Basic Cost of Living 2012: Just the Facts

Good morning!

I’m possibly moving to Taiwan soon and require some basic budgeting figures for the following items in Taipei.

Housing (rentals with basic furnishing and within 10 minutes walking distance to a metro station).
Budget Furnished Studio: ???
Deluxe Furnished Studio: ???
Budget One Bedroom: ???
Deluxe One Bedroom: ???
Average monthly electric cost (studio running air con 10 hours at 26 in summer night plus standard electronics, fridge): ???

Food:
Western style breakfast (2 eggs, bread, beverage): ???
Taiwan-style lunch/dinner (noodles, vegatables, tea, chicken/pork): ???
Subway Sandwich: ???
McDonalds Cheeseburger: ???
Starbucks medium cappucccino: ???
High Quality Taiwan dinner for one (no alcohol): ???
High Quality Western dinner for one (no alcohol): ???

Transportation:
Taxi Drop Fee: ???
Average cost 10 kilomter ride: ???
Average metro ride of 5 stops:???
Train ride to nearest beach (length of time and location?): ???

Entertainment
Movie (western, one ticket, standard): ???
Movie 3D: ???
Massage 1 hour (health only): ???
One month low-end gym membership (western style weights/machines, no pool/sport-courts): ???
One month high-end health club membership: ???

Over the years, I find this to be basic information needed for deciding to move to a new country. (Note to moderator: you may wish to pin this and keep it updated)
I am grateful for everyone’s help and information. See you there soon perhaps.

Gratefully,
CA

Have you tried Numbeo.com ? They have some average prices for last 18 months:

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … try=Taiwan
numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ity=Taipei

Based on my own observations in central Taipei. I don’t search a lot, so I’m sure you could find cheaper if you’re determined or aren’t in central Taipei.

Housing (rentals with basic furnishing and within 10 minutes walking distance to a metro station).
Budget Furnished Studio: 8,000-13,000NT
Deluxe Furnished Studio: 15,000-25,000NT
Budget One Bedroom: ???
Deluxe One Bedroom: ???
Average monthly electric cost (studio running air con 10 hours at 26 in summer night plus standard electronics, fridge):
500-700NT per month

Food:
Western style breakfast (2 eggs, bread, beverage): sandwich 30NT, coffee 30ish NT…a sit down meal 200+ NT…mcdonalds breakfast 75ish NT
Taiwan-style lunch/dinner (noodles, vegatables, tea, chicken/pork): 50-80NT for a lunchbox with soup and maybe a drink
Subway Sandwich: 6-inch ham 85NT…cookie + small drink=29NT
McDonalds Cheeseburger: Bigmac meal is like 115NT
Starbucks medium cappucccino: Overpriced 100+ NT…go to 711/familymart 40ish NT
High Quality Taiwan dinner for one (no alcohol): ???
High Quality Western dinner for one (no alcohol): ???

Transportation:
Taxi Drop Fee: ???
Average cost 10 kilomter ride: ???
Average metro ride of 5 stops: MRT: Minimum 20NT, Max 40NT?, Bus: Minimum 15NT, Max (in-town) 30NT.
Train ride to nearest beach (length of time and location?): Taipei to Fulong, cheap enough to not worry about it. About an hour at most.

Entertainment
Movie (western, one ticket, standard): 250ish NT
Movie 3D: 100-200NT more than normal ticket.
Massage 1 hour (health only): ???
One month low-end gym membership (western style weights/machines, no pool/sport-courts): 700NT at Taipei Gym, if you’re a student then use the school’s gym for cheaper
One month high-end health club membership: ???

[quote=“expertalmost”]Good morning!

I’m possibly moving to Taiwan soon and require some basic budgeting figures for the following items in Taipei.

Budget Furnished Studio: ??? 10K
Deluxe Furnished Studio: ??? 20K up
Budget One Bedroom: ??? in shared apartment 6 to 8K
Deluxe One Bedroom: ??? 15K up
Average monthly electric cost (studio running air con 10 hours at 26 in summer night plus standard electronics, fridge): ??? 2K

Food:
Western style breakfast (2 eggs, bread, beverage): ??? cheap: 70nts luxury 120nt up
Taiwan-style lunch/dinner (noodles, vegatables, tea, chicken/pork): ??? cheap 100nt aveage 220nt
Subway Sandwich: ??? combo 110nt
McDonalds Cheeseburger: ??? about 100nts combo
Starbucks medium cappucccino: ??? 120nts
High Quality Taiwan dinner for one (no alcohol): ??? 300nts
High Quality Western dinner for one (no alcohol): ??? 400 nts

Transportation:
Taxi Drop Fee: ??? 70nts up
Average cost 10 kilomter ride: ??? 200-300
Average metro ride of 5 stops:??? 25 nts
Train ride to nearest beach (length of time and location?): ??? Fulong 70nts or 110nts -depending on speed of train

Entertainment
Movie (western, one ticket, standard): ??? 300nts
Movie 3D: ??? 400nts
Massage 1 hour (health only): ??? cheap 100nts spa 1200nts
One month low-end gym membership (western style weights/machines, no pool/sport-courts): ??? cheap gym 50nts per visit
One month high-end health club membership: ??? no way

Over the years, I find this to be basic information needed for deciding to move to a new country. (Note to moderator: you may wish to pin this and keep it updated)
I am grateful for everyone’s help and information. See you there soon perhaps.

Gratefully,
CA[/quote]

Thank you everyone for your kind assistance!

John, that numbeo link is a real goldmine. I’ve been checking prices of various cities I want to live (Barcelona, Venice, Tokyo) and passing the link to my travelling friends.
CTO, your eyes-on-recon is fantastic. I’ll be looking for a studio to start or a room to rent. Best not to make early commitments when arriving in a new country.
Icon, your confirmations and additional information fill in the picture for me to a high confidence level. Though I was very confused about your “People magazine’s Father’s Day Special or Supernatural (TV series) stuff” signature. Is that a joke whose cultural context escapes me or a real request for materials whose nomenclature bewilders me?

I am also happy to see this forum is well managed and active. Thank you to the moderators and site owners!

aloha ah
CA

Note that food prices depend greatly on whether you slum it at the local breakfast shops (sandwich 30-ish, coffee 30-ish) or have a big western breakfast at a popular western-style place like Carnegies with a Continental, “freshly squeezed orange juice accompanied by two freshly baked homemade croissants, breakfast rolls, salmon, fresh ham, slices of Gouda Cheese, butter, and jam,” around $250. Similarly, lunches vary, $50-80 for bottom end, to $110-$300 at food courts, $390-490 at Carnegies, and higher at a few very fancy places. Dinner is your same $50-80 for bottom end local, to $250-700+ for typical Western, all the way up to a couple thou for the best steak.