Bar code scanners for our library

We want to bring our library up to date and were thinking that a bar code system just like in real libraries would work well for us too.

So, (and don’t laugh, I can barely quote posts here) what we would need would be:

Bar codes for the books, and bar codes for each student
and the software to match books to students accounts?

Is that about right?

Now for the finding part: where can I get this stuff…and any idea on how much it would cost us?

thanks
JDS

You also need bar code scanner/readers…

Sorry jd, I’m being a bit dim today - didn’t read the thread title properly.

A PC, with a scanner/reader, a bunch of barcodes, and a suitable database (with User Interface), you’ve got everything you need.

There are two kinds of reader, that I’ve come across, both behave like keyboard input devices. I.e, when a barcode is scanned they simply send a stream characters, just like a stream of keyboard characters. So, you don’t need anything complex on the hardware side…

[quote=“Roach”]Sorry jd, I’m being a bit dim today - didn’t read the thread title properly.

A PC, with a scanner/reader, a bunch of barcodes, and a suitable database (with User Interface), you’ve got everything you need.

There are two kinds of reader, that I’ve come across, both behave like keyboard input devices. I.e, when a barcode is scanned they simply send a stream characters, just like a stream of keyboard characters. So, you don’t need anything complex on the hardware side…[/quote]

That’s ok…can I just go to 3C and get this kind of stuff?

Not sure about barcode scanners. Can’t recall ever seeing anything like that in 3C. The company I work for does POS machines, so I’ll ask around tomorrow AM… I don’t think the non-laser readers are expensive, but let me check.

Not sure about barcode scanners. Can’t recall ever seeing anything like that in 3C. The company I work for does POS machines, so I’ll ask around tomorrow AM… I don’t think the non-laser readers are expensive, but let me check.[/quote]

That’s awesome man! Thanks. I would love to simplify the whole damn system at a reasonable cost.

Implants in the kids foreheads. :loco: :wink:

Go to one of those magazine / book renting places and ask ??? I dunno, might be the way.