Batman's new alter ego: Ben Affleck

I am not a fan.

ign.com/articles/2013/08/23/ … eel-sequel

I have a really high standard of continuity in fiction. Since they literally just finished a Batman series that ends in an unambiguous retirement for the caped crusader, the least that Zack Snyder could do is respect Nolan’s decision to end it.

What kills me is that Nolan even left a door open for anyone wishing to continue the Batman franchise with Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character. I have no problem with Batman being in a new film, but it shouldn’t be Bruce Wayne under the mask. JGL would have been the obvious choice, but failing that, I would have loved to see a black Batman played by Harry Lennix, the military commander guy in the first Man of Steel. There was something about him that made him seem sort of like War Machine in Iron Man, a military guy who would go beyond the call of duty to do what’s right – plus it would be really awesomely progressive to cast a non-white person as one of the most iconic superheroes of all time.

Needless to say, with so many possibilities, I think they have made the laziest choice possible in deciding to keep Bruce Wayne but just recast him. I also think that Ben Affleck is a terrible choice.

Discuss.

Who would you prefer?

It’s a better idea than Nicholas Cage playing Superman in a movie directed by Kevin Smith.

I kept thinking people were talking about Ben Stiller. It seemed a hilarious choice. But Ben Affleck is even funnier.

This is Ben Affleck.

This is Batman

It’s hard to see any resemblance.

That mask would look funny with that beard.

I kind of answered that already… Someone else could take up the Batman mantle, notably Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the dake of continuity.

We are returning to “homeostasis” – shitty Batman movies played by the biggest name they can get.

:ponder: = Initial reaction.
Though he did spend nearly a decade redeeming himself from gigli, so personally I’m reserving judgment until I see the darn thing… he deserves that much.

We’ll see what happens.

This has complete disaster written all over it. They are going to have a difficult time smoothly transitioning from the last trilogy with a new actor already. Toss in the Superman vs Batman angle and the movie will just become a mess. Throw in a little (too much) Affleck and it’s a disaster.

The biggest problem with Affleck in the role is that he doesn’t become Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne becomes Affleck (ick). The same thing happened when he was Jack Ryan. That was awful and it took a decade before they made another Clancy movie. I also can’t see Affleck as badass Batman. Batman’s one liners will be even more awful. I also can’t think of any Affleck roles that I liked since the 90’s and probably the only reason I liked those were because he was a supporting role in all of those movies. Affleck also played Affleck-ish roles in those movies so it worked (kind of).

I was hoping for a new Batman that didn’t have Bruce Wayne like the final Dark Knight movie setup. This would have brought some new angles to the film.

Godammit Hollywood, quit destroying the integrity of entirely fictional characters!!!

Exactly, right? I’m actually not opposed to Affleck, although I don’t have any particular love for him. He could probably do an alright Bruce Wayne. But nobody will outdo Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, and even trying is just a waste of time. It’s like trying to recast Wolverine or Iron Man.

My new cat does an outrageously good Wolverine impression. Right down to the side whiskers.

Exactly, right? I’m actually not opposed to Affleck, although I don’t have any particular love for him. He could probably do an alright Bruce Wayne. But nobody will outdo Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, and even trying is just a waste of time. It’s like trying to recast Wolverine or Iron Man.[/quote]

How can Affleck do an alright Bruce Wayne? The only roles that Affleck has ever done well were roles that were basically Ben Affleck. It’s like asking Schwarzenegger to not be Schwarzenegger in a role.

Clicked on the link - bah, it’s not even for a Batman movie but for Man of Steel 2 or a Superman VS Batman movie…The continuity may still be there in another Batman movie if you don’t bother with this one.

A British Superman alongside Ben Affleck will work for this movie.

:laughing:

I vote for Javier Bardem.

I would prefer he direct it… and let Matt Damon lead :stuck_out_tongue:

What about Hercules (Kevin Sorbo)? He could be Batman and his side-kick - Iolaus - could be Robin?

Surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

I know they were considering Matthew Goode as Batman and I was really hoping they’d go in that direction…maybe the idea of casting another Brit as another big superhero was too much to bear.

I don’t agree with Ben Affleck, but, BUT!! Remember the hoopla that came after Heath Ledger was cast? And let’s all remember how awesome that ended up being…(the movie, not how playing the character fucked up his psyche so much…)

Edit: Sorry, I don’t KNOW that they were considering Matthew Goode, there was RUMOURS they were considering Matthew Goode.