Basic guide to cigarettes in Taiwan?

Hello,

Before I continue, no, I am not a “smoker.” Yes, I realize smoking is bad. That said, I will smoke a cigarette on occasion, and I still think that a general understanding of cigarettes is useful for gift-giving, etc.

So when I walk into the 7/11s, I am really confused by the cigarette situation. I notice some familiar brands, but they are different. There are salems, for example, but they come in red, blue, and green. No idea what that means. Parliaments are here, but are any menthol? Are any lights?

What should I be looking for/asking for if I just want a light, menthol cigarette?

Also, are there any asian/taiwanese brands I should check out?

Check my avatar :wink:

Local TTL value brand, strong, oriental air cured tobacco , for old people. Non-menthol. (and a very misleading brand name which is only protected by the grandfathering act hehe)

[quote=“TheMixer”]Hello,

Before I continue, no, I am not a “smoker.” Yes, I realize smoking is bad. That said, I will smoke a cigarette on occasion, and I still think that a general understanding of cigarettes is useful for gift-giving, etc.

So when I walk into the 7/11s, I am really confused by the cigarette situation. I notice some familiar brands, but they are different. There are salems, for example, but they come in red, blue, and green. No idea what that means. Parliaments are here, but are any menthol? Are any lights?

What should I be looking for/asking for if I just want a light, menthol cigarette?

Also, are there any Asian/taiwanese brands I should check out?[/quote]

You can ask for the nicotine in mg (hao2 ke4). 10 is the max, mediums are 5 or 6, lights are 3 and super lights are 1. Most cigs brands have one or more of each nicotine level. Menthols are (liang2 yian1) and they come in various nicotine levels as well. So if you go to a 7-11, point out the brand you want to try and ask for san1 hao2 ke4 liang2 yian1.

The general color trend is:

Red/Black = Strong
Gold/Silver/White’ish/Dark Blue = Medium
Light Blue/ Pink/ Yellow = Light
Green/Blue: Menthols

I recommend a really nice japanese brand, it’s light and has a nice smell and smokiness to it. Something 5. or Classic 5. It’s 95 NT$ though.