before. Bean jam, almost. Americans sure are weird!

I’m right there with you as you add some pork and lashings of salt to your beans, but good grief, sugar and marshmallows?

HG

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Enigma”]Let’s get some terminolgy straight. The pic above is of what us Yanks call “pork and beans”. Baked beans are not the same. Baked beans mean that you have mixed the appropriate ingredients, including beans (again, I like the red ones) with pork and boiled them. After the beans are soft, you add copious amounts of brown sugar and liquid smoke, leaving enough liquid to make them a bit fluid. Now pop them covered in the oven for an hour. My kids like marshellos added to the top after it comes out of the oven. I don’t, but to each their own.
Pork and beans are different animal.[/quote]
Why would you Yanks call the beans in my pic pork 'n beans if they’ve never been near a pig or a part thereof? Is this something like what you call “Football” which is a game where your foot never touches the ball?[/quote]

Yeah well last time I checked I didn’t see any F’ing “crickets” in that ridiculous game of yours either.

That supermarket in the circle in Tien Mu had a huge variety of beans.

It’s called cricket because while you’re bored out of your mind which is slowly cooking in the midday heat out on silly mid on or some such, there’s nothing else to do but spot crickets. So technically, there are crickets, you just have to find them.

HG

Well, since it is T’Day eve, maybe we should make it clear. If it ain’t baked it aint “Baked Beans” The crapola that I see in pics is “pork and beans” and usualy eaten at a BBQ, cold. On the other hand, BBB are baked and have a “plethora” of spices and sugars with them. To each their own.
However, as we approach the true day of giving thanks, I want to offer the following: Oyster Pie!
Sounds horrendous but bear with me.
Get at least 3 of the little baggies of oysters from the local market. Put them in a colander or bowl and clean the water up.
Bake a loaf of cheap Rt Mart bread until it’s crispy. Chop it into little piecees. Chop an large onion into small small peices. Same with a few stalks of cerelry. Chop a few cloves of garlic to bits. Fry the garlic, cerlery and onion in a pan with a little butter. (come on, be brave.) In Cajun country this is called the “Holy Trinity”) Don’t use olive oil or the like. Butter will do.) Now mix the lot together. Squish and squeeze. Now put the whole lot in a baking dish and bake in your toasty for an hour or so. When it comes out, you got oyster pie. Now, if you want Cajun style, as I do, pop in some hot spices before you bake.
A truly memorable experience. (Don’t forget to add salt, pepper and Chili pepper as you see fit.
Enjoy. BTW, I like to use a metal cake pan to bake this in so I can cut it like a pie.
If I can, I like to pour some turkey gravey on the side.
Damnnnnnnnn!

Yesterday?

Buttercup;
Maybe in your world, but in the west where this tradition developed, tomorrow today is the 4th Thursday in November. It is Thanksgiving.

Ahhh. I live in the ‘middle’…

So those beans that cowboys eat in the movies, like Iggy Pop makes in this scene from Dead Man, are they sweetened too?

HG

Let’s make it clear indeed!

The cold crapola that you call pork and beans (does lard count as pork?) is not the same as real baked beans, that carefully balanced, worthy staple of civilized countries. Next time you’re in London, Capetown, or Melbourne, take a careful look at a baked bean can label. No pork/lard there! And yes, you’ll find a few spices and just a bit of sugar listed.

Nobody cares about the details of the preparation method. Everyone from cooks to queens loves baked beans.

Well, I had no idea that there were different types of baked beans. Thanks to everyone for the education.

My idea of baked beans are best described as ‘Heinz’ (although a different brand here). All that pork stuff sounds horrid!

I finally went to City Super. NT$75 (I think).

:hungry:

Matsusei tends to stock them for about NT$70 a can, but it’s HP, not Heinz…
Considering that the Heinz ones are like 20-25p a tin in the UK… :s

I want Spam instead of the baked beans.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Matsusei tends to stock them for about NT$70 a can, but it’s HP, not Heinz…
Considering that the Heinz ones are like 20-25p a tin in the UK… :s[/quote]You think that’s cheap? You obviously weren’t in the UK at the time of the Great Baked Bean War. I remember it well.

Yup, I was at uni then. Beans, tinned tomatoes and bread, spaghetti and lentils were go. Supplemented by a little light shoplifting, I could eat on £5-10 a week.

How the f do you put tomatoes and bread into a tin?

You don’t. Tinned tomatoes on a slice, bit of stolen cheddar on top. Toast. Voila. Instant pizza. :wink:

I-R-O-N-Y
But yeah, student days, tomato sauce on bread. Couldn’t afford a toaster. Sometimes some shoplifted Cheddar. Mmmm. Miss those days in a sick, strange kind of way.
Probably because I was more handsome then.

I still hate spaghetti with tomato sauce, to this day. And Red Stew. A student house invention. Big pot. All ingredients must be vegetarian, edible and red. Cook for one hour. Enjoy all week. If ye taketh from the pot, ye must put something red back. No, aubergines don’t count, dumbass.

I remember a debate about red wine in cooking. Some flatmates believed it to be an impious waste, as cooking reduced the alcohol content. A £2.49 bottle of Chianti was fairly sophisticated, and not to be sniffed at if one wished to give the appearance of a European sophisticate, useful when art-school boys or philosophy students were imminent. Others held that its magical powers were not diminished by the addition of heat and kidney beans.

urodacus would be able to settle it.

Urgh. Can’t eat tinned spaghetti. Love tinned baked beans, though. MMM! On toast with fried egg, tomato and mushrooms. And that’s saying a lot. More into synthetic nourishment than organic.