Banks trying to improve?

What if I tell you those video ID providers don’t accept a lot of foreigners too? Despite being a legal resident in the relevant countries. You just don’t hear it much. I’d say because third-worlder are used to discriminations, and know it’s useless to complain.

In one case, the problem actually went to MEP. There was official complaint and response. Promise to be fixed or that it has been fixed. And yet a lot of verification system like video IDs still don’t work for a lot of passports and nationalities. Despite the official page claiming otherwise. You need to fight for the bank to provide alternative methods and so on.

“Discrimination” happens everywhere. A lot of people complaining here came from western countries and are surprised when they got the same treatment some foreigners experienced elsewhere.

3 Likes

Can you get the inside scoop on how to ask out a teller? Inquiring minds want to know…

5 Likes

Is that you JIM?

3 Likes

As far as I know, the SOP is to pass her a note with a romantic quote on it, and… your number.

3 Likes

Your . . . credit card number? :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Bank balance number.

2 Likes

Very interesting :slight_smile: I wonder if this is a follow-up in an attempt to disprove a recent report with unpleasant conclusions we gave a few banks & the regulator. Or perhaps a response to calling out the regulator’s lack of understanding of treatment of foreign nationals in a meeting with other ministries. The timing fits - there’s a follow-up meeting next month.

10 Likes

The regulator IMO is reactive and not proactive. They will help specific foreigners if you complain and in that sense they are helpful as they will try to intervene but they aren’t proactive in that they seem happy to just defer to the bank’s judgement and try to say they can’t get involved.

1 Like

I don’t think so. It seems like they’re self- evaluating the staffs ability to speak English to foreign customers rather than actually provide services and accurate information.

They pass the visits if they give easy to understand explanations even if the explanation is incorrect according to the banks own rules (which were provided to me)

2 Likes

Fair enough, all banking systems are open to fraud?
No legitimate reason a valid passport in a valid address in the hands of a legitimate ‘Person’ should fail?
However there are faults in technology and Taiwanese ‘human error’ banking,

Dunno. Is shit software and system a legitimate reason in your opinion?
If the system works for people from “good” countries, no reason to fix them. Fuck the rest who have difficulties opening a bank account. I think that’s the reasoning.

Anyways, just be grateful you were born in the correct country and have never faced this kind of problems before Taiwan.

1 Like

So in other words suck up discrimination in Taiwan just because you have ‘privledge’ at home. Did I understand your meaning correctly?

4 Likes

Who says I haven’t?
I was born in Hong Kong though not my my country evolving.
Assumptions of persons you don’t know.

Chop that on your countless amount of documents and copies.

2 Likes

Yep. Suck it up.

Chill.

1 Like

That is quite a farce.

2 Likes

Also as a side note the vast majority of foreigners in Taiwan are not from English speaking countries. If I remember correctly the overwhelming majority of foreigners in Taiwan are Vietnamese?
If they really wanted to improve service to foreigners they should market to the majority (have Vietnamese service) not the minority IMHO

1 Like

Cool gig :slight_smile:

It’d only be related if it was First Bank, Huanan, Mega or Bank of Taiwan.

I will note that there is some long-standing misunderstanding by banks/regulator that all issues experienced by foreign nationals with the banking system are merely caused by language/cultural barriers. They were really unhappy when we proved this was not the case.

10 Likes

Why would I do that when a quick call to the FSC solves my issue. You can feel free to take it up the … all you want

2 Likes

I don’t really thing they truly believe that. It’s just their excuse. Fixing the root cause of the problems would be too much work for the regulator

1 Like

It sure is but it’s a farce that pays well for easy work :joy:

1 Like