Bear gets some satisfaction before the End

[quote]Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, said he was approaching the downed 320-pound bear in Rothrock State Forest in central Pennsylvania on Monday, the first day of bear-hunting season, when it came after him.

Beauchamp, of nearby Newville, had just shot the bear with a .444-caliber rifle and was within 15 feet of it. He turned to run, but the bear put a claw around his hip and bit him twice, once in each thigh, before dying.

“The bear wasn’t attacking 100 percent. I mean really, it was dead on its feet when it came up. If it would have been 100 percent I wouldn’t have been standing there,” Beauchamp said Friday.

Other hunters heard a growl and came to Beauchamp’s aid.

“It was shock at first. It’s like he came alive, like ‘boom.’ I guess he growled, like the other people heard. That motivated me to turn around and start running away,” he said.[/quote]

Bitten in both thighs by a 320lb black bear! That’s just incredible that he survived.

What’s up with the rifle though? A .444 RIFLE??? Isn’t that Dirty Harry’s sidearm??

Jeesas! They made a .44 mag into a rifle?

JDS -
The .44 Magnum of ‘Dirty Harry’ fame fires a bullet thst is .44 caliber.
There are a number of rifles that use the .44 magnum round. Good companion guns for folks who carry the .44 mag handgun on their hunting trips. 2 guns,same cartridge
The .444 round is also a .44 caliber bullet - usually larger -, but the case is larger and holds more powder.
Also the .444 rouds, which is a rifle caliber - most commonly the .444 Marlin,
start around 280 grains in weight. Going up to the area of 405 grains or so.
.44 Mag rounds usually top out around 300 grains at the high end.

The .444 round is usually referred to as a "brush-buster’ round.
Used for hunting in dense brush where a shot on targe may well br through
light or medium brush. It is felt that the larger, heavier round will be less affected
by possible deflection by the branches that it might encounter on its
way to the intended target.

The .44 round is also one of the most accurate rounds. It posesses’ what is
referrd to as ‘inherent accuracy.’ This has to do with technical things like
sectional density and ballistic co-efficient and some other techno mumbo jumbo.
I have always been a fan of the .44 Special round. Accurate, easy to shoot and
effective. And then there’s the .45 acp…but thats another story.