Beaches near Taichung (Wufeng)?

Hi everyone,

I am french and I just arrive in Taichung where I am student at Asia University.
I really would love to go to beaches (a clean one) and I am searching on google map, but can’t find anything. :frowning:
I am a bit lost and I can’t read mandarin.

Can someone help me with that?
I have not yet a bicycle or scooter, I am looking for something accesible with bus.
I know some are going on the coast, but I can’t find where to take it on google map.

Thanks for any help!
:notworthy:

My girlfriend, who went to Asia University, says there are no buses direct to any beaches. (If you look at a map, Wufeng is waaaaaaaaay inland, near the mountains.)

According to her, it takes about 2 hours to scooter to the nearest beach, and you have to cross through all of downtown Taichung to get there. You could consider going to rives instead – they’ll be much closer!

There are no decent beaches in the Taichung area to cut a long story short. Well okay there is an abandoned beach area in ‘qing shui’ that might be worth a visit once.

The nearest good beaches would be in Miaoil but by far the best beaches are North and South of the island, far away by train or bus.

Your best bet is to find some rivers pools in the mountains.

You can get a train North to Zhunan/Tongxiao in Miaoli, they have a beach resort area there, not too bad. In my younger and single days I would offer for take you there :slight_smile: but looks like some other people of locals can help you find these beaches!

May I suggest you forget the beach? Tu ne trouveras ni la cote d’Azur ni le Golfe du Morbihan ici.
Instead, think about walking and hiking especially since you study in Asia uni.

Weekends in Kenting if he is mad about beaches. If swimming, come on, there must be toms of swimming holes in the mountain rivers behind Wufeng.

Thank you all for your answer… but I really love to swim :slight_smile:

I am gonna check the places you gave me.

-Do you know how to get from the nearest rivers pools from my place?

-Since I don’t have class on Friday (and Monday morning) I can take the MRT and from there go to a place where’s there’s some beaches (I can stay for the weekeng).
What would be a great choice then?

Thank you a lot !

:slight_smile:

MRT? I would think that your best bet for some decent beaches would be to take the High Speed Rail to Zuoying, and from then a bus to kenting. From Wufeng to Wuri is not all that far, 20 min in a taxi, I think.

Mountain swimming holes? Drive up the valleys in the mountains, keep an eye on the little river in the middle of said valley, and once the water is a little blocked up and the river fairly accessible, you got a spot.

Thanks a lot, I will try it :slight_smile:

For this one the train you would have to get is the TRA trains, it’s best if you can find somebody to go with you.

In Taichung area you have DaAn beach 大安 where you can swim, of course it is not Kenting but it worth it.

Thanks, I will check which bus go there.

However, I was thinking, maybe for me the easiest is to take the HSR and go to Tainan where’s there’s a lot of place to swim…

Well, I went to Da’an Beach, I wouldn’t recommend though, seems there’s pollution trouble and you can’t really swim (you have to go so far from the shore).

I’ve put pictures here :

strategicalblog.com/language/en/ … aan-beach/

Thanks anyway. :sunglasses:

Well, I went to Da’an Beach, I wouldn’t recommend though, seems there’s pollution trouble and you can’t really swim (you have to go so far from the shore).

I’ve put pictures here :

strategicalblog.com/language/en/ … aan-beach/

Thanks anyway. :sunglasses:[/quote]

I love that someone tagged it as 'grey sad beach" :popcorn: great typo :slight_smile:

Unfortunately you can learn a lot about Taiwan’s short-sighted development policies by visiting a place like Da-an beach.

I am always amazed by the lack of interest in the Coastline of Taiwan. It is quite stunning in places,although desolate and wild, still beautiful. My Taiwanese friends seem to have an opinion that Kenting is the only decent place. Maybe that is why they let the other beaches go. Too windy, typhoons etc,etc,. :no-no:

I am so surprised too.

The touristical potential is huge, but still, the shores are abandoned, trashed and difficult to access…
:eh:

Can’t believe it, and above of it, with this heat, that would be so great to swim.

PS: I am the one who tagged the post :slight_smile:

[quote=“Aura”]I am so surprised too.

PS: I am the one who tagged the post :slight_smile:[/quote]

Did you write Sad instead of Sand on purpose ? for “grey sad beach” :slight_smile:

Indeed.
:wink:

This beach is definitely sad.

Da’an beach is worth going to because of the experience of waking in knee-deep water for nearly half a mile out from the shore at low tide. In that regard, it can even be surreal. But yeah, it’s not a place to build sand castles and suntan. You can just look at the crabs and the wind turbines. I can see why people don’t think too highly of it.