Beach Cleanup 5/25 zhong jiao

Beach Clean Up!!! 5/25 Sunday morning everyone who has interest in helping out the environment or helping clean Taiwan’s beaches is meeting up at 中角 Zhong Jiao beach just 5 minutes north of 金山 Jin Shan to pick up trash, make the beach beautiful again, then afterwards swim, surf with a discount on rentals, play games, and eat! If you would like to bring gloves and garbage bags, that would really help out. Help the beach and have fun in the sun!
Directions: We will be meeting at 8:00 am at Taipei Main station Kuo Kuang bus station to Jin Shan. Catch the bus to Jin Shan 110 NT, get off at a Jin Shan bus stop, catch the bus to Dan Shui 20NT, cheaper for students, and ride about 5 minutes past the first 7/11 outside Jin Shan to Zhong Jiao Beach where the cafe shops are.
OR catch a bus to Ji Long (Keelung), get off at the main station and catch the bus to Dan Shui, get off at Zhong Jiao beach.
OR take the MRT to Dan Shui, catch the bus to Ji Long or Jin Shan, get off at Zhong Jiao ( a little bit of a longer ride.)
Event hosted by NTU Roots and Shoots club.
Please invite your friends and let me know who is coming!

I was counting on the foreigners to come help out, they are always more active about environmental stuff. But they didn’t! I, one other foreigner from my school, and 6 Taiwanese people cleaned a section of the beach until we couldn’t anymore. Next time I hope people are more willing to help out. Afterwards we swam, flew kites, and hung around, then went to Ji Long for some seafood for a jolly old time.
I hope in the future more people will have events like this.

Hi there,

We’re planning a beach clean up in Kaoshiung for early July and we’ve not done this in a foreign country before. Do we need a permit, do you know? Do you have any tips for us to avoid any mishaps such as pissing off locals, getting people out.

Any help would be great. Thanks

–Tim

There’s always the hitch that volunteer work is illegal for foreigners in Taiwan, under certain circumstances. (Who thought up this stupid law?)

Have you ever heard of someone getting in trouble for volunteering?
If so, know the punishments?

Yea, I know someone that volunteered to play the bongo’s for an aboriginial culture festival.
I know his punishment too.
DEPORTATION.

My suggestion, talk to the locals at the beach and ask them if there have been any cleanups before. Most of them will probably have participated in one, or at least would be able to help you in some way. Talk to the local police, talk to the city government about getting a garbage truck to pick up the trash, everyone will want to help you unless there is something that they wouldn’t like about it. I know many Taipei police officers that tell me foreigners volunteering is not illegal as far as they know, even if it is they wouldn’t stop a foreigner from doing something like cleaning a beach unless they were afraid it would make them look bad. But everyone in the beach cleanup I set up was really accommodating, sending me in the right direction of the people i needed to talk to to arrange everything, the local police gave us trash bags, Jonny Rose’s surf shop gave us water, everyone was very kind and happy we were helping out the local businesses by cleaning the beach.