BBQ & garbage...kind of ranting

while i admit that there is a lot of improvement to be done here in taiwan regarding cleanliness,i’m somewhat appalled by the vigor of the insults and comments.

i’ve seen countless european parks being littered after such events as bonefire night,St Patrick’s day,music festivals…you name it.
i’ve never been to the US,but i’m pretty sure it’s the same there.

some peoples ought to look at their own backyard before dissing what is effectively “the host country”
to those who forever claim that the grass is much greener back home…go graze it!

stones/glass house and all that…

This is my back yard.

Went to the beach at Jinshan yesterday. Some sort of big concert on the beach left lots of rubbish, including a dead dog and used syringes! I fee like putting it all in bags and dumping at random in local’s windows.

if so then change that flag you so proudly display under your name

No, no, no, that’s my place of origin…

as you’re not one of the ones who actually spouted insults,this won’t really apply to you,anyway,here it goes;

peoples have come to taiwan,and i suspect that 99.99% of said peoples did come here willingly,so complaining about the “state” of the country isn’t really smart.

there are many immigrants in france who spend every breath complaining about france,and i often tell them the very same thing:
“you don’t like it? move-on!!”
same applied when i was in UK and some of my compatriots mouthed off…take a hike!!

what’s even more pathetic is to complain about things that happens here,just as much as it did in your country of origin.

parties,celebrations,rallies,manifestations are all subject to this aftermath,nothing to do with where you are,but more to do with the state of mind of the peoples attending those events.

i did read another thread where several individuals were “seriously thinking of packing their shit up and leave taiwan” because they saw 1 asshole mistreating an animal… :noway:

this shit happens in our own countries,anywhere in fact.getting your knickers in a twist over those unfortunate but somewhat common issues isn’t going to change diddly squat.

i’m actually VERY curious as to what those unhappy peoples DO in order to EDUCATE their hosts

What the hell are you wittering on about “Complaining about the French” “complaining about the Taiwanese?”
I’m complaining about the filthy pieces of human detritus that leave their garbage and crap for other people to enjoy because they’re selfish lazy fuckers that I’d like to ream with a red-hot poker.
And I’m sorry to say there was more than one nationality represented at Bitan last wekend.
Don’t get an anti-dirty scum-sucking blob of sewer sludge rant confused with an anti-Taiwanese rant.
I’ll tell you something else: at least two of those dirty bastards are Forumosans. Should I quit F.com too, then? :unamused:

i don’t know how anyone can try to rationalize why leaving your garbage around is okay…or culturally acceptable

there’s no excuse for littering

none

[quote=“EscapedFromTaiwan”][quote=“sandman”]
Because they’re filthy scum-sucking bastards with absolutely no sense of civic duty, aesthetics or consideration for other people. Bitan’s the same this morning. Absolute mouthbreathing fucking scum. These people are simply dirty fucking pigs. It’s really as simple as that. A blight on humanity. If these people had been aborted, they’d still have disgraced the planet for too long.[/quote]

This statement sounds familiar. Wasn’t it the response from China at the UN when Taiwan petitoned for satus last year? Anyways, can we have this translated on the back of a tshirt w/a small Taiwanese flag?[/quote]

sandman,
you did not mention the locals it’s true,but your post came across as directed to them,had you pointed out in your 1st post that there were a mix of nationalities,i would have aplauded your rant.

anyhow,the above quote will show that many peoples think it’s the taiwanese who are exclusively at fault.

Jesus fucking Christ. This is the very kind of motivation that I am bitching about. The Taiwanese school system indocrinates kids to do nothing that doesn’t have a carrot dangling in front of (and a leather strap waiting behind, should they slack off).

No wonder they don’t do anything responsible unless they get points for it to use to buy cheap plastic shit from the “reward cabinet”. They grow up and the points change into money for them to buy expensive plastic shit with.

anyone of any racial persuasion, color, ethnic grouping, etc etc etc that litters needs to get his/her asshole reamed with a big piece of plastic (and no grinning for you S n M peeps out there).

Polluting is sinful and disrepectful. And its shitty to get to a nice place anywhere in the world and find garbage !!! Everyone has to be educated and forced to comply with cleaning up and keeping clean the environment. Strong laws and penalties and ENFORCEMENT works. Look at Taiwans subways? squeaky clean. It didnt get that way without ENFORCEMENT.

Education and enforcement is the key. Singaporeans know all bout this.

WE all need to do our part to keep the environment clean so that we all can enjoy what we have.

