Beautiful DPP Spokeswoman/Legislature

From what was presented in the China Post article:

[quote=“China Post”]She requested the standard check-up for rape victims and the hospital immediately reported the case to the police in accordance with the law.

The alleged victim, surprised by the arrival of the police at the hospital, apparently stated that she had not intended to lay charges and only requested the check-up to “retain evidence.”

Police told her the case will be investigated because sexual assault is a felony.

The woman initially refused to reveal any details about the alleged attack,[/quote]
“retain evidence”?? Maybe she was going to decide later whether to charge him or not, but it also sounds like she might have been getting ready to blackmail him in some way (maybe as little as “marry me or I’ll tell your wife!” or maybe as much as “hah! now you are Beijing’s slave!”).

It does sound suspicious, doesn’t it!

I’m sure Beijing has planted hundreds of attractive women in Taiwan to entrap men who could be useful to them (soldiers with access to military secrets, government officials, lawmakers, scientists, etc.) in exactly such situations. I’m not suggesting it’s so in this case, but it’s a possibility that the police will need to check out.

And smooth-talking forumosa posters with dashing good looks. That’s what you want to write, Omni, isn’t it?

actually, the Taipei Times had a better story today. and Apple Daily had more infor today. turns out there is Woman A and Woman B, and both work in his office. apparently, A decided to get B in trouble, a kind gyn-mail, if you catch me drift.

Can anyone enligthen us as to how this schadenfreude is going to play out?

Who cares? :unamused:

[quote=“Astro34”]I am trying to remember the name of this very attractive woman in the DPP, can anyone help? A couple of years back, I believe she was the party spokeswoman, and then during the 2001 year-end elections, I think she ran for the Legislative Yuan. But since then, I haven’t heard much about her.

She is in her late 20’s to mid 30’s, and she had been portrayed in the media as a looker and a possible rising star. Can anyone name her???[/quote]
Why do you want to know?

You guys think this is funny? Have you ever had the best years of your life taken away while you wasted away in a Taiwan jail?

You are lucky that no one judges your outward appearance the same way that you seem to make fun of others.

What does this have to do with the first poster’s original question? Nothing. It adds nothing to this thread. If it is an issue which you feel strongly that other village idiots are interested in, then why not start a new thread called Salacious News and Unsubstantiated Gossip.

People like to gossip about sex. It is a natural human instinct. Stop being so sensitive.

Ms. Anna Wang, let me set you straight,
Annette Lu was in jail for barely one year if I remember right. She has been exaggerating her story and her “role” in Taiwanese history a little more each year. Which fits in with her brainless self aggrandizement. I actually think Miss Immodest has fairly severe mental problems, and I don’t say that to be funny, it is my professional opinion. If I knew a little more about psychology I would be able to figure out which DSM III catagory she fits it.

Which of course makes her a perfect Vice President for “Fantasy Land Formosa”.

The island is a hoot, it really is.

Herr Doctor Brian Freud

Judging from the extensive coverage that this story has received in Taiwan’s print and electronic media over the last couple of days, it would seem that the majority of people in our host society are deeply interested in it too.

anette lu met fidel castro in panama the other day. she was jailed for 5 years, not one year, correct me if i am wrong. Mr Kennedy seems to think it was just one year and she is exaggerating now. He might be right cause he is a lawyer, BUT the Taipei Times today says 5 years in jail. her mother died while she was in jail. Mr Kennedy, can you confirm?

Anna Wang,
Your points are well taken. We are just a bunch of silly people who like to know what is going on here on Fantasy Island, in Kennedy’s sense of things. We mean no harm, and welcome to the fray.
Cheers,
Formosa

[quote=“www.roc-taiwan.org”]Lu then became increasingly active in tang-wai

Two extrememly poor sources for information (on anything) are:
The Taipei Times…or any Taiwanese newspaper for that matter
and
The GIO, Government Information Office.

It brings up an interesting point, that the DPP lead government of Chen Shui-bian is doing exactly the same kind of “myth-building” about how the current DPP leadership “created Taiwan democracy”, “invented human rights”, discovered electricity and so forth; that the KMT used to do with Peanut (CKS).

