Banking rant (traveling outside of Taiwan)

I found you can add about 3 accounts every 3 months until the inquiries drop and do it again. I accumulated credit and accounts this way but eventually closed a bunch as it’s too much trouble tracking and their service is equally crappy.

I’ve read that in Japan if one bank rejects a client they mark the credit report as rejected and then when you apply elsewhere the next bank sees the rejection and rejects as well.

4 Likes

I understand that. I used to work in a bank.

The thing that annoyed me is having to go into the branch where I opened the account and show them a physical printout of the sale contracts in order for them to unfreeze my account. It was also annoying having my account frozen when rent was due.

3 Likes

The thing of the account opening branch is silly, on the email, since there is no electronic signature legislation in place yet, you either have to fax, mail in or in person submit the documents unless they (unlikely) don’t develop a safe upload submission tool online.

3 Likes

Had to skip some holiday attractions last year because, in Europe, in some large payment systems signature is not supported anymore.
A pouch full of cash it is then this year.

It is sad, that Taiwan’s user facing tech (not only fintech) is like 10 years behind developed world.

4 Likes

Is there such thing in TW?

1 Like

Did you get a 4 digit PIN number setup? America is not as advanced you see, and still rely on the magnetic strip and 4 digit PIN numbers. Their machines don’t do the smart card thing it seems…

:wink: I pass frequently by JKOPay office in Neihu with big cofounder photo displayed in the window.
This passes for the fintech in Taiwan I guess.

Jeez…

1 Like

This is probably just a complete coincidence, but I was trying to help my friend set up JKOPay on her phone a couple of nights ago. I think she accidentally clicked the identity card option rather than the ARC option then impatiently pressed the “retry” key several times when the photos of her ARC didn’t go through… and immediately after that the system went down, with a message saying engineers were looking into it, and the app completely stopped working on my phone too with the same error message. I’m not a massive user, but it’s been working perfectly for me up to now and I’ve never encountered any service outage issues when I’ve needed to use it.

It was fixed after 30-60 minutes or so, and like I say it was probably just a coincidence that had nothing to do with my friend trying to register… but it did get me wondering how resilient the system is. :thinking:

6 Likes

Yes, I also do the same. You can never have enough fail safes :wink:

1 Like