I think they need to play environmental clips at movie houses (places where all Taiwanese often go) and keep pluggin away. And we need environmental police (not quite to the extent of singapore where they have toilet listeners who if they fail to hear a toilet flush can issue the offender a VERY OFFENSIVE ticket) who can write you up on the spot for a BIG FINE.

ONLY FORCE works on the Taiwanese. Not asking, not pointing out, not even education. ONLY FORCE and PUNISHMENT works for the little dragons.

Ironically, the only two times I have ever seen anyone consume beverages in the MRT were people in red shirts on their way to a protest rally. And they were standing in line for the train both times, not hiding off in a corner drinking. Red fucktarded shitheads.

:fume:

[quote=“dablindfrog”]sandman,
you did not mention the locals it’s true…[/quote]

Yes, its true.

That was your assumption… your mistake.

Not sandman’s responsibility. He mentioned no nationalities in particular. The fault lies with your inference that any particular nationality was implied.

sandman’s quote does nothing of the sort. Your inference is illustrative of something, however.

[quote=“dablindfrog”]there are many immigrants in France who spend every breath complaining about France,and i often tell them the very same thing:
“you don’t like it? move-on!!”[/quote]

Spoken like a true Frenchman. For shits and giggles go to www.google.com, type in “french military victories” in the search box and then select the “I’m feeling lucky” button.

[quote=“EscapedFromTaiwan”][quote=“dablindfrog”]there are many immigrants in France who spend every breath complaining about France,and i often tell them the very same thing:
“you don’t like it? move-on!!”[/quote]

Spoken like a true Frenchman. For shits and giggles go to www.google.com, type in “french military victories” in the search box and then select the “I’m feeling lucky” button.[/quote]

Well, aren’t we the clever one…

Tell me. Do you specialize in jokes that are so old they aren’t really that funny anymore or is it just a passing hobby of yours?

google-watch.org/newsday.html
Oh dear, a Canadian. What nationality were the guilty Forumosans? Can there be a connection?

Went camping this weekend: at the first campsite there was the same problem. Garbage left over from the barbecues. It made the campsite an eyesore. We spent about 10 minutes clearning up other people’s garbage and the result was that it was a lovely, picturesque spot.

Lately on some of our hikes we’ve been picking up trash along trails. It makes a world of difference. Sad thing is that the Neanderthals who liter will return.

You can’t possibly compare Europe to Asia when it comes to being clean.
Camping site in Europe are clean, here they aren’t, hiking trail in Europe, at least those i went to, were clean, here even those that need a permit to go to aren’t.
The total lack of any thoughts in regards to preserving the enviroment in the mind of the majority of taiwanese is incomprhensible to me.
I have picked up others’ garbage more than once in my years here.
Now, i started this thread with the example of the Ming Chuan Park and the BBQ festivities and how dirty the place was afterwards and you compared it to a single major event in Europe like concert etc… it’s a bit different I suppose.
I lived in France for some years and it is not even close to taiwan when it comes to being clean.

i said there was a lot to be done here,more than in europe that’s true,but we’re no snow white either :wink:

[quote=“igorveni”]
The total lack of any thoughts in regards to preserving the enviroment in the mind of the majority of Taiwanese is incomprhensible to me.[/quote]

that’s because,like many foreigners,even long timers like you,are still judging this host country with western eyes.
different culture have different priorities,taiwanese are probably as baffled by our lack of drive for money/possessions than we are to their lack of respect towards mother nature

[quote=“igorveni”]
Now, i started this thread with the example of the Ming Chuan Park and the BBQ festivities [/quote]

this is a 1 off event…right?
so then:

to me,BBQ fest was on par with similar get together as bonefire night and the like,the comparison was fair IMHO

[quote=“igorveni”]
I lived in France for some years and it is not even close to Taiwan when it comes to being clean.[/quote]

i hope i got that the wrong way :smiley:

Well, I am not the only one who is judging this country with western frame of mind, the Taiwanese goverment is doing a big campaign on preserving the enviroment, so it is not the “foreigners viewpoint” your analogy is pointless.
The goverment is trying to educate people, so it is obviously something they want to change, being dirty has nothing to do with the culture, it is just lack of education and courtesy towards others.

[quote]that’s because,like many foreigners,even long timers like you,are still judging this host country with western eyes.
different culture have different priorities,Taiwanese are probably as baffled by our lack of drive for money/possessions than we are to their lack of respect towards mother nature [/quote]
Completely untrue, if it was the goverment wouldn’t make any effort to clean Taipei or to educate people in picking up their garbage.