Ban on women working late at night unconstitutional

China Airlines and Presicarre Corporation were given heavy fines several times after government inspectors found female workers working late at their companies from 2015 to 2016 and 2015 to 2019, respectively.

making women work late would only add to their burden, such as taking care of children and doing house chores

Absurd this law existed. Way to go Taiwan!

Article 49 of Taiwan’s Labor Standards Act stipulates that a female worker should not be made to work between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

What year is it Doc?!

7 Likes

On Friday, however, the Constitutional Court decided to void the law, citing Article 7 of the Constitution, which states that all citizens, irrespective of sex, religion, race, class, or party affiliation, shall be equal before the law

Beyond this law you’ve just posted about, Taiwan only believes in equality before the law for its citizens. Huh. Either that’s a mistranslation or Taiwan doesn’t believe that every human being in the country is equal, only citizens. Which explains a lot…

6 Likes

I feel like this same thing was discussed somewhere else recently, but now I can’t find it. Anyway, the Chinese version uses “中華民國人民”, or “people of the ROC”, which I guess is kind of ambiguous.

In practice of course we all know that the applicability of the law to non-citizens is essentially random.

It seems so since vast numbers of female migrant workers work the night shift in companies here and their Taiwanese colleagues often do the day shift . Some do it for years on end. And some Taiwanese women regularly do night shift work but much fewer in number.

This is also a good example of an absurd law that could be applied by a local government official if they wanted to…Too many contradictory laws like this as there was never any ban in place due to the law not being enforced .

1 Like

Perfect for corruption. What a gold mine that would be if you were in the right government position. Any ambiguous laws will be exploited by all who can (well not all but many).

1 Like

Another argument at the time was that sleeping against one’s biological clock was not good for one’s health, but the court said that held true for both men and women.

The old view is understandable, seeing that women are fragile creatures prone to bouts of hysteria :roll:

female-hysteria-1

3 Likes

over the years I’ve seen many women workers doing night shifts in McDonald’s and 7/11. I never imagined such a law existed

1 Like

I think it should be allowed if they get permission from their male guardian.

sarcastic reference to saudi arabia :point_up:

You assumed their gender :joy:

Immigration act, Article 62

移民法 第62條

A lot of laws from the dictatorship time are on the books. It takes time to get them all out even if they aren’t exactly on the books. This also includes our double standard dual citizenship laws.

It’s hard to restart and rebuild nations so even in the US or Canada there are weird or old laws that have never been deleted since it’s easier to just build on top of the old.

1 Like

Yeah but this is no “it’s illegal to cross state borders with a duck upon the head” law.

1 Like

Taiwan is rarely recognized for its extreme dilligence in details.

No… but it’s from the past. The US’s democracy and laws developed over two hundred years.

Taiwan became one overnight.