Bank cards left in taxi, what next?

My wife just left a purse with her cell phone and two of our bank cards (debit cards, E-Sun bank), in a taxi. We’ve been calling the phone to no avail. Something tells me we should call the bank right away and struggle hilariously with the Chinese menu before getting switched to someone terrified to hear a foreigner in English and who will speak at high speed in Chinese. Is this the usual procedure?

Bank called, cards canceled.

yeah. That is good news.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that, mate! Yeah, that’s the usual procedure. And if you’re lucky you’ll get an honest taxi driver who’ll return everything too. Any idea which company it was?

I left my wallet in a cab, and the gentleman actually took a look at my ARC, dropped the wallet off at my old apartment building (I’d moved since the ARC was issued).

Everything was in place.

NIce day indeed.

ALWAYS do - and recommend to everybody -a check of the cab’s interior before I shut the door, after my wife lost her expensive cell phone in one. I’ve found a total of about 100 NT in change that jingled out of my pockets over the last year, plus never worry about losing ID etc.

Amen to that. Same here , but for some reason, we tend to forget this golden rule mostly after a night of joy.
I stopped counting how many colleagues lost one or more cellphones in taxis :laughing:

To the OP, if the cell still responds, block the number ASAP samewise !
iPhone could be tracked with their mobileMe thingy.

The best news came a little while ago. Some local guy (a later passenger), called me and told me he’d picked up the purse. He listed the full contents to me, the cell phone, the three bank cards, and the USB stick, then gave me his Chinese name, English name, cell phone number, company name and address, and told me I can pick it up from him at 10am on Monday morning. What a champion. I am going to present him with a reward. :notworthy:

I was going to say that the next passenger might have got the things. Same thing happened to me on New Year’s eve. I dropped my purse with all my stuff by the riverside. Home keys, all my cards (HSBC premium credit/debitand all the other), phone, wallet the works. On new year’s day we got a call from the cops, that they had my purse…what??? I hadn’t even realized, I had dropped it, but a good lady picked it and went and delivered itto the POLICE STATION!!! No cards canceled nothing. Thing is none of it had my phone number. With my name, the cops tracked the husband’s cell phone and called him. We did send a reward to the lady and we had to force her to accept it!!

I know how you feel!!

could you imagine the odd’s this happening in EU or the US. It is damn known that people here are much more thrustfull.
Twice a taxi driver brought my wife’s purse or mobile home

I lost my ipod touch in a taxi once. My gf called some radio station that apparently lots of taxi drivers listen to. The next day the taxi driver called my cell and dropped it off at my apt. I was quite shocked that it was returned.

Glad to hear of such great ending.

I only use one taxi company, so, if anything is lost, we can call them and they can track teh taxi by the time and place taken.

I reccommend not taking independants with no markings, as even checking, sometimes in teh darkness or haste acciudents may happen.

Picked up the phone this morning, and left the young guy (a technician for Sony), with a red envelope (NT$2,000). Five minutes later on the way to work I received a phone call from him insisting that I had given him too much money. :astonished:

I explained very firmly that it was fine, and he should go and buy his girlfriend something for Valentine’s Day or whatever. A little more argument followed, and he was finally convinced. This place never ceases to surprise. In New York that phone would have been around the corner and up someone’s nose in about 10 minutes flat.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Picked up the phone this morning, and left the young guy (a technician for Sony), with a red envelope (NT$2,000). Five minutes later on the way to work I received a phone call from him insisting that I had given him too much money. :astonished:

I explained very firmly that it was fine, and he should go and buy his girlfriend something for Valentine’s Day or whatever. A little more argument followed, and he was finally convinced. This place never ceases to surprise. In New York that phone would have been around the corner and up someone’s nose in about 10 minutes flat.[/quote]

Thanks for posting that. :bravo:

Makes me look at the bright side again.

Yep, as crazy as this place is it doesn’t hurt to recognize it’s not a complete mess. There are some good people here.