Bank of Taiwan gold passbook?

Has anyone ever had success in opening a gold passbook account at bank of Taiwan? I tried opening a regular account their years ago and I didn’t even make it through the door

2 Likes

I don’t know what a gold passbook is.

I have a regular account at BoT. Opening the account took 2.5 hours with all the paperwork. Any other transaction in the bank takes at least an hour. So I avoid using the account as much as possible.

Why did you not make it through the door? Was it because you couldn’t find the entrance or because of the old dude outside in the security uniform?

2 Likes

This was about 4 years ago in Zhongshan. The security guard told me foreigners can’t open accounts, and I just gave up.

Total BS, of course. But I’ve had security guards at banks try to “help” me with wrong info a number of times. I try to smile and simply ignore them now.

I’ve had an account at BofT since 2008. I also don’t know what a gold passbook is. I just have a regular savings account.

1 Like

What’s the advantage of this elusive “gold passbook” account?

Guy

Huh? Really?
I have a BOT account that I opened when I started at my uni. Granted it was 20+ years ago but I don’t remember it taking forever to open it, though somebody from the school went with me.

Agree. It’s a bank that is particularly archaic, even by Taiwan standards.

I don’t know why anyone would want a gold passbook. Seems like it would be very heavy and hard to get into the bankbook updater.

G’nite Gracie.

1 Like

I think you’re joking, but for anyone who doesn’t know, a gold passbook is a bank account that you can put your savings into gold. The passbook is of course, paper, and shows your current holdings and price of gold relative to it.

It’s just an account that lets you save in gold, instead of fiat currency.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you!

Guy

I always like it when the guard insists on giving me the teller number when I need the service desk, even after telling him I need service. Then the teller says, oh you have the wrong number, and tells the guard to give me the service number.

So when I come in I make a fast beeline for the number machine before the guard can see I’m a bignose.

1 Like

I just tell him I can do it myself and I am a big boy now.

3 Likes

I’m happy when the guard does it, as I don’t want to put my hands onto a screen all you COVID infected people have been touching all day. :rofl:

I’ve never encountered a rude bank guard either. These guys get very little money for this work, and I find if you treat them with respect they are good guys.

Guy

1 Like