Battle of Nations!

Yay! Lots of people interested in this…

whoa, i just noticed that this thread is moved to Fun & Games…

Unless you’ve got evidence to the contrary, he should be wearing platform shoes, a rainbow poncho, and bell-bottom pants. That’s the story! I understand that this is called Battle of the Nations and a kilt might make things clearer for the audience, but Gingerman is all about authenticity, so let’s get real!

Maybe we could put a Scotish flag on the back of his poncho. . . just an idea.

Anyway, it’s elburro’s call. He’s the leader. :neutral:

Anyone know what a Scotish flag looks like? If we can’t figure it out by Tuesday, I vote we use an English one.

Unless you’ve got evidence to the contrary, he should be wearing platform shoes, a rainbow poncho, and bell-bottom pants. That’s the story! I understand that this is called Battle of the Nations and a kilt might make things clearer for the audience, but Gingerman is all about authenticity, so let’s get real!

Maybe we could put a Scotish flag on the back of his poncho. . . just an idea.

Anyway, it’s elburro’s call. He’s the leader. :neutral:

Anyone know what a Scotish flag looks like? If we can’t figure it out by Tuesday, I vote we use an English one.[/quote]

Scottish flag:

But don’t you think if we should just stick to chinese army? And if we’re good enough, we can join “battle of the nation” for the next year as a chinese army?

:doh: NO! I think we should stick to First Time Sandman Got Lucky. And let’s keep the government out of this.

Some of us have already put a lot of effort into this. Let’s not change the whole plan now.

Gee whiz, I thought it was all decided. :neutral:

Anyway, elburro is in charge, so he makes the call.

[quote=“mvrofiq”]Yay! Lots of people interested in this…
[/quote]

I don’t want to temper your enthusiasm but 23 replies is no a lot when you remove redundancy and off-topic subjects.

Seriously :

If some - let’s say between 5- 10 people would think a REAL past historical event could be brought forward and a project defended - I’d be happy joining in terns of connecting dots with the Dutch community.

Why Dutch?
Reenactment of a battle around Fort Zeelandia in Dansui might be an easy fit and Dutch are pretty outgoing on those things and mobilizing them can’t be so hard.
(Now - I have no clue if Zeelanai can still be used as a shooting location?)

Finding a counter team of Koxinga alike warriors can’t be difficult neither.

BUT; keeping feet on the ground:

• Where to look for uniforms, swords, guns and …funds?

Dreaming is great, but making it happen would be awesome :thumbsup:

Some famous battles taking place in Taiwan.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:B … ing_Taiwan

I’d also say that the Siege of Fort Zeelandia is the best candidate, if we can get enough Caucasians to participate. I was considering The Wushu incident, but that was more of a massacre than a battle. So, more of a one-sided story, and probably not cheery entertainment. The first time Sandman got lucky would probably invoke similar feelings in the audience, so I think we skip that one.

Regarding the equipment, I think this comes down to how authentic we really want this to be? I would suggest we don’t set the bar very high here. Papier-mache weapons and stick horses should do. As long it’s all done in the spirit of good fun (and perhaps some alcohol), we should be able to avoid the nitpicking on authenticity. For those interested in joining, we’d probably setup a workshop where whoever wanted to participate could come and make their costume and weapons following some templates. Sounds ok? If so, then that’s what I propose to my ‘connection’. From experience I know he’d be far more likely to go with something cheerful and fun instead of trying to make this as historically accurate as possible.

:astonished: What are you sayin’?

I thought we all agreed.

Maybe GingerMan should be the leader. I think authenticity is important. GingerMan is all about authenticity. No one can deny that.

And we haven’t really voted on a leader yet. Maybe we should have a vote. :neutral:

[quote=“zender”]:eek: What are you sayin’?

I thought we all agreed.

Maybe GingerMan should be the leader. I think authenticity is important. GingerMan is all about authenticity. No one can deny that.

And we haven’t really voted on a leader yet. Maybe we should have a vote. :neutral:[/quote]
No vote would be truly authentic.
I think you should carry out an authentic self-appointment.
Provided you are, or course, familiar in depth with the ripping yarn about the time Sandman first got lucky. Lucky with exactly what has not been authentically independently confirmed.

Looks like there was a reenactment back in 2009 for the Damshui battle against the French!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tsye52deVbQ#!

Saw some Western, Japanese and Chinese swords at the Taipei Underground Mall. Website here:
topmascot.com.tw/en/index.php

There must be some movie props lying around somewhere… :ponder:

Video guide on Battle of the nations…

Check this out!

Hmmm. Seems like a lot of rules in that video.

We may have to sacrifice some authenticity if we want to make this happen by Tuesday.

If anyone’s still interested in doing the Sandman reenactment, I know how to make a poncho out of an old rug. :neutral:

I checked out elburro’s link (link doesn’t work) to the French battle for Danshui. Is this supposed to be authentic?

Did the locals defeat the French by showing them large puppets? And did the French really run away like little girls and wave flags like that? (10:25-10:50) and (17:27) Is that the real story?

youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … ye52deVbQ#!