Banning positive COVID cases from going to the polls is NOT unconstitutional

And now, after the 2019 Supreme Court ruling, no Canadian federal government will be permitted to pass such a law again.

Guy

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

Can the many Taiwanese, who have American passports, but haven’t been there since their birth, vote in American elections?

Yes

Citizenship is more than just taxes. If you truly feel that way, you don’t have to be American. You can apply to be Taiwanese and the Taiwanese are not going to stop you. While in reality, Taiwan is a de facto settler’s state, but an ethnostate officially as it’s a government imported from China. There’s a principle…let’s say of commonality with citizenship. It’s a official recognition of membership and the rights and duties within the community. In the past, for most ethnostates, that may entail a high level of cultural and linguistic integration within the community. This is also why a PR application is merely a financial test, while the citizenship application has tests that include, but are not limited to knowledge, history and language skills.

In this globalised world, democracies in particular have lowered the barriers to joining the community to a basic level of commonality while authoritarian countries have kept the barriers to entry high for foreigners as many still rely on a mantra of racial supremacy. But at the same time, is Italy the same if most people that live there are not Italian? If simply paying taxes is enough for a vote, who is to stop a large authoritarian country from sending people to sway elections? Citizenship is partly a declaration of your loyalty to a country or supranational union. And for those authoritarian states, loyalty to it goes beyond anything else in life including family.

Taiwan isn’t the republican Chinese ethnostate of the 70s anymore. Dual citizenship is an issue and a HUGE barrier for many foreigners as we have familial ties and business ties with our old countries. But, given the fact that since you joined the forum, your posts largely indicate you’ve been here at least five years and if you want that Taiwanese vote, the Taiwanese are not going stop you from applying and will happily welcome you in. You’ll just have to renounce your US citizenship in an extra test of loyalty to a multicultural country still set up like an ethnostate.

1 Like

The only days i do not hear “oh that foreigner speaks Chinese” are the days when I do not leave my home. This will not change if I have a passport. They will not welcome me if I have a passport. Theres a whole thread dedicated to the discussion about foreigners gaining Taiwanese citizenship.

And why should I have to renounce my citizenship to the US when Taiwanese can have both US and Taiwanese citizenship? Its the discussion that comes up time and time again.

1 Like

Spreading contagious diseases knowingly is punishable by law. Therefore, having a certified case standing in line and coughing all over the polls ain’t right. The government is not going to say it is peachy, voting is more important. You sick, you stay at home for the duration of your sickness.

Hence, if anyone skips the restrictions, in such small hoods/voting districts where everyone knows each other and everyone knows if you are sick, have a gf, are late on rent, which hotel you stayed on your vacation etc , such a case is easy to find.

So the constitutional question is whether this can be enforced or not. Answer is yes.

No, it doesn’t matter if asymptomatic. No, it doesn’t matter if you think it’s the flu. Yes, they can try and not report it, they are grownups and can gamble and live with the consequences.

1 Like

Again, you asked a question and I answered it. If you’re different in any country, you’re always going to be different. You’re from the US, you know how blacks are treated in the US. You know if you’re gay in some counties you’re going to get different treatment. Stop pretending like this only happens in Taiwan. You want to be 100% betelnut chewing local?

In the past, the government expects 100% commonality and loyalty.

Today, governments are far more welcoming to foreigners and the locals don’t have much of a problem with this. If you are different, you are going to be seen a bit different.

But you asked about getting a vote because you pay taxes. I gave you an answer.

Yes, I’m pretty sure you’re aware of my efforts to help foreigners.

That’s not what you asked. That is a different story and I addressed that in my post.

You know how I feel about dual citizenship.

This is true. And hopefully this causes enough of an uproar for people to want to overhaul this retarded voting system we have here. Not to allow sick people in line, but to allow people to vote where they live (or even force it) and allow people being stopped by law from voting other options to vote.

Voting should be an absolute right for a citizen. They can manage it better for people with viruses.

#decouplefromhouseholdregistrationlimitations

Can’t wait for them to announce that people with the flu or pnu, and their close contacts, are also banned from voting live and in person as well. Especially seeing as an average of 93 people are dying of one or both of these every day this past week in Taiwan.

If they want to be thorough, no live poll unless you get a clear medical that you’re not carrying any type of contagious virus whatsoever.

Just to be fair.

They also need to make it a holiday. Heck, provide free transportation like we do in our 4th world country.

1 Like

I think that just because something’s “not unconstitutional” doesn’t make it right. Not being in the constitution just means that those writing the constitution didn’t think of it at the time. A good constitution is a living document that should change over time. By way of comparison witness America’s struggles with firearms, abortion and new technologies. I’m not saying that amendments addressing all of these issues should be added to America’s constitution, but yeah, an update seems in order.

The CEC, if its behaving rationally, shouldn’t even need to bring up the constitution. The very fact they need to do so is suspect. They can ease regulations to accommodate voters. It’s not like it’s an insoluble problem or anything.

I hope we start seeing more pushback against this organization. People have been trying too hard to follow absurd rules for too long.

Which party is expected to benefit from this ban?

The one that stays home.

1 Like

Rather, the party people judge as responsible for forcing or allowing this will be sacrificing votes in the election. It is absurd to ban people from voting. Be it because they are ill or otherwise. Especially at a time the current National gov us at a time where it is of utmost importance to differentiate from China. Now we are banning votes AND acting like covid oppressors :confounded: It is a bad look, people wont let this one slide…

Does it matter if you wear a hazmat suit?

Called it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

4 Likes

I don’t give a hoot about who becomes the next mayor of my city, but I’m going to vote for the sole purpose of shocking the poll workers.

Them: “Sorry, foreigners can’t vote.”
Me: “我是台灣人”
Them: “What? Sorry, I don’t speak English.”

I suppose you were not around in K-Town during the Han wave, or the subsequent recall? :joy:

Guy

Good. Now no concern about some whack jobs deliberately spreading covid in certain areas so as to help skew elections in their party’s favor… :crazy_face:

Besides, was the gov really going to attempt to rapid test for COVID everyone that showed up to vote before they could vote? Imagine the pandemonium