Beach bungalows on Phi Phi Island? Phuket?

Does anybody know if the beach bungalows on Phi Phi Island in Thailand have been rebuilt after the tsunami? I just need a quiet spot where I can relax, read and maybe sip a cocktail under a palmtree. Yeah, I’m TIRED. Places to stay on either Phi Phi Island or Phuket? Thanks!

coralislandresort.com/accom.html

That’s right! That’s the beach right outside.

Rates ate really reasonable and if it’s peace and quiet you’re after this is the place. It’s halfway between Phuket and Phi Phi. Wonderful snorkelling! Beach chairs at no charge under the palms right outside your door. AND not touts!

A

Phi Phi was fine and had many choices of bungalows when I was there in February.

Visible damage from the tsunami was mostly evident when looking at before and after photos. Also, the reefs around the island were pretty dead in many places. I’m not sure if all of that was due to the tsunami though, since boat anchors were being thrown about with abandon and I saw a few tourists standing on coral.

Can anyone confirm if any airlines are flying direct to Phuket from Taiwan ? Talking to my agent they say no :frowning:

so to get their is going to take best part of a day with a transfer in BKK…

If no direct connections, any other decent beach locations with direct flight access from Taiwan ?

[quote=“Connel”]Can anyone confirm if any airlines are flying direct to Phuket from Taiwan ? Talking to my agent they say no :frowning:

If no direct connections, any other decent beach locations with direct flight access from Taiwan ?[/quote]

Find a new agent. China air flies direct to HKT from TPE

[quote=“JMcNeill”][quote=“Connel”]Can anyone confirm if any airlines are flying direct to Phuket from Taiwan ? Talking to my agent they say no :frowning:

If no direct connections, any other decent beach locations with direct flight access from Taiwan ?[/quote]

Find a new agent. China air flies direct to HKT from TPE[/quote]

I just spoke to a second agent and they say CI stopped the direct flight last year ! what gives…

None of the Air Asia and other low-cost-carriers flying to Taiwan yet?

Well, on a cursory glance at Phuket airlines they claim: http://www.phuket.com/island/travel.htm

[quote]Phuket International Airport receives direct flights from countries all over the world as well as connecting flights from Bangkok bringing more than 3 million visitors a year to this emerald isle.

Scheduled direct flights include:

China Airline - Taipei, Khaoshung[/quote]

HG

[quote=“Connel”][quote=“JMcNeill”][quote=“Connel”]Can anyone confirm if any airlines are flying direct to Phuket from Taiwan ? Talking to my agent they say no :frowning:

Find a new agent. China air flies direct to HKT from TPE[/quote]

I just spoke to a second agent and they say CI stopped the direct flight last year ! what gives…[/quote]

Retards… I think CI does fly from TPE direct, looks like it is not daily but every other day… you would have thought an agent would be smart enough to say “there is no direct flight on Sat, but there is on Sunday”… :fume:

What do you expect? This is Taiwan, I always research everything myself before contacting an agent to see if they can do better.

Alternatively, a flight with Thai Airways might mean less tinme in Bangkok domestic airport.

Or again, going through Macau.

HG

Depending on your schedule, I would avoid BKK like the plague in the end of September. Everyone is scheduled to move to the new airport on September 28th, even though all of the airlines are saying that they won’t be ready.

The airport tax is going up to Baht700, too. Bastards! That must be quite a money spinner for the Thai government.

HG

WooHoo I did manage to get a direct flight with CI.

Turns out they fly every other day (even numbers of the month) and of course the date I had asked for was odd. I can’t blame the agents, it was my fault I don’t understand Taiwanese culture.

CI is also increasing their direct flights to Guam from twice a week to 4 times.

Next question any suggestions which mid-priced resort for a family w/ 2yo daughter.

China Scarelines have a great set out routes, nice staff (I am told), and a generous frequent flier programme. I just wish they wouldn’t keep dropping the planes. You’re prepared to fly them, and I would love to be confident enough in their ability to not kill me, so do you know something I don’t? They haven’t had a total all-souls loss since 2002 so they’re definitely overdue one. What’s the state of play?

China Airlines has made a lot of changes in the past few years to work on their safety record. They have mostly western (or western trained)pilots now. I know quite a few ex-Air Canada pilots are now flying for China Air.
I fly them for most of my trips within Asia and have nothing bad to say about them.

[quote=“JMcNeill”]China Airlines has made a lot of changes in the past few years to work on their safety record. They have mostly western (or western trained)pilots now. I know quite a few ex-Air Canada pilots are now flying for China Air.
I fly them for most of my trips within Asia and have nothing bad to say about them.[/quote]

Ex-Air Canada you say, not Canadian English teachers looking for non-English teaching gigs, one hopes!

HG

Hey Connel, which travel agent did you talk to? I was actually looking for flights yesterday as well but was told that they are all booked out…