Bank refuses to transfer money, where do I report on them?

For transfers into the country I would just say gift from relatives. Probably the same in Taiwan too. They don’t seem to check jack shit. It’s mandatory for them to call and get a reason for incoming transfers above a certain amount.

The revenue authority may check though if they suspected you weren’t declaring income,obvious cases such as a company transferring money routinely to you.

You may know this but if you carry cash out of the country, the limit to not declare is 10k USD. It is 100k TWD so definitely convert into USD.

1 Like

Most Taiwanese memorize their ID#.

Or start a temple.

2 Likes

Or a claw machine shop.

‘Where did you get that money’?
‘Claw machine shop’

Ok then…

2 Likes

Yup, its pretty common requirement here, something i am unfortunately very much sub par at haha. Han Taiwanese are generally exceptionally good at basic number/symbol memorization, that is for sure an undeniable fact. I wish i had that level of visual memory. Its clear why given the language, and never ceases to amaze me. Imagine the potential if coupled with logic. Sky is the limit. This is why so many have hope for taiwan. Taiwan is doing both, and i have faith it would kick ass (more than it already is) if allowed time to bloom.

1 Like

Usually taiwan banks get their panties in a knot on 2 numbers: 10k USD and 500k NTD. Because you are transfering below both those numbers to a foreign country i would have a strict fuck you attitude towards the bank on the foreign bank accounts card issue. They really can go stick it on this issue. say it with polite, yet firm, words and a smile on your face whilst saying the obvious fuck you. They are a service provider, after all.

But you also need to understand taiwan is an unrecognized hub of corruption. money laundering is a VERY real concern in this country. on top of the reasons money is laundered. Drugs is a main one, but so many other things from illegal goods trafficking, to humans to dumping to food. Taiwan does it all, and does it relatively well, to be fair (which is why taiwan is making more and more laws that cripple society/low end economy, unforunately doing nearly piss all at enforcement…all related). That said, and hopefully you just take it as fact/reality here, you should absolutely at least have a plausible story and backup documents for where the money came from. They care about this, if for no other reason than to pass off liability to another entity. And, quite frankly, they have reason to care about this!

1 Like

Not sure if anyone watches the news here, but at least 2x a week, the news is reporting about someone getting scammed or almost getting scammed. So maybe they just want to make sure not sending your money to some saudi prince for some great ROI. :smiley:
Personally, I’m shocked people still fall for that kind of stuff.

1 Like

like fake kidnapping, winning lotteries and having to send the tax, etc.

There are even people pretending to be cops or prosecutors. If anyone calls saying they are law enforcement, hang up, call 1999 or whatever scam hotline they have and confirm if it is law enforcement trying to contact you. Actually most the time they don’t even call… they just come find you if they want to talk to you.

It’s probably all those sneaky English operation interfaces.

6 Likes

LOL! :laughing: That is from the First bank haha

Which gangster? Where?

Exactly. Via phone, internet, door to door, atm, buisnesses, religious, mail, on the street interactions etc etc. Taiwan is crawling with fraud and cheating. the issue is people arent normally equiped with crucial social critical thinking/experience needed to smell a cheat, regardless of how poorly they seem to try. Taiwanese are generally quite naive in some ways, less so in others. Its why i love them so much! they have soft spots for people that i wouldnt of had if not for meeting them. but they do get cheated a LOT. Which evolves into other problems that we see on the daily. Such as strange rules an laws due to a slightly entitled expactation by the public followed by knee jerk idiocy by the government.