Banner ads that go nowhere

i clicked on the carnagie’s banner ad running dow the side of a page, and though the address seemed to display correctly in the address bar, “page is not available” came up …

a problem with the page, or with the banner?

I just tried it and it worked fine for me. But that doesn’t mean you didn’t have a problem - I would blame their webserver (but I’m little biased) :wink:

the other ones seem to work alright, but the carnagie’s one keeps giving me nothing …

i’m sure that i’ll live, just thought you should know. :slight_smile:

They have a Flash entrance page - would you double-check if your browser has the correct plug-in? I only suggest this because I haven’t been able to duplicate your problem (yet)

if i enter the addy into the address bar, there are no problems. i have the flash plug in, and running IE on windows XP …

all/most other banners lead somewhere (tried a few this morning) except for this one.

It works for me… :idunno:

[quote=“xtrain”]if i enter the addy into the address bar, there are no problems. I have the flash plug in, and running IE on windows XP …

all/most other banners lead somewhere (tried a few this morning) except for this one.[/quote]
thanks for the heads up. I admit - I am mystified

We are using phpAdsNew - a popular, GNU-licensed ad server. there could be bugs, but only rarely have there been any problems (in the past they were with flash-based banners) but not like this (that I can remember)

The Carnegie’s Egg banner is as standard as you can get: a GIF file pointing to a simple URL: www.carnegies.net

If you have or anyone else has experience with phpAdsNew and is aware of this type of bug, please post here

[quote=“xtrain”]if i enter the addy into the address bar, there are no problems. I have the flash plug in, and running IE on windows XP …

all/most other banners lead somewhere (tried a few this morning) except for this one.[/quote]

Clear yer cookies out.

I see something about celebrating eggs, but the link takes me somewhere without eggs. What am I doing wrong ?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“xtrain”]if i enter the addy into the address bar, there are no problems. I have the flash plug in, and running IE on windows XP …

Clear yer cookies out.[/quote]

did that two days ago … not sure that’s enuf time to cause this problem.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I see something about celebrating eggs, but the link takes me somewhere without eggs. What am I doing wrong ?[/quote]Nothing, you are doing fine

[quote=“xtrain”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“xtrain”]if i enter the addy into the address bar, there are no problems. I have the flash plug in, and running IE on windows XP …

Clear yer cookies out.[/quote]

did that two days ago … not sure that’s enough time to cause this problem.[/quote]

Naah. Probably not.

You noticed what Goose Egg said about it being a GIF, not Flash, right? (Not that that answers your question. At least you’ll not be barking up the wrong tree.)

Incidentally, the link works for me.

it works now …

i dunno what’s up. :help:

[quote=“xtrain”]it works now …

i dunno what’s up. :help:[/quote]

I fixed it for you. Don’t ask me how. I just did.

(OK, OK… I used my special eyeballs)

i’ll sleep better at night now … :wink: