Beautiful today

what is “You look beautiful today.” in taiwanese? thanks :smiley:

你今天看上去真漂亮

And that is said exactly how in Taiwanese cloud?

I’ll give it a shot…

Li(1) kin(7)-a(1)-jit(8) chin(7) sui(2).
Literally - you today very beautiful, in Maryknoll romanization.

If that looks like double-dutch, try this…

Li gin ah jit jin swee.
Li (high) gin (middle, g as in ‘good’) ah (high) jit (high and short, tongue back a bit, like zh) jin (middle) swee (straight down, like 4th tone in Mandarin).

I warn you, I dropped out of Taiwanese class a year ago, so you might want to get ready to run before saying this to someone, just in case I got it wrong and they decide to slap you for it!!! Good luck.

Sounds good to me…although I’m not an authority on Taiwanese by any stretch!!

Cloud, you have already been warned. Keep posting in Chinese characters without English or explanation, and your posts will be floundered. This is not a threat, I’m simply telling you what is going to happen.

[quote=“L-A”]I’ll give it a shot…

Li(1) kin(7)-a(1)-jit(8) chin(7) sui(2).
Literally - you today very beautiful, in Maryknoll romanization.

If that looks like double-Dutch, try this…

Li gin ah jit jin swee.
Li (high) gin (middle, g as in ‘good’) ah (high) jit (high and short, tongue back a bit, like zh) jin (middle) swee (straight down, like 4th tone in Mandarin).

I warn you, I dropped out of Taiwanese class a year ago, so you might want to get ready to run before saying this to someone, just in case I got it wrong and they decide to slap you for it!!! Good luck.[/quote]

I just hope that sasayins is male and wants to say this to a female.

alternative to chin7 sui2 would be chiok2 sui2, which would sound a bit more enthusiastic about her looks.

Dear all,

L-A wrote:

[quote]Li(1) kin(7)-a(1)-jit(8) chin(7) sui(2).
Literally - you today very beautiful, in Maryknoll romanization.[/quote]

and

rice_t wrote:

What are the characters for “li1 kin7 a1 jit8 chin7 sui2” and for “chiok2 sui2”?

I guess it would be:

你今仔日 chin(7) 水.

but what is chin(7) and chiok2?

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

chin(7) adv. : very
chiok(2) adv. :very and almost the most , to emphasize

chin sui: very beautiful
chiok sui: such a beautiful …

chin tian: it’s hurt.
chiok tian: ouch! it’s god danm hurt…

:smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile: :smiley: :slight_smile:

You’re right on kin7 a1 jit8 = 你今仔日

Chin (very) is 真 (‘zhen’ in mandarin).

Brian

Dear all,

So it would be

[quote=“Kobo-Daishi”]Dear all,

So it would be …

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.[/quote]

It would be
你今仔日真嫷 li1 kin7 a1 jit4 chin7 sui2
Or 你今仔日足嫷 . li1 kin7 a1 jit4 chiok2 sui2

你今仔日嫷 tang-tang
褲底破一空

Could you provide Romanization with the characters here, please, if possible? I don’t recognize all of them in Taiwanese or else I’d do it for you. :blush:

Dear

[quote=“Kobo-Daishi”]How come you have

Dear all,

TaiOanKok wrote:

Is there a lot of variation among the Taiwanese spoken on Taiwan?

And is it mainly broken down into a northern speech and a southern speech or are there others?

Are the differences mainly in tone or also in ways of pronunciation? And word choices?

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

Yes.

I’ve heard varying accounts. Northern/Taizhong/Southerm/Ilan. Or maybe just North/South/Ilan.

I think word choices are the biggest differences. There’s a lot of various ways of saying many basic words. The Maryknoll books use Taizhong ‘dialect’ apparently. Another book I have (生活台語) Has a lot fo varieties like:

boe/be (not/meiyou)
goan/gun (we/us)
an-ne/ an-ni (zheiyang)
kui-se/kui-si (gui xing)
sin-se/sian-si (xiansheng)
i-su/i-seng (doctor)

And that’s just lesson 1 and 2.

Brian

thanks guyz, actually ill use this sentence to be friend to a taiwanese girl, hehehe, i really want to learn mandarin, but dont know where to start, can anyone explain to me the tones. thanks :smiley: