Bali: Peak Time

The Rough Guide 2002 edition says the peak time in Bali is from mid-June, and that prices go through the roof over this period. After the Bali bombing, is this still the case? I thought business may have slowed even to now.

Also, could anyone give me an idea of room prices with fan, both in cities and in smaller places near interesting things to see and do?

[quote=“Europa”]The Rough Guide 2002 edition says the peak time in Bali is from mid-June, and that prices go through the roof over this period. After the Bali bombing, is this still the case? I thought business may have slowed even to now.

Also, could anyone give me an idea of room prices with fan, both in cities and in smaller places near interesting things to see and do?[/quote]

In my recent experience on Bali, everything is negotiable. In Kuta, you should be able to get an air-con room for 20,000 Rupia. It is the rainy season now, so the waters are a little muddier. On the plus side, you will be treated to the most spectacular lightning storms each and every night.

The Bali bombing has severely affected business. We dealt with lots of very knowledgable local guides and they confirmed this fact.

Make sure to visit Ubud. And, if you can, Menjangan Island (NW corner).

we had our honeymoon in bali last summer (aug.) and it was still pretty cheap, other than the plane tickets.

we wound up getting into villas that were underbooked for less than $12 us a night, which includes a pool and breakfast (just outside of ubud).

i don’t need to go to kuta anymore (see honeymoon statement above :slight_smile: ), and i didn’t miss not hitting there. we rented a jeep and drove all around the island, stopping for a few days in various places. we would just pop in and ask around, and found great deals.

if you get there before all the crowds, it should be even more of a buyer’s market. just don’t bargain too hard - the locals need to make some $$$ too.

have a great trip. btw, garuda (sp?) airlines flies direct, and tends to be the cheapest (wish i took them last time).

I just made a trip to Bali last December and everything is fine, re: rates I am not so sure about because our family rented a very nice villa in Canggu and hired a driver daily to ferry us about. I love Tanah Lot alot, the sun set was great!