Banks and kinds of plastic

You might try and pursue this with the ATM’s bank.
Last night I was using an ATM in a 7-11. It ate my cash and went spastic! Luckily a money changing security guy was there and undid the machine, extracted my cash (stuck in cogs) and noted all the details in his record sheet. The ATM has an electronic log of all transactions. etc. Am I naive enough to believe that the bank will review the ATM’s record and refund you? I certainly don’t have the language skills for this sort of negotiation.

I am going to try for that provisional credit thingy, today with CIBC. I would like to try talking to Hua Nan Bank, as the ATM that caused the errror is located inside their bank branch, but doubtful how helpful they might be, as it was all electronic.

Keep in mind that they have a surveillance tape which could prove you were at that ATM and perhaps show that you have not gotten the money.

Well…my bank sucks,

I called them and they said they will not give me a credit for the amount and also that it will take 90 days to investigate which is out of their control, they also sent me an email giving me the same information.

90 days is 3 months, I am afriad Hua Nan Bank may purge surveillance tapes/ATM records by than. I would hope they would have a system that checks to see if the balance of money physically dispensed from the ATM and what is recorded are equivalent…

I will attempt to speak to the bank staff today…other than that…not sure what other actions I have available. Will also try the CIBC ombudsman…

What is a good bank here in Taiwan to use? We need to open an account since we’re getting tired of using our ATM card from States and getting charged a fee everytime we need cash. We need a bank that will work with bank back home, transferring some money, etc.

Thanks!

Hua Nan Bank investigated and said they did receive money from CIBC, but their ATM made an “error” and failed to dispense the cash. What a scam, regardless, they said eventually (3 months) the cash would be returned to my account.

Naturally, I was pissed I would need to wait 3 months for my money back, so they said they may have it returned by early next week…

Needless to say, I am closing my CIBC account and switching to a more helpful Canadian bank, and will also find a local bank to decrease my reliance on Candian Financial Institutions.

If any lesson can be learned from this, check your statements EXTREMELY carefully…

get an Amex using your parent’s address in the US…the Amex in America don’t have annual fees

Another speciality about the AMEX is that it can’t be used except from in a few foreign-owned major chains.

I have one, but I don’t use it that much.

You can always transfer your points to Starwood, then from Starwood transfer your points to the airline of your choice. :rainbow:

AMEX coverage will greatly improved is still poor. You can put any travel related charges on time - but for others its pay in the next month.

I’ve had the platinum card for 2 years now. I’m considering dropping it because the extra features don’t seem worth the annual fee.

Hi all,
I am living in Taiwan and I need a bank account so some friends told me that there is a Forum where maybe I can get some Information about.
I got from some of your comments, that I need an ARC, this I have.
Does the bank need also some Documents from my company?
Does the bank need some Income evidence?
Does the Bank pay some interest on your account?

I would appreciate if someone is able to answer my questions!!!

Thanks in advance

Ciccio

Does the bank need also some Documents from my company? No
Does the bank need some Income evidence? No
Does the Bank pay some interest on your account? A little

An employment contract (as proof of income) would be helpful, might depend on the bank or the person you are dealing with.
Interest rates on the NTD are low and pathetic for most foreign currencies.

If you want a credit card you need a guarantor, that is a Taiwanese person that will vouch for you.

[quote=“Vannyel”]Does the bank need also some Documents from my company? No
Does the bank need some Income evidence? No
Does the Bank pay some interest on your account? A little

thanks a lot Vannyel

[quote=“Rascal”]An employment contract (as proof of income) would be helpful, might depend on the bank or the person you are dealing with.

If you want a credit card you need a guarantor, that is a Taiwanese person that will vouch for you.

thanks also to you, no feel a little better!

[quote=“Rascal”]An employment contract (as proof of income) would be helpful, might depend on the bank or the person you are dealing with.

If you want a credit card you need a guarantor, that is a Taiwanese person that will vouch for you.[/quote]

This is not correct anymore, but differences may still exist between the different banks

If you have savings in nt dollars and leave the country for good, how do you keep your savings in nt$ while keeping them accessible to you (because the exchange rate is too bad when you leave the country)?

Chinatrust allow me to access my account form abroad, and with the internet banking i can control the investment side etc, so doing it form abroad would not be an issue, transferring any balances once the exchange improved would be more of a problem, as that requires a signature.

As the Exchange is unlikely to get significantly better in the near to medium term, suggest you take the hit now.

Be careful with the bank you chose, Taipeibank for example does not allow foreigners to use ATM machine overseas (so I have been told when I inquired why I couldn’t withdraw cash from an ATM in Europe).

So does Chinatrust. No withdraw from overseas ATM machines (at least not if you don’t have an ARC)