Bar is set lower for people with a "foreign face"?

Your friend needs to do more networking and less random e-mailing. One would assume that if he’s Taiwanese-American he has relatives or friends of the family in the workforce? One introduction is worth 100,000 e-mails.

1 Like

Are they still hiring?

4 Likes

They might in the states or it may be in the kind of things he didn’t train for. If the family were all government workers networking does nothing to get you in because in Taiwan all government job is based on nothing more than test scores. Taiwanese Americans are seriously disadvantaged here because the level of Chinese necessary to pass those tests are very advanced.

That’s a pretty defeatest attitude. Those government workers are bound to know people in all different fields, and those connections can be put to use. I’ve gotten most of my jobs here through connections, and I’m a foreigner for god’s sake.

My two cents as an ABC living in Taiwan - I don’t have any friends or family who are still in the work force here. Either they’re all in the States, or they’ve been retired for long enough that they don’t matter anymore. Guanxi could go a long way but even my dad who moved back here to retire has been out of Taiwan long enough that he might as well be a foreigner.

I speak from experience. Everyone in my family was senior government worker and if I wanted to work for the government I have to take the test and pass. It’s extremely difficult and nothing anyone in my family can do to jump the queue.

And the test questions are extremely difficult. I scored 2 out of 100 on the Chinese portion.

So maybe don’t apply for a government job?

1 Like

I’m saying that not all guanxi matter. Government work is one of them, unless you can prove that you have a skill they desperately need.

Also I noticed in Taiwan especially among commoners (anyone not white collar office worker) there is actually disdain for Taiwanese Americans. We’re not treated as bad as Filipinos but it’s close sometimes.

You do know that many Filipinos are native English speakers right? Do you see many of them teaching at cram schools or working as tech writers?

If you’re ABC you may have to commit fraud to get a job (as in use a foreign name, make ups, even fake foreign IDs) to overcome this.

It’s way harder to get teaching jobs if you don’t have a North American accent, over 40 years old, and many many other factors. Would a white face help? Yes , but just as one of many factors. I know plenty of African Americans who have landed way better work than most people I know. Additionally being super smart would not be the first factor I’d look for in hiring a kids teacher (I managed quite a large cram school 15 years before for one year), rather I’d want someone who is good with kids and knows how to teach in a way kids find interesting and fun. Sometimes the smartest people make the worst teachers. Incidently, my boss did discriminate against other south east Asians but hired plenty of “Chinese Americans” and “African Americans” if they could teach reagrdless if they were smart or dim. That was over 12 years ago and I would guess things have progressed. You’re over simplifying , and someone who is able to do technical writing might not be the most entertaining teacher (sorry for the discrimination against technical writers).
:grinning:

1 Like

Only among people who know them.

2 Likes

With regard to Private Sector jobs, I’ve been tested on Chinese a few times. Many of the times it’s basically similar to what you would find on the Taiwanese College Entrance Examination, which while isn’t hard for locals, would be difficult for some ABC’s. Meanwhile my foreigner friend who interviewed at the same company reported that she only had to orally answer questions like “妳叫什麼名字?” “妳可以什麼時候開始工作?” or “妳要在台灣待多久?” (What’s your name? When can you start work? How long to you plan to stay in Taiwan?")

A lot of locals think an “ABC” is someone who grew up learning ABC, even someone who only began learning it in a high school in Monterey Park, CA.

1 Like

He had a few brief gigs as a teacher but he didn’t like it. He wants to get out, hence why he’s trying to transition from part-time buxiban gigs to technical writing.

Taiwanese people can be really dumb about this. My girls dad is a lawyer and lectures in Taiwan sometimes. He asks why they take his class, people say to learn English. He has a thick Italian accent.

2 Likes

I knew several Italians who came here to teach English, they definitely were not fluent. Some Germans I’ve met are really fluent in English though.

I knew several Italians who came here to teach English, they definitely were not fluent. Some Germans I’ve met are really fluent in English though.

Since we’re not really talking about teaching English, but rather office jobs which require Chinese, that’s kind of beside the point?

1 Like

I wonder what your “friend” would think about you throwing shade at him about both his intelligence and the fact you think he shouldn’t have gotten his job. :thinking:

Sometimes people get lucky. Or maybe he has expertise and skills suited for that particular field that you aren’t aware of.

I do agree the ESL industry prefers native speakers to instruct in English. But I don’t think that extends to all fields, such as tech and engineering. It’s possible some companies just prefer foreign degrees to degrees attained at Taiwanese universities, and so that gives the impression of westerners being favored.

5 Likes

Are you serious? That’s crazy pressure… Hope she came through it ok…

1 Like

I have seen Russian that barely speaks English teach English…

1 Like

The letters look kind of similar?

1 Like