Miss “The World is Centered On Me” (i.e. VP Lu) was sentenced to 12 years, but because of the work of such groups as Amnesty International she ended up only being in jail for about 1 year. What complicates the story was that she was in and out of jail (for one or two day periods) for a number of years. That is what I vaguely remember as the story. To confirm that I would have to get the original AI documents which I have dontated to Fu Jen University.

And I am not inclined to waste that much time on it. I actually, at this point, don’t give a damn how long she was in prison because it is irrelevant to the current fact that she is a mentallly deranged, self centered clown.

She does however provide a good view of what many Taiwanese aspire to be. So you can learn something about the locals’ mindset by observing Miss Modest. The first thing you learn is that modesty is not a Taiwanese virtue…regardless of what the Lonely Planet Guide says. (I am not blasting Robert Storey, he has been around and the book is good…overall.)

take care,
Brian the Great Educator

Brian Kennedy wrote:

[quote]Two extrememly poor sources for information (on anything) are:
The Taipei Times…or any Taiwanese newspaper for that matter
and
The GIO, Government Information Office. [/quote]

What would you consider good sources of information on Taiwan? Where is the lay public to go?

Also, since you yourself write for GIO magazines, does this mean your words are edited, and or constrained by editorial policy to the extent that they are not trustworthy either? Or is there a key to your work to get at the truth. EG, read every yes to mean no, every positive to mean negatve, turn every chart upside down, double every estimate, and so on. :slight_smile:

How about this site?

china.org.cn/english/taiwan/7774.htm

Lying off the southeastern coast of the Chinese mainland, Taiwan is China’s largest island and forms an integral whole with the mainland. Taiwan has belonged to China since ancient times. . .

Since the founding of the People’s Republic of China, 157 countries have established diplomatic relations with China. All these countries recognize that there is only one China and that the Government of the People’s Republic of China is the sole legal government of China and Taiwan is part of China.

I didn’t realize this was considered untrue by certain sectors. I mean, from all the accounts I’ve read, it rings fairly true to me. Is it not true that a lot of those guys 15-20 years ago had long hair and facial hair and looked a little like ragtag wartime hippies protesting during their college years? I recall seeing some pictures of various activists during that time and thinking it looked quite funny. Also, isn’t it true that a lot of those guys did jail time for their political activities?

I haven’t heard the part about being in and out of jail frequently. I did know about AI. Did you get to meet the AI activists from the US group that started the Annette Lu campaign that the DPP flew out to attend the presidential inauguration? There were four as I recall.

You may be right that the DPP is taking a little much credit for Taiwan democracy and that in reality international pressure and other factors had a lot to do with it. I’d be interested to know the internal dynamics of KMT politics at the time. Did Lee Teng Hui just rise to the top and suddenly magnanimously declare freedom and democracy for all?

Still, I’d say it’s a little cynical to act like the DPP activists weren’t important. The fact (at least as I understand them from all those unrealiable informatino sources) is that the KMT was a bunch of repressive tyrants for many years and DPP activists played an important role in raising political consciousness among Taiwanese at home and abroad.

Here’s an article I dug up from the TT about AI’s role in helping Annette Lu

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/local/archives/2000/05/19/36612

[quote=“MiakaW”]HG:
you are right about Bi-khim, she is mixed, her mom is Taiwanese and her dad is American. She speaks good English and she have a great talent and a good head on her shoulder! I like her a lot!

~miakaW~[/quote]

Other way round - Taiwanese father, US mother.

Sorry for the long delay in replying. This thread has really gotten off on a tangent, hasn’t it?

Anyway, thank you all for your help, but it was Cold Front who nailed it. The person I was looking for was Chiu YiYing. Thank goodness someone was able to come up with it, I was racking my brain (Thanks Cold Front!). I couldn’t tell from the picture Cold Front first posted, but after doing some internet searches in Chinese and English, I was able to find more photos. Those large eyes and full lips…yeah, that’s her! I was mistaken about her being a DPP Spokesperson, though. She was on the DPP Standing Committee and that is when I must have always seen her on the tube.

AnnaWang: You wanted to know why I wanted to find this woman? No particular reason really, she just popped into my head recently. If you have anything more to ask or say, you can message me.