BBC article on lawns being a waste

Yes. It’s about $150/mo.

I love the snow. It makes my garden look like everybody else’s.

2 Likes

Has to be best solution.
U.K. households started concreting over the front lawns for off road parking, this contributes a drainage problem in some areas, causing flooding .

Not so.

1 Like

Absolutely. Its the vest way.

People buying houses that are stil strata/hoa are retarded in some way. Be it elderly, physically disabled or mentally disabled. Good reasons for paying rent on a house you think you bought. Those that buy into such a scam with a physically sound body cant claim the same for their mental capacities haha.

Whats amazing is in some very special areas the government puts such silly restrictions on home ownership rather than the strata council.

Fee simple or bust in my opinion!

Mine is $370.

Actually, it’d be inaccurate to say the HOA waters my lawn. That lawn is communal, not my own.

People at the BBC are likely to be able to afford a lawn, so they’re debating among themselves.

370/month rental fee on a house you “own”. What is it with tax and insurance added? Added together, better than renting? Better than owning without those fees? To each their own. But its like the franchise deal, better to be the collector than the worker.

You want me to pull out my docs when I’m not doing taxes or buying or refi’ing? Too much work.

The HOA fee in the neighborhood I grew up in was US$15/year. Paid for a pretty substantial chunk of green space for the neighborhood (at least 8 acres), though I’m pretty sure maintenance was done more or less on a volunteer basis (someone with a riding mower popping over there when done with their own yard).

Right now I’m applauding HOAs because many are blocking investment firms from buying homes in the area, which was driving up prices but also making it impossible to have consistent neighbors. Rules like “owner must live in the house for at least six months before renting it out” are sending people with only $$ in their eyes elsewhere.

For me, I would never want to live in a space with an HOA fee because it really is like paying rent on a home you bought. Even if it comes with a swimming pool, US$250/month isn’t going to get you a pool with a lifeguard, so if you want to swim on your own, you’re still going to need a gym membership. If you live anywhere north, you can only use an outdoor pool three months of the year anyway. In TW, bigger buildings with HOAs seem “reasonable” to me, with sports centers, private green space, community room, “reading room”, hotel type front desk service, someone to clean the otherwise would promptly become filthy halls. This is assuming you use those features. During COVID most of that shut down. And most residents seem to vote in favor of not paying for those features pretty soon after the community has been built.

Are you allowed to put holiday decorations on your lawn? Or let your dog (if you have one) poop on it? Will they also scoop the poop for you? :thinking: What other services do your HOA provide?

No, no, don’t know, landscaping, I can chuck stuff I don’t want anymore like broken couches and they’ll pick it up, a swimming pool that’s open from labor day to memorial day (or the other way around, can’t remember), two parking spots, one guest spot.

Who knew people in Las Vegas listened to the BBC? :wink:

Dang . I have 2 family members that pay 400plus cdn a month. They still have to pay garbage fees etc on top of that. Houses need to be a certain color, cannot raise animals, have vetable gardens etc.

I wonder where HOAs are different than strata?

Ours is a private road, so most goes for upkeep on the road and snow removal in winter, which includes the driveways. Other stuff we do ourselves. Holiday decorations and bird feeders are fine. Gardens need to be small and at the back of the house.